OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 01:10:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's wrong with the kids these days?  (Read 747 times) Average Rating: 0
Adela
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« on: June 03, 2014, 06:16:05 PM »

This is so disturbing.  Every time I read the news there is some horrible situation where young children are doing evil deeds.   What is wrong with the kids?  Are we fooling ourselves in thinking we can handle vampire movies and horror websites and not be affected?  Should we go back to making kids read books like Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm and banning books and movies and music?  Have we gotten too loose in the name of freedom of speech?

http://www.jsonline.com/news/crime/waukesha-police-2-12-year-old-girls-plotted-for-months-to-kill-friend-b99282655z1-261534171.html
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 06:19:28 PM »

Should we go back to making kids read books like Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm and banning books and movies and music?

Just make them read books, rather than watching movies. Roald Dahl knew what he was on about. (And he was a dab hand at horror himself, too.)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 06:21:45 PM by Arachne » Logged

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 06:25:17 PM »

banning books and movies and music? 

The better question would be: what's wrong with parents these days. Actually raising your children could have prevented this.

Banning books for 12 year olds would leave them uneducated.

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
Adela
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 06:29:49 PM »

The better question would be: what's wrong with parents these days. Actually raising your children could have prevented this.

Yes, I was more just deeply troubled by what is going on with kids these days. Something is seriously wrong.  I didn't mean to ban all books, just wondering if there is a point where you have to be more firm in what you say is appropriate for children.  These girls were on some horror website and became a fan of some fantasy scary figure and thought they needed to kill someone.  This wasn't a book, but a website.   But, so many books nowadays have such dark and depressing themes.  Where is the hope in the nihilistic literature, why do we (as a society) make fun of old fashioned ways and ideals?  Everything just seems so insane with how many kids are resorting to such evil.  And, why are parents so lax and lazy?
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 07:20:19 PM »

Yes, I was more just deeply troubled by what is going on with kids these days. Something is seriously wrong.  I didn't mean to ban all books, just wondering if there is a point where you have to be more firm in what you say is appropriate for children.  These girls were on some horror website and became a fan of some fantasy scary figure and thought they needed to kill someone.  This wasn't a book, but a website.   But, so many books nowadays have such dark and depressing themes.  Where is the hope in the nihilistic literature, why do we (as a society) make fun of old fashioned ways and ideals?  Everything just seems so insane with how many kids are resorting to such evil.  And, why are parents so lax and lazy?
This is a terrible situation, but it's hardly an issue of "kids these days."

Remember when teenagers were supposedly unable to listen to Marilyn Manson without killing themselves?

Remember when Dungeons and Dragons was going to lead children into ritual murder?

Sometimes a young sociopath slips through the cracks and takes someone down along with them. Sometimes two are involved. Sometimes kids are just evil without any underlying condition or cause. But this perceived uptick in evil children is just that — a matter of perception. We see more examples of it today because we have the means by which we can see more examples, and in greater detail, than we used to, and as a society we devour this kind of sordid story.

And who said their parents were lax and lazy? Kids from even good homes read stuff without their parents knowledge all the time.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy.

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 07:27:50 PM »

Kids these days are just early versions of people these days. What's wrong is we lack a robust Church to guide us (as a people).

In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 07:30:09 PM »

But this perceived uptick in evil children is just that — a matter of perception.

Aren't there regular articles talking about the ever-increasing problem of violent youth crime in the UK? I'm not sure it's entirely limited to mere perception.
xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 07:36:37 PM »

Parents are a problem, and the culture is the problem. We don't have any more values as a culture. Nobody cares about 'life' or 'liberty' or 'freedom' nobody cares about those ideas anymore. Their morality and ethics are not derived from Christianity or the Enlightenment, but from a culture of materialism, expediency, and consumerism.

Martin Luther King said that the three greatest evils of society are militarism, racism and materialism. And I am inclined to believe him.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 07:39:26 PM by xOrthodox4Christx » Logged

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 07:43:13 PM »

... Martin Luther King said that the three greatest evils of society are militarism, racism and materialism. And I am inclined to believe him.

The greatest evil in any people in any era is hubris (so he wasn't wrong).

Parents are a problem, and the culture is the problem. We don't have any more values as a culture. Nobody cares about 'life' or 'liberty' or 'freedom' nobody cares about that anymore. Their morality and ethics are not derived from Christianity or the Enlightenment, but from a culture of materialism, expediency, and consumerism. ...

I think venerating what I've marked in bold put us in this mess. At any rate, the values we'd do well to care about are the ancient ones of piety, temperance, courage, and wisdom (or better yet, what's in II Pet 1:5ff).
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 07:45:23 PM by Porter ODoran » Logged

In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
LBK
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 07:47:45 PM »

The youth of every era has been criticized for every ill under the sun.

You are a hopeless lot. You know the names of all the charioteers but not even the names of the evangelists. (St John Chrysostom)
kelly
UNSUBSCRIBED from the world
OC.net guru

laughter is the best medicine

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2014, 07:52:18 PM »

I can think of young murderers for most past generations - evil isn't a new thing.

kelly and I spend all our free time collecting pictures of Russian monarchs.  Its a thing we do.
Jonathan Gress
Warned
Archon

Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2014, 07:58:20 PM »

Maybe the reason every generation criticizes youth is because youth are always getting worse. Does anyone find that plausible?
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2014, 08:05:07 PM »

I can think of young murderers for most past generations - evil isn't a new thing.

Child murderers actually are a fairly new thing. A while ago I was doing some research, and, before Mary Bell, in 1968, history only records, like, one case in the 1700s and one in the Middle Ages. The bulk of cases has happened since the '90s and has been confined to U.S. (where a full fifth of child homicides are by children) and U.K.

LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2014, 08:05:46 PM »

Maybe the reason every generation criticizes youth is because youth are always getting worse. Does anyone find that plausible?

I don't.
xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2014, 08:09:36 PM »

... Martin Luther King said that the three greatest evils of society are militarism, racism and materialism. And I am inclined to believe him.

Parents are a problem, and the culture is the problem. We don't have any more values as a culture. Nobody cares about 'life' or 'liberty' or 'freedom' nobody cares about that anymore. Their morality and ethics are not derived from Christianity or the Enlightenment, but from a culture of materialism, expediency, and consumerism. ...

I think venerating what I've marked in bold put us in this mess. At any rate, the values we'd do well to care about are the ancient ones of piety, temperance, courage, and wisdom (or better yet, what's in II Pet 1:5ff).

Well, from my knowledge of the Enlightenment, those principles were based on reason. It's not reasonable to kill someone for fiat paper. It's not reasonable to be enslaved to Monsanto, or to feed it to humans. It's not reasonable to vote for someone because you are afraid of being called a racist. It's not reasonable to spy on all Americans when the terrorists are young Muslim males. It's not reasonable to grope the elderly and children when passing on the airlines.

I could go on, but I think you get my point.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 08:10:28 PM by xOrthodox4Christx » Logged

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
Jonathan Gress
Warned
Archon

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2014, 08:11:30 PM »

I don't.

Well every saint I've read bemoans the decline of virtue, so it sounds like they believed it, at any rate.
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2014, 08:12:38 PM »

The assertions here are much to broad to be a point. Leaving aside the Enlightenment, what is reason and who can claim it how are large topics.

Well, from my knowledge of the Enlightenment, those principles were based on reason. It's not reasonable to kill someone for fiat paper. It's not reasonable to be enslaved to Monsanto, or to feed it to humans. It's not reasonable to vote for someone because you are afraid of being called a racist. It's not reasonable to spy on all Americans when the terrorists are young Muslim males. It's not reasonable to grope the elderly and children when passing on the airlines.

I could go on, but I think you get my point.

DeniseDenise
Warned
Archon

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2014, 09:19:18 PM »

People have always been sinful. This includes some small percentage of children who do evil things.

What is different, is that someone in California instantly hears what happens in Wisconsin. Or in Mongolia.

So it seems more because there is no longer 'just a local case'. Everything is a global news story.
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2014, 09:32:59 PM »

I assume the world is no more different in Bible times as compared to today.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 09:33:49 PM by WPM » Logged
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2014, 09:36:03 PM »

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2014, 09:49:33 PM »

Most of the entertainment media is consumed through the Internet and tablet PC.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 09:50:20 PM by WPM » Logged
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2014, 11:21:31 PM »

You are a hopeless lot. You know the names of all the charioteers but not even the names of the evangelists. (St John Chrysostom)

God I love him...

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2014, 11:28:01 PM »

Proverbs 22:6
Train up a child in the way he should go,
And when he is old he will not depart from it.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2014, 12:26:50 AM »

Now if only it were true.

Maximum Bob
Archon

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2014, 01:15:26 AM »

According to the below story in the Daily Mail UK, perhaps the parents were raising her in the way she went.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2647489/Father-girl-12-stabbed-school-friend-19-times-prove-Slender-Man-myth-real-proudly-shared-sketch-horror-creature-DEADBOY-Instagram-filled-skulls.html

Yes, I know, a lot of people are into things like this and never kill someone, but a lot of mentally ill people would never do something like this either. As someone I knew along time ago said about an Iron Maiden concert no good is going to come from a whole arena of kids chanting "666".

I'm sure there is more to it but I do think this is a start, and yes I'm a bit shaken by the whole thing it happened about as close to my home as I drive to get to Church and my oldest daughter in the same age and  in the same grade.

I don't know I'm just trying to make sense of why someone my daughters age would do something like this.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 01:38:32 AM by Maximum Bob » Logged

AS MANY OF YOU AS HAVE BEEN BAPTIZED INTO CHRIST HAVE PUT ON CHRIST, ALLELEUIA
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2014, 03:23:35 AM »

maybe it would work if they were home schooled and worked the same job you did!

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
therovingmethodist

Faith: Catecuhmen
Jurisdiction: OCA

A very bad Christian

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2014, 05:02:14 AM »

I do.

"One Bishop to rule them all, One Bishop to find them, One Bishop to bring them all and in the darkness bind them"
-Kostac
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2014, 05:07:14 AM »

I don't.

Well every saint I've read bemoans the decline of virtue, so it sounds like they believed it, at any rate.

See DeniseDenise's post #17. Bad things have always been with us, the difference nowadays is the news service is getting better.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 05:07:31 AM by LBK » Logged
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2014, 05:24:00 AM »

While I can't speak for the US, over here at least, youth related crime is dropping big time. They also drink and smoke less.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: +

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2014, 10:08:50 AM »

I do. I mean, children are a product of their times. Kids weaned on stuff like Lady Gaga wearing a nun outfit and being gangraped by androgynous faceless things, Grand Theft Auto, and also being bombarded with ever more gruesome and absurd news stories... this stuff seeps into the collective psyche. And kids are an impressionable lot.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 10:11:52 AM by stavros_388 » Logged

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
Jonathan Gress
Warned
Archon

« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2014, 10:20:52 AM »

While I can't speak for the US, over here at least, youth related crime is dropping big time. They also drink and smoke less.

If fornication, sodomy, adultery, abortion and divorce were illegal, I bet those dropping crime rates would change.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 10:21:25 AM by Jonathan Gress » Logged
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2014, 10:28:58 AM »

I don't.

See DeniseDenise's post #17. Bad things have always been with us, the difference nowadays is the news service is getting better.

+1

The pearl clutchers have obviously never read the small independent newspapers of "the good old days."  And those only scratched the surface.  Nowadays, everyone is a reporter and everyone reports with a vid from their smartphone and a 4G internet connection.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Jonathan Gress
Warned
Archon

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2014, 10:37:55 AM »

I don't.

+1

The pearl clutchers have obviously never read the small independent newspapers of "the good old days."  And those only scratched the surface.  Nowadays, everyone is a reporter and everyone reports with a vid from their smartphone and a 4G internet connection.

Well, some of these changes can be quantified. E.g. we still have more violent crime than we did in the 1950s, although it has been declining since the 1990s. On the other side, violent crime was at an all time low in the 1950s, and some have argued that the long-term trend has been a clear decline in violence, e.g. Steven Pinker's recent book "Better Angels of our Nature". He argues that this is due to Enlightenment values, though one criticism is that, being a Jewish atheist, he glosses over evidence of a decline in violence following the spread of Christianity in Europe (not sure about the evidence in other parts of the world). Nicholas Wade in his book "A Troublesome Inheritance" argues that Christianity actually set up Darwinian selective pressures against violent behavior (safe to say jury's still out on that theory).

It is undeniable that as a society we are much more tolerant of some kinds of immorality nowadays, e.g. sexual incontinence, sexual deviance, abortion. One can argue that through policies of wealth redistribution we have institutionalized theft. Our financial system is entirely dependent on usury. I could go on...
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2014, 01:01:49 PM »

Kids these days are just early versions of people these days. What's wrong is we lack a robust Church to guide us (as a people).

^THIS!!!!

People who have no fear of God....have no fear of man.  They do what they will.

They do not learn compassion, to love each other, to serve each other, to forgive each other.

Yes, I agree it is the violent games (they admitted to doing this in order to please "Slenderman"....however, had they been taught the love of God, they would not so easily have been influenced by a game.

In this case, it might be the child is a sociopath, however, in general society is becoming "me" focused, versus "them"....and that is the start of the end.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
kelly
UNSUBSCRIBED from the world
OC.net guru

laughter is the best medicine

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2014, 01:04:46 PM »

In before somebody blames it all on GMOs!

kelly and I spend all our free time collecting pictures of Russian monarchs.  Its a thing we do.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2014, 01:14:18 PM »

Bad parenting?

I got nothing to do but make you look stupid as parents, you ******* do-gooders, too bad you couldn't do good at marriage!

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2014, 01:17:47 PM »

Scientific studies show that if parents are serious about their faith (particularly the father), more often then not, their children will be.

Look again, I already mentioned Monsanto. But processed foods in general should be a crime to feed to children, or advertise.

Bad parenting?

I got nothing to do but make you look stupid as parents, you ******* do-gooders, too bad you couldn't do good at marriage!

Yes. Parents cannot imagine their children being wrong, it's always other children. That's one factor. If you cannot acknowledge the problem, you cannot cure it.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 01:18:02 PM by xOrthodox4Christx » Logged

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2014, 01:20:39 PM »

^This, too!  Wink

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2014, 01:25:13 PM »

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2014, 02:02:56 PM »

I do. I mean, children are a product of their times. Kids weaned on stuff like Lady Gaga wearing a nun outfit and being gangraped by androgynous faceless things, Grand Theft Auto, and also being bombarded with ever more gruesome and absurd news stories... this stuff seeps into the collective psyche. And kids are an impressionable lot.

Amen. Can't dance with the devil and not pay the piper.

Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2014, 02:03:51 PM »

Wisconsin based friend says that the particular town always had a reputation for crazy, though not necessarily that sort of crazy... so it miiiiiiight be something in the water school lunches. Roll Eyes

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Maximum Bob
Archon

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2014, 12:04:32 AM »

I could say something about the school lunches, but it's the wrong forum for that.   Roll Eyes

I don't think this incident is representative of an overall decline in youth too much out of the norm.  For that we would need to look at more common incidents, rise in drug use, gang violence, murder related to domestic violence, etc. I'm reminded of something that was said when I used to work in a maximum security prison. In moderate security you have more incidents, but of less severity. In maximum you have less incidents but when something goes wrong it goes really wrong.

This doesn't happen much but when it does it's really bad. That's why I think when considering causes we need to look outside the norm. For this there has to be a special causative factor, or more likely more than one special causative factor.

AS MANY OF YOU AS HAVE BEEN BAPTIZED INTO CHRIST HAVE PUT ON CHRIST, ALLELEUIA
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2014, 12:39:07 AM »

I am very pro GMOs, but I am very much against this comment. I hope you stop. The same goes for people dropping the term Monsanto out of context.

I hope you get my drift.
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2014, 08:47:06 AM »

I am very pro GMOs, but I am very much against this comment. I hope you stop. The same goes for people dropping the term Monsanto out of context.

I hope you get my drift.

Why?  Do you own Monsanto stock?

—St. Isaac of Syria
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2014, 10:09:27 AM »

I hope you get my drift.

Why?  Do you own Monsanto stock?

No Liza. I do not own stock. I have always been anti-DDT. Maybe it is because when I visited Disneyland at a young age during a GOYA-sponsored trip, I really liked Monsanto's Home of the Future:

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2014, 10:13:21 AM »

Denise's comment on the faster rate of information travel is spot on, though I still think kids today are mostly crap.  You ever see that Yo Gabba Gabba and Dora the Exploradora crap?  Back in my day we watched Thomas the Tank Engine and Beavis and Butthead.  Quality, educational entertainment, that was.
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2014, 10:17:51 AM »

From my perspective, it has to do with lack of proper education and environment which in turn has to do with the loss of traditional values in favor of excessive materialism and excessive sensuality (which lead to loss of emotional sensitivity and even pure violence).
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 10:18:56 AM by IoanC » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2014, 10:26:13 AM »

Denise's comment on the faster rate of information travel is spot on, though I still think kids today are mostly crap.  You ever see that Yo Gabba Gabba and Dora the Exploradora crap?  Back in my day we watched Thomas the Tank Engine and Beavis and Butthead.  Quality, educational entertainment, that was.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2014, 10:31:13 AM »

Thomas the Tank Engine? Oh please!
We had a giant genderless chicken and a Teddy Bear wearing a ballerina skirt. 

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: +

« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2014, 11:23:44 AM »

Denise's comment on the faster rate of information travel is spot on, though I still think kids today are mostly crap.  You ever see that Yo Gabba Gabba and Dora the Exploradora crap?  Back in my day we watched Thomas the Tank Engine and Beavis and Butthead.  Quality, educational entertainment, that was.

Thomas the Tank Engine? Oh please!
We had a giant genderless chicken...

Haha! You must be referring to this genderless chicken:

« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 11:24:12 AM by stavros_388 » Logged

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
Agabus
Archon

« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2014, 12:30:03 PM »

This is the second thread in the last few days in which the quality of children is measured by the television they are offered.

These are truly the last days.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

Agabus
Archon

« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2014, 12:31:39 PM »

...so it miiiiiiight be something in the water school lunches. Roll Eyes
'Dey're putting fluoride in sammiches now?!

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: