Author Topic: Wasting Food - a sin?  (Read 3301 times)

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
  • A pulling horse cannot kick.
Wasting Food - a sin?
« on: June 01, 2014, 11:09:35 PM »
Does anybody have any sources on the topic of wasting food?

I personally have a tremendous problem with any type of food product going to waste.  I find it sinful to even waste a bit of it at all.  I'm not just talking about the obvious waste, I'm going up to table scraps etc.

So far my chickens and turkeys make things real easy since they get all the table scraps.  Any gross/moldy stuff goes to my children's worm farm/compost.

But today I was outside of my home and faced with discarding some food items.  I met up with somebody at an all you can eat buffet type of place and they had an uneaten roll, a pile of green beans, and half of a burger left on their plate.  This style of buffet you basically pick up you plate at the end and put the tray over the trash can (like in a fast food sort of).

Well my buddy basically had to get to an appointment, we shook hands and he was out of there.  So I had his plate to take care of.  Well needless to say in this all you can eat place, you are not allowed to use take-home boxes.   I couldn't stuff in one more bite so I had to discard it (plus I didn't want his cooties from a half eaten burger - LOL).

I know it's small stuff, but it does seriously bother me.... I have guilt based off knowing there are children my children's ages in places like India digging through trash heaps to get nibbles off of discarded food.  Here I am throwing it away - knowing full well it will most likely rot.

At home at least table scraps go towards livestock where they'll produce more food.    Or for those without livestock, at least your dog loves you.  :)

I'm seeking out if it's more of a personal conviction that I have or if there are any writings or works on the subject I am unaware of.
I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com

Offline ZealousZeal

• Cosmic Knowledge Fish
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
Re: Wasting Food - a sin?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 11:46:48 PM »
Subscribing because I'm interested in this.
You want your belt to buckle, not your chair.

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 12:08:51 AM »

I feel the same way you do....

My mother...an old lady....was reprimanded by the manager of just such a buffet....for putting a slice of bread in her coat pocket.  Seriously!  We didn't want to throw it out...and yet, were too stuffed to eat it.  So, the idea was to take it outside and feed it to the birds.  ....but, no.  I can't believe that in that busy crowded place, on a Sunday afternoon....the guy actually came up to my mom and forced her to empty her pockets.   ....and out came a half piece of toast.

We've never gone back.

Something very wrong about that.  Let us humiliate you, for half a slice of bread....it's not like we were stealing a diamond...nor did we load up a plate we had no intention of eating there, but, wanted to take it home for the "one" price.  It was a leftover piece of bread!  Sheesh!

I do believe it is a sin to waste food. 

I have a real problem with meat....because I feel that some animal gave its life....and we are just tossing it in the trash.  That really gives me heartache.
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline TheMathematician

• Archon
  • Formerly known as Montalo
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 08:40:10 AM »
While I'm looking up a lionk for a documentary that is fascinating and important to this thread, something to think about that I heard from a visiting priest.

Especially at coffee hour meals, or whenever the food is blessed by a priest, it is most defiantly a sin to waste the food, because it has been blessed by the priest and is holy, just like we would never waste antidoron or the like.

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
  • Inserting personal quote here.
    • St. Gregory the Theologian Orthodox Church
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox (former WR)
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Boston
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 09:05:13 AM »
I don't know if its a sin or not. But I hawk on my son about it. Its because I have eaten out of a dumpster, and remember a time when I had no food. I hate wasting food. However, is it a sin? Dunno....

PP
"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 10:19:42 AM »
I don't like wasting food.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 11:16:05 AM »
I think wasting food is wrong, but on the other hand, I don't think you are helping anyone by gorging yourself so you don't leave that last chicken leg on your plate.

We were always taught to take reasonable portions and to clean your plate thoroughly.  My grandmother ,who lived through the Great Depression, lived with us when I was a child and she would go over every plate after dinner.  She would pick any morsel of food off of the plates and then wipe them with a piece of bread to get every last thing off of them because it was "wasteful" to leave food on the plates.  She would also go to the grocery stores and buy all the most ripe, bruised, damaged fruit because she didn't want the stores to throw them away as that would be wasteful.  I guess that is what happens when you go through your childhood starving.
God bless!

Offline elephant

• High Elder
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 11:29:31 AM »
Once I found a large amount of kollyva left sitting out on the counter at Church.  I put it in a paper sack and planned to put it out in the woods for the animals to eat. 
I pulled into a park near my house, and started getting out of my car with the 5lbs of boiled wheat.  Just then a police car pulled in and the officer asked what I was doing.  I immediately decided that discretion does not equal lying: "Just stopping in the park, I live around the corner."  Apparently, I'm not allowed to go in the park after sunset.  Not to visit, not to dump boiled wheat, nothing! 

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 11:30:26 AM »
Once I found a large amount of kollyva left sitting out on the counter at Church.  I put it in a paper sack and planned to put it out in the woods for the animals to eat. 
I pulled into a park near my house, and started getting out of my car with the 5lbs of boiled wheat.  Just then a police car pulled in and the officer asked what I was doing.  I immediately decided that discretion does not equal lying: "Just stopping in the park, I live around the corner."  Apparently, I'm not allowed to go in the park after sunset.  Not to visit, not to dump boiled wheat, nothing! 

Hahaha, did he even ask, "What's in the bag?"   :P
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline elephant

• High Elder
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 11:34:30 AM »

Fortunately he didn't ask.  I think he was scoping for teenagers with beer, and I'm the wrong demographic! 

Offline ZealousZeal

• Cosmic Knowledge Fish
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 11:37:09 AM »

Fortunately he didn't ask.  I think he was scoping for teenagers with beer, and I'm the wrong demographic! 

Well, an elephant balancing on two legs with a paper bag is pretty suspicious...
You want your belt to buckle, not your chair.

Offline elephant

• High Elder
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 11:38:11 AM »
Once I found a large amount of kollyva left sitting out on the counter at Church.  I put it in a paper sack and planned to put it out in the woods for the animals to eat.  
I pulled into a park near my house, and started getting out of my car with the 5lbs of boiled wheat.  Just then a police car pulled in and the officer asked what I was doing.  I immediately decided that discretion does not equal lying: "Just stopping in the park, I live around the corner."  Apparently, I'm not allowed to go in the park after sunset.  Not to visit, not to dump boiled wheat, nothing!  

I had it hidden in the trunk!

Hahaha, did he even ask, "What's in the bag?"   :P

Fortunately he didn't ask.  I think he was scoping for teenagers with beer, and I'm the wrong demographic!  

Well, an elephant balancing on two legs with a paper bag is pretty suspicious...

I hid it in the trunk!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 11:38:41 AM by elephant »

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 11:43:56 AM »
God bless!

Offline JamesRottnek

• Taxiarches
  • I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2014, 12:10:18 PM »

I personally have a tremendous problem with any type of food product going to waste.  I find it sinful to even waste a bit of it at all.  I'm not just talking about the obvious waste, I'm going up to table scraps etc.

So far my chickens and turkeys make things real easy since they get all the table scraps.  Any gross/moldy stuff goes to my children's worm farm/compost.

But today I was outside of my home and faced with discarding some food items.  I met up with somebody at an all you can eat buffet type of place and they had an uneaten roll, a pile of green beans, and half of a burger left on their plate.  This style of buffet you basically pick up you plate at the end and put the tray over the trash can (like in a fast food sort of).

Well my buddy basically had to get to an appointment, we shook hands and he was out of there.  So I had his plate to take care of.  Well needless to say in this all you can eat place, you are not allowed to use take-home boxes.   I couldn't stuff in one more bite so I had to discard it (plus I didn't want his cooties from a half eaten burger - LOL).

I know it's small stuff, but it does seriously bother me.... I have guilt based off knowing there are children my children's ages in places like India digging through trash heaps to get nibbles off of discarded food.  Here I am throwing it away - knowing full well it will most likely rot.

At home at least table scraps go towards livestock where they'll produce more food.    Or for those without livestock, at least your dog loves you.  :)

I'm seeking out if it's more of a personal conviction that I have or if there are any writings or works on the subject I am unaware of.

Is that prepared food really going to be of any use, if you don't throw it away?  Had it not been put on your friend's plate to begin with, would the restaurant have made sure those in need received it?  My guess is no.  My guess is they throw it away at the end of the day.  I mean, you should hardly feel bad for throwing it away just because Indian children are starving; there is no situation in which that food could have been given to starving Indian children.

I've never really understood people's problem with "wasting" food on the grounds that people in other places are starving right now.  If you aren't hungry, it's best for your health that you not eat.  And if you aren't going to take it out to the streets and find someone in need of food, is it really any less of a waste for you to eat it, after you've already satiated your hungry, than it would be for you to throw it away?
"Homosexuality has been a popular topic, but not Satanic trances."

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011

Offline Adela

• OC.net guru
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2014, 12:43:14 PM »
I'm new to gardening, but it has given me a whole new appreciation for not wasting food.  It's quite an effort keeping the insects from eating the vegetables, and knowing when to harvest, and so on.

Most people are against wasting food, it just seems inherently wrong.   I'm not a fan of the restaurants that give you portions that could feed a whole family.  Group lunches at work at the Cheesecake Factory were unbelievable, a bowl of soup was more like a tureen of soup.  Since the economy has tanked, it does seem portion size has decreased so the restaurant can charge the same price.   Those huge portions just lead to food being discarded.

It seems if you know how to cook, you waste less food.  Old vegetables can go into a soup or stew, etc.  When I worked as a waitress, if rolls were left in the basket taken to the table, they were used to make bread crumbs that went into other things.  There are cakes you can make out of bread crumbs (and beaten egg whites....), etc.   I think if kids are taught to cook, they will be much happier in life, and will be more careful with food.   You learn to appreciate the ingredients you use, the joy of creating a delicious meal for some one, and you are not at the mercy of the industrial food corporations.  And, it definitely makes your husband happy when he comes home to a home cooked meal, I don't care how sexist that sounds, it's just true.

Offline Adela

• OC.net guru
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2014, 12:52:54 PM »
Oh, and about the 1/2 a hamburger being discarded, I have a big problem with wasting meat.  I would have sneaked it into a napkin to take home for my dog.  The animals suffer in those industrial food lots, so it seems just cruel to discard the meat. 

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2014, 09:45:53 PM »
I think wasting food is wrong, but on the other hand, I don't think you are helping anyone by gorging yourself so you don't leave that last chicken leg on your plate.

We were always taught to take reasonable portions and to clean your plate thoroughly.  My grandmother ,who lived through the Great Depression, lived with us when I was a child and she would go over every plate after dinner.  She would pick any morsel of food off of the plates and then wipe them with a piece of bread to get every last thing off of them because it was "wasteful" to leave food on the plates.  She would also go to the grocery stores and buy all the most ripe, bruised, damaged fruit because she didn't want the stores to throw them away as that would be wasteful.  I guess that is what happens when you go through your childhood starving.

This is a testimony of wisdom.   She knew the pangs of hunger and how precious food is.   Pure wisdom.

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2014, 09:49:34 PM »

Is that prepared food really going to be of any use, if you don't throw it away?  Had it not been put on your friend's plate to begin with, would the restaurant have made sure those in need received it?  My guess is no.  My guess is they throw it away at the end of the day.  I mean, you should hardly feel bad for throwing it away just because Indian children are starving; there is no situation in which that food could have been given to starving Indian children.

I've never really understood people's problem with "wasting" food on the grounds that people in other places are starving right now.  If you aren't hungry, it's best for your health that you not eat.  And if you aren't going to take it out to the streets and find someone in need of food, is it really any less of a waste for you to eat it, after you've already satiated your hungry, than it would be for you to throw it away?

It's more of a concept that you know there are starving "innocent" children who need the food, and here I am wasting it.

Though many scraps do end up in the mouths of my livestock, at least it is being used in the benefit of one of God's creations that provides back for me (eggs, milk, etc.)

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2014, 09:54:18 PM »
I'm new to gardening, but it has given me a whole new appreciation for not wasting food.  It's quite an effort keeping the insects from eating the vegetables, and knowing when to harvest, and so on.

Most people are against wasting food, it just seems inherently wrong.   I'm not a fan of the restaurants that give you portions that could feed a whole family.  Group lunches at work at the Cheesecake Factory were unbelievable, a bowl of soup was more like a tureen of soup.  Since the economy has tanked, it does seem portion size has decreased so the restaurant can charge the same price.   Those huge portions just lead to food being discarded.

It seems if you know how to cook, you waste less food.  Old vegetables can go into a soup or stew, etc.  When I worked as a waitress, if rolls were left in the basket taken to the table, they were used to make bread crumbs that went into other things.  There are cakes you can make out of bread crumbs (and beaten egg whites....), etc.   I think if kids are taught to cook, they will be much happier in life, and will be more careful with food.   You learn to appreciate the ingredients you use, the joy of creating a delicious meal for some one, and you are not at the mercy of the industrial food corporations.  And, it definitely makes your husband happy when he comes home to a home cooked meal, I don't care how sexist that sounds, it's just true.

It's not sexist.  The bible calls for women to be keepers at home.  It's nice to get a home cooked meal after a hard day.

You are right it is a great thing to know how to cook and use certain ingredients and leftovers for other foods.  Fresh bread goes stale very quickly.... It can be turned into bread crumbs, crutons, bread pudding, etc.

All "green leaf tops" on our strawberries, lettuce "stumps", etc., go to the animals.

Oh and apple cores, if you put them in distilled water and cover them up in the pantry with a cloth (and rubber band to allow it to breathe), will turn into apple cider vinegar (and often 10x stronger than the supermarket types).
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 09:54:52 PM by yeshuaisiam »

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2014, 09:57:44 PM »
Oh, and about the 1/2 a hamburger being discarded, I have a big problem with wasting meat.  I would have sneaked it into a napkin to take home for my dog.  The animals suffer in those industrial food lots, so it seems just cruel to discard the meat. 
I agree completely.  It really bummed me out and I honestly felt guilty about it for some time.  It was perfectly good and rather thick meat for a buffet burger.

I know why the buffet places have those rules however... The situation was just bad.

Is it "stealing" to sneak out buffet food?

Offline TheMathematician

• Archon
  • Formerly known as Montalo
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2014, 10:50:31 PM »

Here is a link to the film on IMDB, but I can't find it on YouTube or netflix, but I'm sure there are other legal and no so legal ways to view it.

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0247380/?ref_=m_nmfmd_cin_1

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2014, 11:49:30 PM »

My mother...an old lady....was reprimanded by the manager of just such a buffet....for putting a slice of bread in her coat pocket.  Seriously!  We didn't want to throw it out...and yet, were too stuffed to eat it.  So, the idea was to take it outside and feed it to the birds.  ....but, no.  I can't believe that in that busy crowded place, on a Sunday afternoon....the guy actually came up to my mom and forced her to empty her pockets.   ....and out came a half piece of toast.

We've never gone back.

Something very wrong about that.  Let us humiliate you, for half a slice of bread....it's not like we were stealing a diamond...nor did we load up a plate we had no intention of eating there, but, wanted to take it home for the "one" price.  It was a leftover piece of bread!  Sheesh!

I have a real problem with meat....because I feel that some animal gave its life....and we are just tossing it in the trash.  That really gives me heartache.

My priest called those places "Gluttony Palace" and said that it was a sin to eat there because

(a) you stuffed yourself (gluttony);

(b) you wasted food that you could not eat;

(c) both of the above;

or very rarely, in spite of the temptations,

(d) you put on your plate exactly what you could eat without being a glutton.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 11:51:26 PM by Maria »
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2014, 12:29:04 AM »

My mother...an old lady....was reprimanded by the manager of just such a buffet....for putting a slice of bread in her coat pocket.  Seriously!  We didn't want to throw it out...and yet, were too stuffed to eat it.  So, the idea was to take it outside and feed it to the birds.  ....but, no.  I can't believe that in that busy crowded place, on a Sunday afternoon....the guy actually came up to my mom and forced her to empty her pockets.   ....and out came a half piece of toast.

We've never gone back.

Something very wrong about that.  Let us humiliate you, for half a slice of bread....it's not like we were stealing a diamond...nor did we load up a plate we had no intention of eating there, but, wanted to take it home for the "one" price.  It was a leftover piece of bread!  Sheesh!

I have a real problem with meat....because I feel that some animal gave its life....and we are just tossing it in the trash.  That really gives me heartache.

My priest called those places "Gluttony Palace" and said that it was a sin to eat there because

(a) you stuffed yourself (gluttony);

(b) you wasted food that you could not eat;

(c) both of the above;

or very rarely, in spite of the temptations,

(d) you put on your plate exactly what you could eat without being a glutton.

Based on my observations your priest is wrong to generalize that far.

Perhaps it is specific to my area, there are a lot of migrants with families. They live in shared rooms or garages or outdoors, have little money, no stove nor oven, etc. It is a feast or famine life and eating a lot is out of necessity and not gluttony. The buffet over here is packed on Thursdays when children can eat free.

I eat out only a few times a year because it is cheaper to eat at home and I like to cook, but I have gone to this buffet and it might appear that I am a glutton, but I only eat one meal a day.
"Mi tío es enfermo, pero la carretera es verde!" - old Chilean saying