OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 08:50:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dislocated Soul  (Read 862 times) Average Rating: 0
militantsparrow
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

militantsparrow
« on: June 01, 2014, 12:03:08 PM »

My spiritual life has been such a mess for so long now. There was a time when I was a very happy and devout Catholic. But things started to feel uneasy when I woke up one day with Orthodoxy on my heart. I've been Orthodox for a few years now, but that uneasyness hasn't left.

It's constant doubt. It's regret. It's feeling out of place. Feeling like I don't belong. It's a lack of hope and joy. God has been so good to me. Why can't/don't I feel at home in his church?

Please pray for me.

"Yeah, the sparrow hath found an house..." -Psalm 84:3
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 12:08:29 PM »

Lord have mercy.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Joha

Faith: Orthodox Christian.

Κύριε, σῶσόν με! Κύριε, ἐλέησον!

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 12:22:22 PM »

Lord have mercy

Philippians 1:6 "Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ"
Psalm 57:2 "I will cry out to God Most High, To God who performs all things for me."
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 01:25:27 PM »

Lord have mercy.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 05:32:09 PM »

Lord, have mercy on militantsparrow.

AS MANY OF YOU AS HAVE BEEN BAPTIZED INTO CHRIST HAVE PUT ON CHRIST, ALLELEUIA
marigold
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 06:11:27 PM »

Lord, have mercy on militant sparrow.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 10:17:34 PM »

Lord have mercy.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 11:19:09 AM »

Lord, have mercy.

Sam G
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: ROCOR (Old Rite)

All ye Saints, pray to God for me a sinner.

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 11:31:26 AM »

Lord, have mercy.

Most holy lady Mother of God, pray to God for militantsparrow.

All of my hope, I place in thee, O Mother of God; do preserve me under they shelter.
elephant
High Elder

Jurisdiction: GOAA

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 12:03:46 PM »

Lord Have Mercy Lord Have Mercy Lord Have Mercy
Most Holy Theotokos Save Us
militantsparrow
High Elder

militantsparrow
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 09:48:27 PM »

Thank you.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 09:52:24 PM »

Lord have mercy!

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
wainscottbl
By the grace of God, King of the South, Grand Duke of Louisville, Bardstown, Lexington and all the Kentuckys, Prince of Alaska, East Ukraine, Crimea and Wallachia
Moderated
OC.net guru

Faith: One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Somewhere between Rome and Constantinople (Roman Catholic investigating Eastern Orthodoxy)

Ice cream for sale! 14 and under only, please!

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2014, 10:18:55 PM »

Lord have mercy and maybe take the questions you answered yourself to one for the forums to be discussed.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2014, 03:17:42 AM »

Lord, have mercy upon militantsparrow.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2014, 04:01:17 AM »

"Lord have mercy" +++

Selam

"Beauty is truth, and Orthodoxy is beautiful." +GMK+
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2014, 11:51:58 AM »

Beloved of God militantsparrow:

You are not alone. I am with you. Many others are with you. Even the Psalmist proclaims: I am a stranger in the earth: hide not thy commandments from me. My soul breaketh for the longing that it hath unto thy judgments at all times.

We intuitively grasp at the truth and beauty of God, but we are never comfortable with it. We look to our future hope, but is as through a mirror darkly. We stand in the Church, the embassy of the Kingdom of Heaven which surrounds us and yet seems obscured, and we approach the chalice as the woman with the issue of blood, hoping that by reaching out and touching the hem of His garment we will be healed.

But we approach, again and again. That is the essence of faith, getting up every time we fall and reaching for that garment once again, hoping — and beyond that, believing — that even though we know we do not belong there, God in his mercy will push us through the Gates of Heaven.

And Christ does not merely content himself with letting us be healed with a brush of his cloak. He turns and tells us to go in peace. It is through his strength  that we are able to get up and walk again, and it is his strength that will carry us home when our own strength is too small.

I have been thinking a lot about my own conversion, the struggles I went through and the flawed reasons I sought out the Orthodox Church. None of those matter now, at least not to the degree of importance to which I attached them. What matters to me is — to paraphrase +Kallistos Ware’s infamous paraphrase — I cannot tell you where I won’t find Christ, but I know where I will. I meet him in the Church, and through communion I can become his tabernacle. It is in the Church we can meet Christ. We cannot brush his garment, but we can receive him in faith through his true body and true blood.

This doesn’t mean things will be easy. Things may never be easy — the Scriptures tell us even those who knew Christ struggled to believe in his Resurrection and his promises. How much moreso must it be for us?

I don’t know if I will ever be truly comfortable in his Church, or if comfort is even possible — who, when met with fire, stands still? Joy, I think, will come for me — and for you — as we are purified as gold by the fire, but who knows if this process will ever be easier?

It is not the beauty of the liturgy, or the connection to our ancient forerunners, that keeps me going back to the Church. It is Christ. It is in him I find my comfort in these uncomforting days. May he grant me — and you, and all of us — rest on that great and glorious last day.

I stand with you a stranger in a strange land.

May the Holy Trinity bolster you in your weakness; may the blessed Theotokos protect you by her intercession, and by the prayers of our holy Fathers, may our Lord Jesus Christ have mercy on you —and us — and save us.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 11:52:17 AM by Agabus » Logged

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2014, 04:15:32 PM »

may God guide you and give you peace in your search for a deeper relationship with Him.
militantsparrow
High Elder

militantsparrow
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2014, 08:53:32 PM »

Beloved of God militantsparrow:

You are not alone. I am with you. Many others are with you. Even the Psalmist proclaims: I am a stranger in the earth: hide not thy commandments from me. My soul breaketh for the longing that it hath unto thy judgments at all times.

We intuitively grasp at the truth and beauty of God, but we are never comfortable with it. We look to our future hope, but is as through a mirror darkly. We stand in the Church, the embassy of the Kingdom of Heaven which surrounds us and yet seems obscured, and we approach the chalice as the woman with the issue of blood, hoping that by reaching out and touching the hem of His garment we will be healed.

But we approach, again and again. That is the essence of faith, getting up every time we fall and reaching for that garment once again, hoping — and beyond that, believing — that even though we know we do not belong there, God in his mercy will push us through the Gates of Heaven.

And Christ does not merely content himself with letting us be healed with a brush of his cloak. He turns and tells us to go in peace. It is through his strength  that we are able to get up and walk again, and it is his strength that will carry us home when our own strength is too small.

I have been thinking a lot about my own conversion, the struggles I went through and the flawed reasons I sought out the Orthodox Church. None of those matter now, at least not to the degree of importance to which I attached them. What matters to me is — to paraphrase +Kallistos Ware’s infamous paraphrase — I cannot tell you where I won’t find Christ, but I know where I will. I meet him in the Church, and through communion I can become his tabernacle. It is in the Church we can meet Christ. We cannot brush his garment, but we can receive him in faith through his true body and true blood.

This doesn’t mean things will be easy. Things may never be easy — the Scriptures tell us even those who knew Christ struggled to believe in his Resurrection and his promises. How much moreso must it be for us?

I don’t know if I will ever be truly comfortable in his Church, or if comfort is even possible — who, when met with fire, stands still? Joy, I think, will come for me — and for you — as we are purified as gold by the fire, but who knows if this process will ever be easier?

It is not the beauty of the liturgy, or the connection to our ancient forerunners, that keeps me going back to the Church. It is Christ. It is in him I find my comfort in these uncomforting days. May he grant me — and you, and all of us — rest on that great and glorious last day.

I stand with you a stranger in a strange land.

May the Holy Trinity bolster you in your weakness; may the blessed Theotokos protect you by her intercession, and by the prayers of our holy Fathers, may our Lord Jesus Christ have mercy on you —and us — and save us.

Thank you very much.

Anna.T
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

Lord have mercy! Κύριε, ἐλέησον!

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2014, 11:01:44 PM »

Lord have mercy.

Christ is in our midst!

My replies should not be taken as representing Orthodox teaching - I am only just learning myself.

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2014, 04:53:08 PM »

Any updates?

Lord have mercy.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
militantsparrow
High Elder

militantsparrow
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2014, 09:35:47 PM »

Any updates?

Lord have mercy.

Thank you for asking. I have been feeling better the past few weeks. I'm not entirely sure why. I know it's obviously partly due to grace. What part I've played in it is unknown. I have been trying NOT to figure things out or get depressed over various internal and external flaws. I've been attempting to just live in the moment and be content with what God has given me. I'm placing my hope in the reality that God will lead me as He wishes and I just need to get out of the way.

I'm still lacking any real Joy during Liturgy or even from the Eucharist. I remember as a Catholic being so filled with Joy leading up to Mass and especially upon receiving the Eucharist. I was trying to figure out why that joy is gone, but as I stated above, I've decided to just accept it...for now. Sorry my response is all over the place. It's very difficult to explain these internal battles.

Maximum Bob
Archon

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2014, 09:38:01 PM »

Continued prayers. Lord, have mercy.

AS MANY OF YOU AS HAVE BEEN BAPTIZED INTO CHRIST HAVE PUT ON CHRIST, ALLELEUIA
chrisgeo
Warned

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2014, 01:20:34 AM »

Lord Have Mercy
Sam G
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: ROCOR (Old Rite)

All ye Saints, pray to God for me a sinner.

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2014, 02:03:35 AM »

Lord, have mercy.

All of my hope, I place in thee, O Mother of God; do preserve me under they shelter.
Nathanael

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2014, 05:17:06 AM »

Lord Have Mercy

"Orthodoxy is the very nature of man" - Father Rafail Noica
Anna.T
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

Lord have mercy! Κύριε, ἐλέησον!

« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2014, 09:25:01 PM »

Continued prayers for you.

Christ is in our midst!

My replies should not be taken as representing Orthodox teaching - I am only just learning myself.

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
quietmorning
Archon

St. Photini

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2014, 09:30:34 PM »

Lord have mercy!

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print