Author Topic: History of OO churches  (Read 1165 times)

Offline Stavro

• OC.net guru
History of OO churches
« on: June 15, 2005, 04:03:01 PM »
Dear brothers,
I was interested in the past few months in material about the history of the Indian, Syrian, Armenian, Ethiopian OO churches. The sites on the internet offer an overview for newcomers,but they do not make a reference to a book for more information. I would appreciate a recommendation for a detailed history book that covers the whole history or the important historical events in each church's history from its members.

Peace.
In that day there will be an altar to the LORD in the heart of Egypt, and a monument to the LORD at its border. (Isaiah 19:19)

" God forbid I should see the face of Judah or listen to his blasphemy" (Gerontius, Archmanidrite of the monastery of St. Melania)

Offline Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Christ is risen!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
Re: History of OO churches
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2005, 07:17:40 PM »
The Orthodox Church of India, by Daniel David. 
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

Mor no longer posts on OCNet.  He follows threads, posts his responses daily, occasionally starts threads, and responds to private messages when and as he wants.  But he really isn't around anymore.

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
  • New Martyrs of Libya pray for us!
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2005, 12:05:55 AM »
The Church of Armenia by Patriarch Malachia Ormanian is something of a classic.  You can find it through St. Vartan Bookstore:  http://www.stvartanbookstore.com/index.asp

I don't think it is listed on their website, but they have it.  Ask them about it in an e-mail.

The only problem with that book is that it was written prior to the Genocide.  I'm not sure what books there are available in English telling what happened to the Armenian Church during and after the Genocide.  Ask the bookstore about that and I am sure they will let you know.

Offline Stavro

• OC.net guru
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2005, 01:19:31 PM »
Thank you guys for the recommendations. I will definitely look these books up.
In that day there will be an altar to the LORD in the heart of Egypt, and a monument to the LORD at its border. (Isaiah 19:19)

" God forbid I should see the face of Judah or listen to his blasphemy" (Gerontius, Archmanidrite of the monastery of St. Melania)