OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 31, 2014, 09:41:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ITT, we discuss American muscle cars  (Read 400 times) Average Rating: 0
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« on: June 01, 2014, 01:37:18 AM »

I've been looking at newer Chevy Camaros (2010, 2011) except they're too wide and unable to fit in my garage.  I'm not intending to buy one; however, feel free to discuss your like (or dislike) of American muscle cars like the Camaro, Mustang, Challenger, etc.
Rambam
High Elder

Faith: Check
Jurisdiction: I'm color blind

"If you like your Ebola, you can keep your Ebola."

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 02:59:04 AM »

I'll play.

The Buick Regal Grand National, hands down. The 87 model was the fastest car made on an assembly line that year. And as a bonus, they're re-releasing the Grand National in 2015. My first car ever was a maroon 86 Buick Regal -- 5.0L V-8. I did everything I could to make it look like a GN -- painted it black, mag wheels, etc. Sweet car.

Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 02:17:43 AM »

An interesting, unique topic.

I am thriller by the return of each of the cars you've noted to the current market; the Ford Mustang, Chevy Camaro, and the Dodge Challenger. (If the Camaro is too large for your garage, so are the others.)

I purchased a 2010 Dodge Challenger SE at the end of that model year. But it was in spite of the fact that it is a muscle car. I've always liked 2 door coupe's because I'm single; a 4 door car is for families in my opinion and experience. My 1998 Chrysler Sebring was on it's last leg, but I could not find a 2 door "Personal Luxury" car, the type of car I've always desired. I had rented a Chrysler 200, the successor to the Sebring, but found it's too boxy and its ride was rough. Models are fewer in number these days and I've heard that 2dr. cars are discouraged by insurance companies because they are more prone to damage compared with the 4 door. I even prepared myself to violate my life-long opposition to foreign cars because I felt the Toyota Solara was sharp, but found out the model had been discontinued.

I wasn't even aware that Chrysler was producing the Challenger, but saw one in the parking lot of the restaurant where I eat regularly. At first, I thought it was a reconditioned '70's car, but on closer examination, I could see it must be a new car. I checked out the Dodge website and saw it had been produced for two model years or so. I went to the only Dodge dealer in the county at the time, soon after the Ford and Chrysler bankruptcies, and fell in love with the one I currently own, in black clear coat with dark and light gray interior. I told the salesman who was a little younger than me how much I liked this style of car, but that I wasn't a muscle guy in the '70's, let alone now. He told me he had sold 7 Challengers, all to men over age 50.

Dodge Challenger's classic looks are what I like in a car, and certainly distinguish it from most cars on the road today. The V-6 3.5 liter engine is more than I need and the car was designed while Chrysler was owned by Daimler, so the suspension is akin to a Mercedes-Benz. Its ride is fabulous. I had been given a Charger for a loaner for awhile and there is no comparison. It is larger than any car I've ever owned, and is too large for my taste--I'm still uncomfortable parking it, but that is its only draw back. I would have preferred if they would have produced it in the classic "mid-size" of the '70's.

My Dodge Challenger will be 4 years old in October and I've never been more thrilled with any car I've owned, and I have liked all of the cars I've owned, (a '73 Ford Pinto, '75 Mercury Bobcat, '79 Ford Mustang, '87 Chrysler LeBaron, and a '98 Chrysler Sebring Lxi).
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 02:27:38 AM by Basil 320 » Logged

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 12:15:01 AM »

I used to work at a Ford dealership when the "new" Mustang was released in 2004.  In 2010, I test drove a 2007 Mustang GT - the acceleration was phenomenal except I couldn't afford it.  I haven't measured the width of the garage with the doors open although the widest car to be parked in the garage was 70.3 inches.  Opening the wide doors to get out of the car after parking in the garage could be an issue.   laugh
Justin Kolodziej
Party per fess argent and gules; in chief a Latin cross bottony sable between two lozenges azure; in base a wheel, or.
Elder

Faith: Converting
Jurisdiction: GOC-Kallinikos....one day

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 12:33:19 AM »

OK. Maybe not a "muscle" car per se, but it must have been that someone at Mopar said to Mr. Carroll Shelby "Bet you can't turn THIS into anything remotely fast!" And Mr. Shelby said "CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!"

Behold, The Dodge Omni GLH-S:

The GLH-S means "Goes Like Hell Some More"  Grin
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 12:34:27 AM by Justin Kolodziej » Logged

Where even the last two or three are gathered in His name, He is there in their midst.
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 08:56:00 AM »

Great thread!

Behold, the greatest American muscle car of all time.  The Oldsmobile 4-4-2. The thing was a beast.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Adela
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 10:03:18 AM »

I cried, when I was 6, when my parents sold their 1966 Chevy Impala Supersport.  I still miss that car. 

SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 06:53:31 PM »

I haven't measured the width of the garage with the doors open although the widest car to be parked in the garage was 70.3 inches. 

I should correct myself - the widest car parked in my garage was 72.1" wide (2009 Hyundai Sonata sedan as rental car).
Gkterra
Formerly know as findingfaith

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA

ακραία αμαρτωλός

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 09:09:49 PM »

My first car was a 1966 Buick Skylark, with a 396 turbo jet engine, with a Holley 4 barrel carb, and a 2 speed powerglide transmission.
red with a white vinyl top like the one pictured, albeit not as good looking  Grin
that car was a beast, and the one car I wish I still had. I raced a 1985 5.0 mustang and it was pretty laughable to say the least.

Even satan himself can appear as an Angel of the Lord, and do good works in His name, to distract you from the path of True Righteousness

Ever notice that just like there is no age limit on stupidity, there is no IQ limit either? kind of explains a lot huh?
converted viking

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 03:35:10 PM »

This.   Home built diesel muscle car.   Probably not like by the E.P.A.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVOFWcXffs0

Viking
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 03:37:24 PM by converted viking » Logged
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 08:06:00 AM »

Greatest Muscle Car ever! Not the most gorgeous car for sure, but nothing touched that Hemi engine.

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: