OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 24, 2014, 02:54:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OO/EO Councils and Saints! And Other Stuff! Not Christology! Texts?  (Read 633 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« on: June 02, 2014, 08:20:53 PM »

Not looking to argue or debate, I'm just curious regarding any available informational sources, preferably in, but not limited to, English. Other than short summary blurbs/paragraphs, are there any published materials discussing the different methods, approaches, evidences, non-starters, deal-breakers, theories, avenues to explore, etc. regarding acceptance of councils (especially ecumenical ones), and/or what to do about saints the other side are wary of or have condemned? Or other like stuff. Essentially I'm looking for some kind of texts on OO/EO theological discussions and dialogue from the last 50 or so years, but focused on the issues not directly related to Christological language and Church/Imperial politics of the earlier times.
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 08:44:12 PM »

Are you only wanting OO-perspective sources?

If not, this joint statement may be shorter than you're wanting, but it calls for lifting all anathemas against each other's saints/fathers by virtue of their actual Orthodoxy.

But otherwise, I'm interested as well.
CopticDeacon
Αναγνώστης(Reader) in the God-loving Diocese of New York and New England
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

St. Macarius, the Spirit Bearer, Pray for Us!

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 09:18:18 PM »

If not, this joint statement may be shorter than you're wanting, but it calls for lifting all anathemas against each other's saints/fathers by virtue of their actual Orthodoxy.

If the above joint statement is in effect you guys are cool with Dioscorus and Severus. Right?

"I see the heavens opened up, and the Son of Man seated at the right hand of God"
-St. Stephen the Archdeacon and Protomartyr
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 09:58:53 PM »

If the above joint statement is in effect you guys are cool with Dioscorus and Severus. Right?

It was just a proposal for the next steps to be taken, so it's not in effect just yet.

That said, His Holiness John X has called on the Ecumenical Partriarch to take action from the Chambesy and Geneva agreements (that proposal being one). In other words he's definitely in favor of immediately lifting the anathemas, and I'd say that means he's at least fairly cool with St. Severus and St. Dioscorus. And fwiw, I certainly am. Wink
Sam G
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: ROCOR (Old Rite)

All ye Saints, pray to God for me a sinner.

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 10:13:00 PM »

This (http://www.scribd.com/doc/61746234/The-Reception-of-the-Ecumenical-Councils-in-the-Early-Church) is a detailed article on the reception of ecumenical councils by Metropolitan Hilarion (Alfeyev) with regards to EO/OO relations.

All of my hope, I place in thee, O Mother of God; do preserve me under they shelter.
dhinuus
Elder

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 10:33:08 PM »

Not looking to argue or debate, I'm just curious regarding any available informational sources, preferably in, but not limited to, English. Other than short summary blurbs/paragraphs, are there any published materials discussing the different methods, approaches, evidences, non-starters, deal-breakers, theories, avenues to explore, etc. regarding acceptance of councils (especially ecumenical ones), and/or what to do about saints the other side are wary of or have condemned? Or other like stuff. Essentially I'm looking for some kind of texts on OO/EO theological discussions and dialogue from the last 50 or so years, but focused on the issues not directly related to Christological language and Church/Imperial politics of the earlier times.

Have you read, The Council of Chalcedon Re-Examined by Fr. V C Samuel ?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 10:33:18 PM by dhinuus » Logged

NULL
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 11:51:13 PM »

Thanks for the links/references Smiley I don't recall reading the text by Met. Hilarion (I guess I'll find out tomorrow when I go over it); and I'm sure I haven't read the text by Fr. VC Samuel, though I've certainly seen it mentioned before. There is, of course, this thread, but that's a lot of resources, and I don't know the exact contents of many things mentioned. I had ordered the work by Fr. John McGuckin on St. Cyril and the Christological Controversy a couple days ago, which I will still reread... but after I ordered it I thought I might do things in reverse this time around, and try to read the literature on modern happenings first, and then go back and review the early stuff later. I was hoping to get into some of the non-Christological issues first though. Anyway, thanks again, and by all means post more if anyone has something to share...
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 02:03:39 PM »

This (http://www.scribd.com/doc/61746234/The-Reception-of-the-Ecumenical-Councils-in-the-Early-Church) is a detailed article on the reception of ecumenical councils by Metropolitan Hilarion (Alfeyev) with regards to EO/OO relations.

I found this most interesting.  Smiley
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: