OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 06:05:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Romania  (Read 1172 times) Average Rating: 0
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2014, 09:17:09 PM »

For better or worse, that's what happened in 1948, when the Communists abolished the RGCC.  
BTW, when this occurred, there were many adherents of the RGCC who simply attended the Orthodox services, which were held in Churches which were once RGC. Were there any conversion requirements, or did these RGC people simply attend the EO services and receive the EO Sacraments with no questions asked?
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2014, 09:21:51 PM »

as always, the maps don't lie:
Yes, the map shows the one archeparchy and three eparchies that constituted the Romanian Greek Catholic Church of the time.  Had you said Romanian Greek Catholic Metropolia of Fagaras and Alba Iulia I would have agreed.  The Romanian Greek Catholic Church is bigger than one archeparchy since 1777.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2014, 09:27:10 PM »

It was the latter. I met a ninety something year old Romanian man here in Chicago who Said they just switched between the GC and Orthodox Liturgies ( ie the small linguistic quirks that differentiated the two recensions of the same rite) depening on who they knew to be attending. Like spies, police, party officials.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2014, 09:31:28 PM »

Yes, the map shows the one archeparchy and three eparchies that constituted the Romanian Greek Catholic Church of the time.  Had you said Romanian Greek Catholic Metropolia of Fagaras and Alba Iulia I would have agreed.  The Romanian Greek Catholic Church is bigger than one archeparchy since 1777.
It's all the same color for a reason.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2014, 08:38:12 AM »

It's all the same color for a reason.
Yes, they are the Romanian Greek Catholic eparchies.  .

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2014, 08:32:07 PM »

Here's something I read recently:

It is here that the question of the establishment of Catholic diocesan structures in the former communist countries comes in. When Catholic hierarchies were re-established there, the local Russian and Romanian Orthodox churches protested strongly not only that the new structures exceeded the pastoral needs of the local Catholic faithful, but also that they had been presented with a fait accompli, not having been consulted in the decision-making process. Many Orthodox feared that this indicated the beginning of renewed Catholic proselytism in their countries. I believe that the reality was precisely the opposite: the setting in place of Catholic bishops with pastoral authority was intended partially as a way of stemming the enthusiasm of certain Catholic freelance groups who were intent on evangelizing the East, groups who either were not aware of the new attitudes towards the Orthodox or who simply disregarded them. The guidelines of the «Pro Russia» document hint that this is the case. Nevertheless, the time when the Catholic Church can make major decisions concerning its activity in an Orthodox country without input from the local Orthodox Church is over. If these are truly churches in the theological sense of the term, they must at least be consulted before such decisions are taken.

Granted that's two decades old (from Catholic-Orthodox Relations in Post-Communist Europe: Ghosts from the Past and Challenges for the Future) but it seems worthwhile nevertheless.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2014, 11:45:37 AM »

It's not realistic to assume the remnant which stayed Catholic will ever want to be reunited with the Romanian Orthodox Church.

I was thinking about this comment this morning (yes, yes, I realize it was posted over a month ago).

One of the things that seems to me the most important of all is that the Orthodox must at some point be willing to (at the risk of sounding quaint or trite) let it go. I'm not, necessarily, saying that we are at that point already -- heck, for all I know I could live to see a wave of Romanian-Catholic-to-Orthodox conversions, though I'd be surprised. But I think that eventually there must come a point when the Orthodox take-no-for-an-answer, so to speak.

Just my 1.5 cents.  Smiley

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: