OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 24, 2014, 12:13:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LoL!!! Look who just wrote a new book!  (Read 1933 times) Average Rating: 0
Nacho
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

The face of Corporate America

« on: April 14, 2005, 04:30:01 PM »

Grin

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2005, 04:39:32 PM »

I guess that he wasn't getting enough press or attention now that he's retired.  :-

I just looked it up too.  Not even in hard cover like his earlier books, but at 30 clams, it may not make the best seller lists.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2005, 04:48:14 PM »

I saw that he was on Bill O'Reilly last night as I was flipping around.  I didn't bother to stop and listen, but from the 5 seconds I heard, it sounded like O'Reilly was nailing him for saying something like "Prayer doesn't work".

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Jennifer
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2005, 04:50:54 PM »

O'Reilly wrote a dustjacket blurb for Spong that supposedly says "The Sins of Scripture challenges Christians to look beyond the myths of their faith into the heart of the matter."

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2005, 04:53:48 PM »

I would like to make it clear that John Spong is *not* a sitting diocesan bishop any more but is retired. (so they can't sack him)  Also, the words are his own, not from the Anglican Communion or any of it's Provinces.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2005, 04:58:12 PM »

Funny - and a not unexpected audacious title as well.  Once I saw the thread title I thought it was going to be about Spong.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2005, 04:59:39 PM »

Ebor,

One doesnt have to be a sitting diocesan bishop to anathematize them...hell they did it to Origen three hundred years after his death. And I'm guessing that Spong has made one or two points that are worthy of a full fledged anathema...to me it the fact that the ECUSA hasn't anathematized him speaks volumes.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Rilian

OC.net

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2005, 05:04:14 PM »

What's the correct term for rehash that's been rehashed?
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2005, 05:09:06 PM »

There are plenty of Episopalians in this country who have "anathematized' Spong and have nothing to do with him or his works. And some of the Primates of the other members of the Anglican Communion have broken communion with the American Church. I said they couldn't "sack" him. He doesn't have a job/position in ECUSA. He is retired.

I would like to request that the temptation to schadenfreude be resisted.

Ebor

Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2005, 05:11:56 PM »

I would like to make it clear that John Spong is *not* a sitting diocesan bishop any more but is retired. (so they can't sack him) Also, the words are his own, not from the Anglican Communion or any of it's Provinces.

Ebor

Yeah, we know, and I feel for you, but the Episcopalians need to have some discipline and enforce it at that. Retirement shouldn't be some safety net that prevents him from being "sacked" so to speak.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2005, 05:12:39 PM »

Funny - and a not unexpected audacious title as well. Once I saw the thread title I thought it was going to be about Spong.

It's the same-old, same-old. Spong goes for Epater le bourgeois ("shock the common people" roughly) it brings headlines

(cynical? ME?!?)

Ebor

Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2005, 05:16:30 PM »

There are plenty of Episopalians in this country who have "anathematized' Spong and have nothing to do with him or his works. And some of the Primates of the other members of the Anglican Communion have broken communion with the American Church. I said they couldn't "sack" him. He doesn't have a job/position in ECUSA. He is retired.

I would like to request that the temptation to schadenfreude be resisted.

Ebor

Ebor,
I think what most of us are saying is that an ECUSA Synod should (be able to) officially anathametize him. Otherwise it just looks like a bunch of different Protestant sects that are not connected anathametizing each other which holds no water. Basically, he can still publish, but be anathametized such that he doesn't have the right to say he's a retired Bishop - only a retired "former" Bishop that's been anathametized.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2005, 05:39:32 PM »

The Provinces of the Anglican Communion are not a "bunch of different Protestant sects that are not connected" just to be clear.  They are like the EO churches in that they are the Anglican church in Australia, South India, Japan, Southern Cone (South America), West Indies, Canada, Jerusalem and so forth.  They *are* connected as members of the Anglican Communion with the Archbishop of Canterbury as the "First among equals" as the Primate of the Chuch of England.

"Those churches that are listed by the Secretariat of the Anglican Communion Office as being part of it. All of these churches are in full communion with the See of Canterbury, and recognize the Archbishop of Canterbury as being the focal point of the church."

From http://anglicansonline.org/communion/index.html

ECUSA is one member of the communion and at the moment in disfavour (to say the least) with most of the rest of the Communion. 

Ebor

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

ΠΑΝΑΓΙΑ ΣΟΥΜΕΛΑ

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2005, 05:55:11 PM »

What's the correct term for rehash that's been rehashed?

Hmmm...trash Huh

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Nacho
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2005, 05:59:19 PM »

Well, I just shot off an email to Mr. Spong and informed him I could not buy and read his book because it's not "diverse" enough for me......... Cheesy  :wave2:

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2005, 06:31:40 PM »

The Provinces of the Anglican Communion are not a "bunch of different Protestant sects that are not connected" just to be clear. They are like the EO churches in that they are the Anglican church in Australia, South India, Japan, Southern Cone (South America), West Indies, Canada, Jerusalem and so forth. They *are* connected as members of the Anglican Communion with the Archbishop of Canterbury as the "First among equals" as the Primate of the Chuch of England.

"Those churches that are listed by the Secretariat of the Anglican Communion Office as being part of it. All of these churches are in full communion with the See of Canterbury, and recognize the Archbishop of Canterbury as being the focal point of the church."

From http://anglicansonline.org/communion/index.html

ECUSA is one member of the communion and at the moment in disfavour (to say the least) with most of the rest of the Communion.

Ebor

Sorry, but I meant to say that's how they come across anyway.  Those that are even aware of Spong then should anathametize him.
SetFree
King of Kings

Faith: Oriental Orthodox (Catechumen)
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

Christ, Our God, To Earth Descendeth...

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2005, 10:56:07 PM »

I read Spong's A NEW CHRISTIANITY FOR A NEW WORLD a long time ago and was absolutely horrified at it.  I then read a book by C.S. Lewis called THE GREAT DIVORCE, and I realized that Spong was like the man that had started the theological society in Hell.  With Heaven in his full view, he still clung to his ideas that there was no resurrection, true heaven or hell, etc.  Lewis described Spong perfectly.  He proscribed, unprayerfully, to ideas that were not his own and went with them.  He got fame, a bishopric, notoriety, etc.  So, he continued to go with it.  People love him.  What he doesn't realize is that that is all chaff and all of that is going to disappear in the end and he will have to stand before his Creator and give account of every idle word spoken. 

He, with or without the Anglican Communion's official word, is Anathema.  St. Paul anathematized him when Paul said,"Let anyone who preaches another gospel then the one you have received be anathema."

We talk about this one...but there are other wolves in sheeps clothing too.  Marcus Borg, for one.

At His Feet The Six-Winged Seraph, Cherubim, With Sleepless Eye, Veil Their Faces To His Presence As With Ceasless Voice They Cry:ÂÂ  Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!ÂÂ  Lord Most High! --From the Liturgy of St. James (Translated by Gerard Moultrie)
Nacho
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2005, 02:49:12 PM »

I read Spong's A NEW CHRISTIANITY FOR A NEW WORLD a long time ago and was absolutely horrified at it.  I then read a book by C.S. Lewis called THE GREAT DIVORCE, and I realized that Spong was like the man that had started the theological society in Hell.  With Heaven in his full view, he still clung to his ideas that there was no resurrection, true heaven or hell, etc.  Lewis described Spong perfectly.  He proscribed, unprayerfully, to ideas that were not his own and went with them.  He got fame, a bishopric, notoriety, etc.  So, he continued to go with it.  People love him.  What he doesn't realize is that that is all chaff and all of that is going to disappear in the end and he will have to stand before his Creator and give account of every idle word spoken.

He, with or without the Anglican Communion's official word, is Anathema.  St. Paul anathematized him when Paul said,"Let anyone who preaches another gospel then the one you have received be anathema."

We talk about this one...but there are other wolves in sheeps clothing too.  Marcus Borg, for one.

Mr. Spong is quite scary, maybe he should start a 'truth telling' ministry with the gay Bishop over there in New Hampshire who just decided to be a spokesperson for Planned Parenthood since they know such more than the rest of us. Why do these useful idiots have to target Christianity? Couldn't they have chosen something more down their alley like paganism? Here's a little snippet that made me laugh that I saw in the Washington Times:

"Planned Parenthood should target "people of faith" to promote abortion rights and comprehensive sex education, the Episcopal Church's first openly homosexual bishop told a gathering in the District yesterday.
    "In this last election we see what the ultimate result of divorce from communities of faith will do to us," New Hampshire Bishop V. Gene Robinson said during Planned Parenthood's fifth annual prayer breakfast.
    "Our defense against religious people has to be a religious defense. ... We must use people of faith to counter the faith-based arguments against us," he said.
Bishop Robinson's comments at Planned Parenthood's national leadership conference took aim at traditional interpretations of the Bible.
    "We have allowed the Bible to be taken hostage, and it is being wielded by folks who would use it to hit us over the head. We have to take back those Scriptures," he said. "You know, those stories are our stories. I tell this to lesbian folk all the time: The story of freedom in Exodus is our story. ... That's my story, and they can't have it."

Hmmm, same garbage from the progressive wing of Christianity. LoL that's great, this guy wants to have Planned Parenthood "target" people of faith. I'm sure the Bishop and the other useful sheeple will start a national campaign on why abortion is healthy and virtuous as taking your vitamins and would compare it to just another normal thing like sleeping or exercising. Maybe he can go on a national tour for Planned Parenthood with rations of condoms and candy and they could dub it the "Christians for choice and truth tour against a hateful America" or another similar snappy slogan progressives are so famous for Grin. They of course must be putting in overtime with their lies and hate so they can get one of those valuable seats on the Jesus seminar just to show us how bright they are because we all know that a bunch of agnostic liberal scholars working in theology departments at places like Harvard have figured out that most of the bible is made up and most Christians are just ignorant, stupid and bigoted people. Anyway, I think it's time for some truth telling.  I wish someone in the ECUSA would stand up to these thugs and assault them with a dose of reality someday for heaven's sake. 

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2005, 06:58:12 PM »

Sorry, but I meant to say that's how they come across anyway. Those that are even aware of Spong then should anathametize him.

This is not meant in any way to be disagreeable or disrespectful, Elisha, but to a person who knows little of the EO Jurisdictions and splinter groups, the same could be said of EO.  Examples like the different EO groups in the Ukraine, Moscow having disagreements with Constantinople, the various True/Genuine/other groups might look like a bunch of different sects that are not connected but who are have quarrels with each other.

Ebor 

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: