OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 26, 2014, 09:41:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Faux pas after church: "God bless you"  (Read 1095 times) Average Rating: 0
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
OC.net guru

Faith: Catechumen applicant
Jurisdiction: GOA I hope

(N.B. Ebullient not educated)

« on: May 30, 2014, 02:52:02 PM »

So in my past life I'd come to say "God bless you" as a good-bye or of course as a congratulations or encouragement, and here after liturgy I said it to someone Orthodox mostly by habit. She studiously ignored it and I immediately remembered the term has an official use in Orthodoxy, expecially by the priest, and is not just a wish.

So what would a Greek Orthodox layperson say instead? And, as long as the subject is up, can anyone say definitively who may bless whom and when in Orthodoxy?

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus

A threefold cord is not quickly broken (Ec iv.12).

Τὸν ὑπόλοιπον χρόνον τῆς ζωῆς ἡμῶν, ἐν εἰρήνῃ καὶ μετανοίᾳ ἐκτελέσαι, παρὰ τοῦ Κυρίου αἰτησώμεθα.
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Auntie Oak

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 03:00:48 PM »

I've heard plenty of Orthodox laity say "God bless you," including cradles. One was this older saint-in-the-making Syrian woman that would even do the sign of the cross like a blessing over things (can't remember if she ever did it to people). Anyway, IIRC she would say "God bless you" to pretty much anyone she talked to.

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

Mzack.

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 03:09:11 PM »

'God bless you' is fine. If we can bless God, there's no reason we can't do the same with people.  angel
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 03:09:43 PM »

I believe that the layperson can say "God bless you" to everyone, other than a priest/bishop, through whom God bestows blessings on His faithful.

Therefore, it would be inappropriate to tell a priest "God bless you".

My mom always gives me her blessing.  Every single day of my life.  Smiley  She would stop us at the door before we would go out to school.  Make sure our coats were buttoned, that we had our lunches, and would finally word a prayer over us and make the sign of the cross over each of us...and then push us out the door to run to the bus.  As an adult, she would get up each morning and see me off to work the exact same way.....and now that she is bedridden, I go to her before I leave the house, and she does the same thing from her bed.  Cheesy  I am soooo very blessed.

What do people usually say to each other in parting?  Well, "Go with God", "may God watch over you", or "see you next week!" come to mind.  Wink

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 03:39:56 PM »

ahh, now i see where you get your lovely mumminess from...
 Smiley
 Kiss
(your new and biologically-impossibly-too-old daughter)

as for the original question, i still say God bless you all the time, although i try not to do it too often to priests
 Wink
(previous protestant)
CopticDeacon
ψάλτης (Psaltis) in the God-loving Diocese of NY and New England
Warned
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Abba Pachom, Pray for us!

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 03:46:43 PM »

I say God bless you to just about anyone that sneezes. Not sure what I would say to the patriarch or a bishop though (God has blessed you?) or "your peace" (Salemtek) in arabic.
I have said God bless you to both my priests. But I am rather close to them from service and being "behind the scenes" in the Church etc. Anyone who does service as a layperson or in the Deaconate knows. I think that comes from working with your priests alot.

Our holy father Abba Pachom, was worthy many times, to see the Lord, and His holy angels.
Our holy father Abba Pachom, you have explained the Commandments of God, and you have perfected all virtues, and you have pleased Christ.
-Doxology for Abba Pachom and Theodore his disciple
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 03:51:08 PM »

Glad to learn I was mistaken!

Just would be grand, though, to have a long list of common phrases, in English and Greek (and Ukrainian and Arabic for that matter Wink ).

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus

Τὸν ὑπόλοιπον χρόνον τῆς ζωῆς ἡμῶν, ἐν εἰρήνῃ καὶ μετανοίᾳ ἐκτελέσαι, παρὰ τοῦ Κυρίου αἰτησώμεθα.
Anna.T
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

Lord have mercy! Κύριε, ἐλέησον!

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 03:53:21 PM »

Oh, I'm glad to hear it's ok to say to most people! I was worried for a minute.

When I first met Father, he said as I was leaving "God bless you" and I said "God bless you too" and immediately realized my mistake, but he never let on. He really is a wonderful priest. Smiley

But I'm not sure what I should say ... I've had priests say that to me several times and I feel rude not replying in kind, but I don't know what I AM supposed to say?

(I usually settle for a smile and bow and "thank you Father")

Christ is in our midst!

My replies should not be taken as representing Orthodox teaching - I am only just learning myself.

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Velsigne
Elder

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2014, 10:31:54 AM »

So in my past life I'd come to say "God bless you" as a good-bye or of course as a congratulations or encouragement, and here after liturgy I said it to someone Orthodox mostly by habit. She studiously ignored it and I immediately remembered the term has an official use in Orthodoxy, expecially by the priest, and is not just a wish.

So what would a Greek Orthodox layperson say instead? And, as long as the subject is up, can anyone say definitively who may bless whom and when in Orthodoxy?

Other lay people say 'God bless you' to other lay people.  I wait for a blessing from a priest however.  Other parishioners say 'God bless you' to me fairly regularly.  

The lady with whom you were speaking may not have heard you, or had something else on her mind.  

Oh, I forgot, on her behalf: God bless you and yours Porter!  Smiley
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 10:35:31 AM by Velsigne » Logged
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2014, 11:09:27 AM »

Oh, I'm glad to hear it's ok to say to most people! I was worried for a minute.

When I first met Father, he said as I was leaving "God bless you" and I said "God bless you too" and immediately realized my mistake, but he never let on. He really is a wonderful priest. Smiley

But I'm not sure what I should say ... I've had priests say that to me several times and I feel rude not replying in kind, but I don't know what I AM supposed to say?

(I usually settle for a smile and bow and "thank you Father")

My default answer is always a "thank you", whether it is a layperson or a member of the clergy bestowing the blessing....except my mom, who gets a smile and a kiss. Smiley

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Adela
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2014, 11:19:52 AM »

If someone, although very knowledgeable about Orthodoxy, chooses not to be gracious, perhaps they might need some instruction.  Surely it was obvious you were being genuine and kind-hearted, and not trying to usurp some priest or bishop's role.  I wish more people said "God Bless You" to me!     And, isn't Good-Bye shortened from God Be With Ye?
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2014, 02:19:34 PM »

... And, isn't Good-Bye shortened from God Be With Ye?

Not in Greek. Wink

Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2014, 02:20:42 PM »

Oh, I forgot, on her behalf: God bless you and yours Porter!  Smiley

Oh thank you!!

katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2014, 03:19:04 PM »

I've said "bless you" to priests and a Bishop (when they sneezed!) No big deal. The Bishop said he liked that custom.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2014, 04:07:25 PM »

I think it just might be the person you spoke to. In our Antiochian church, many people say,"inshallah" (God be with you) when saying farewells. Many people also "God willing" in reference to seeing each other again. Most of us are 2nd to 4th generation Americans.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 04:08:30 PM by recent convert » Logged

Antiochian OC N.A.
Thomas
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2014, 11:41:34 AM »

I have heard that we should say "May the Lord Bless You" or "May God grant you many years" is how we should address Bishop or priest, I have never been told we may not offer  the prayer "God bless you" to a lay member or family member.

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2014, 01:33:49 PM »

Why would anyone, even a Bishop, not be thankful that a person was kind enough to wish God's blessing upon then?

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Taxiarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2014, 01:37:05 PM »

I have heard that we should say "May the Lord Bless You" or "May God grant you many years" is how we should address Bishop or priest, I have never been told we may not offer  the prayer "God bless you" to a lay member or family member.

Yes, the use of the 'modal' may makes the exclamation acceptable. It reminds me of the prayers attributed to St. Patrick.

May the Lord bless you with His peace and grace, and may His Face shine upon you.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2014, 01:41:32 PM »

Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me,
Christ in me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
Christ on my right, Christ on my left,
Christ when I lie down, Christ when I sit down,
Christ in the heart of every man who thinks of me,
Christ in the mouth of every man who speaks of me,
Christ in the eye that sees me,
Christ in the ear that hears me.

I arise today
Through a mighty strength, the invocation of the Trinity,
Through a belief in the Threeness,
Through a confession of the Oneness
Of the Creator of creation

St. Patrick (ca. 377)

https://www.ewtn.com/Devotionals/prayers/patrick.htm

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
kelly
God save Ukraine and Russia
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light.

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2014, 01:44:47 PM »

Why would anyone, even a Bishop, not be thankful that a person was kind enough to wish God's blessing upon then?

Because people have bad manners.

Remove the plank of lust from your own eye and you will be able to clearly see the speck of backflesh through the buttonhole of another.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2014, 01:53:34 PM »

may the blessing of light be on you

(Scottish Blessing Prayer)
 http://www.lords-prayer-words.com/famous_prayers/may_the_road_rise_up_to_meet_you.html

May the blessing of light be on you, light without and light within.
May the blessed sunlight shine on you like a great peat fire,
so that stranger and friend may come and warm himself at it.
And may light shine out of the two eyes of you,
like a candle set in the window of a house,
bidding the wanderer come in out of the storm.
And may the blessing of the rain be on you,
may it beat upon your Spirit and wash it fair and clean,
and leave there a shining pool where the blue of Heaven shines,
and sometimes a star. And may the blessing of the earth be on you,
soft under your feet as you pass along the roads,
soft under you as you lie out on it, tired at the end of day;
and may it rest easy over you when, at last, you lie out under it.
May it rest so lightly over you that your soul may be out from under it quickly;
up and off and on its way to God.
And now may the Lord bless you, and bless you kindly.

Amen.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2014, 02:06:46 PM »

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face;
the rains fall soft upon your fields
and until we meet again,
may God hold you in the palm of His hand.

(traditional gaelic blessing)

http://www.lords-prayer-words.com/famous_prayers/may_the_road_rise_up_to_meet_you.html

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2014, 06:42:26 PM »

Strictly speaking, if the priest is present, then he is the one who blesses; if the bishop is present, then he is the one who blesses.

But "God bless you" in English is more of a positive wish than a liturgical blessing.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 06:43:07 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"Simply put, if you’re not willing to take what is dearest to you, whether plans or people, and kiss it goodbye, you can’t be my disciple."
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2014, 06:51:43 PM »

Strictly speaking, if the priest is present, then he is the one who blesses; if the bishop is present, then he is the one who blesses.

But "God bless you" in English is more of a positive wish than a liturgical blessing.

Or a Christmas carol: http://www.releaselyrics.com/79ad/bing-crosby-christmas-is-a-comin%27-%28may-god-bless-you%29/

If you haven't got a turkey leg, a turkey wing will do.
If you haven't got a turkey wing may God bless you!
God bless you, gentlemen, God bless you!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 07:05:42 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
OC.net guru

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2014, 08:11:00 PM »

Thank you for this practical explanation.

CopticDeacon
Warned
Elder

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2014, 08:16:44 PM »

I think it just might be the person you spoke to. In our Antiochian church, many people say,"inshallah" (God be with you) when saying farewells. Many people also "God willing" in reference to seeing each other again. Most of us are 2nd to 4th generation Americans.
\

I hate to be that guy, but "inshallah" means "by God's will" and tends to get used sarcastically.(when there is no possibility of something happening haha)

Our holy father Abba Pachom, was worthy many times, to see the Lord, and His holy angels.
Our holy father Abba Pachom, you have explained the Commandments of God, and you have perfected all virtues, and you have pleased Christ.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2014, 08:48:26 PM »

I hate to be that guy, but "inshallah" means "by God's will" and tends to get used sarcastically.(when there is no possibility of something happening haha)

laugh

Or it can be very insulting. For example, if someone were to use "inshallah" to refer to someone's upcoming wedding, they might respond, "What do you mean if God's wills?" It would be better to say, "God grant you many years."

The Spanish expression <Ojala> which is derived from the Arabic has the meaning "Would that God" and is very similar to "inshallah."

Both the Arabic and the Spanish expression have the root "ALA" in them.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 08:50:41 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
Warned
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2014, 07:16:30 AM »

\

Perhaps it has a different meaning in dialect.

Antiochian OC N.A.
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2014, 01:15:09 PM »

\

Having lived in Turkey, I was surprised that in Egypt this wish was used to indicate something that probably will not happen. I had thought that it was a devout expression, meaning "God willing," that is, something like "yes, it will happen unless God does not will it to happen."  Smiley

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2014, 01:19:29 PM »

I believe that the layperson can say "God bless you" to everyone, other than a priest/bishop, through whom God bestows blessings on His faithful.

Therefore, it would be inappropriate to tell a priest "God bless you".

My mom always gives me her blessing.  Every single day of my life.  Smiley  She would stop us at the door before we would go out to school.  Make sure our coats were buttoned, that we had our lunches, and would finally word a prayer over us and make the sign of the cross over each of us...and then push us out the door to run to the bus.  As an adult, she would get up each morning and see me off to work the exact same way.....and now that she is bedridden, I go to her before I leave the house, and she does the same thing from her bed.  Cheesy  I am soooo very blessed.

What do people usually say to each other in parting?  Well, "Go with God", "may God watch over you", or "see you next week!" come to mind.  Wink

"S'Bohom" is a common farewell among some East Slavs..... It means 'Be with God' literally but the intent is the same.
Adela
High Elder

« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2014, 01:19:35 PM »

\

Having lived in Turkey, I was surprised that in Egypt this wish was used to indicate something that probably will not happen. I had thought that it was a devout expression, meaning "God willing," that is, something like "yes, it will happen unless God does not will it to happen."  Smiley

I personally like the Jewish/Yiddish "From your lips to God's ears...."  
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2014, 01:25:01 PM »

The answer depends on local tradition to a large part.

For Slavs, "Blahoslavyj Vladyko", or 'Bless, Master' (or in the case of some Bishops who prefer not to be called 'despota/vladyko/master' one can say ' Bless (me). Bishop.' as  the  means to first greet your Bishop. You could say 'Many Years, Bishop' or 'Eis polla eti Despota' or ' Nam Mnohaja Lita, Vladyko' when ending the conversation.
Anna.T
High Elder

« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2014, 02:25:10 PM »

For Slavs, "Blahoslavyj Vladyko", or 'Bless, Master' (or in the case of some Bishops who prefer not to be called 'despota/vladyko/master' one can say ' Bless (me). Bishop.' as  the  means to first greet your Bishop. You could say 'Many Years, Bishop' or 'Eis polla eti Despota' or ' Nam Mnohaja Lita, Vladyko' when ending the conversation.

Oops, then I think I maybe just made a mistake. If he is addressed by some as "Vladyko" or "Vlaydyka" .... I should not call "Father" then?

Christ is in our midst!

My replies should not be taken as representing Orthodox teaching - I am only just learning myself.

Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2014, 02:31:23 PM »

Oops, then I think I maybe just made a mistake. If he is addressed by some as "Vladyko" or "Vlaydyka" .... I should not call "Father" then?

Priest=Father
Bishop=Master
 angel

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Anna.T
High Elder

« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2014, 02:40:03 PM »

Priest=Father
Bishop=Master
 angel

Oops. I did not know he was a Bishop.

I checked and found a picture - pointy hat ... Huh

Too much I do not know, especially when you add different traditions.

Should I apologize?

Christ is in our midst!

podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2014, 03:19:02 PM »

Priest=Father
Bishop=Master
 angel

Should I apologize?

Next time you see him..if he didn't make a big deal out of it, just remember the next time. If he seemed 'offended'...well, decide for yourself....
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2014, 03:23:05 PM »

Priest=Father
Bishop=Master
 angel

Should I apologize?

Next time you see him..if he didn't make a big deal out of it, just remember the next time. If he seemed 'offended'...well, decide for yourself....

I mistakenly addressed a bishop as "Father" and his reply was, "Yes, we are all fathers. The icons for the Ecumenical Councils depict the bishops as Holy Fathers."

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2014, 03:33:54 PM »

one bishop i know disliked being called master ('sayedna' in arabic). we were asked to call him our father the bishop ('abouna al oscof') instead.
i love our coptic bishops, they are very wise but also approachable.
 Smiley

i think if anna t's bishop even noticed the mistake, he would not be offended, probably just glad to see that there is a new person in church who is not orthodox (yet).
 Smiley
Anna.T
High Elder

« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2014, 04:26:56 PM »

Thanks, everyone. Smiley

I think things are fine right now. Smiley

Christ is in our midst!

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

Mzack.

« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2014, 04:55:01 PM »

Not a good conversation for the unfamiliar to overhear though.

"I'm sorry, last time I called you Father, I didn't know you're actually Master. Please forgive me? May I have your blessing? Oh thank you, let me just reverently kiss your hand now."

*HUABAND'S HEAD EXPLODES*
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2014, 06:33:19 PM »

"I'm sorry, last time I called you Father, I didn't know you're actually Master. Please forgive me? May I have your blessing? Oh thank you, let me just reverently kiss your hand now."

Yes. It really makes a mockery of all the humility stuff written by the Church Fathers.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
Anna.T
High Elder

« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2014, 03:01:48 AM »

Yes. It really makes a mockery of all the humility stuff written by the Church Fathers.

I just want to be properly respectful and not rude ...

And when my husband came to church with me, I did not go up and kiss Father's hand that day. Just seemed better not to needlessly scandalize him.

Christ is in our midst!

primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2014, 09:00:56 AM »

After corresponding with my priest via email, I usually end it with God bless. Quite frankly, if people make a big deal about that, its kind of ridiculous.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2014, 09:39:07 AM »

Oh, excuse me as I go prostrate in front of some icons, and sing a hymn to the Virgin Mary.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
CopticDeacon
Warned
Elder

« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2014, 09:55:26 AM »

\

Oh it can be used in reverence; honestly asking for God to fulfill something. When I was speaking to one of my priests about the construction date of the new church, he told me the date followed by "inshalla". We had ground breaking recently so I'm very excited about that.

Speaking to my mentor who's one rank above me in diaconate: whenever I ask him if he's going to liturgy on Saturday he says "inshalla" because he works a lot of Saturday mornings.

Even when I'm 99% sure he'll be at midnight praises on Saturday night, I still ask him, and he still says "Yes, inshalla".

^Some good, real, examples for you. Just note that it can get sarcastic as well.

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2014, 10:01:50 AM »

Ukrainians use the same phrase:  Дай Боже (все добре буде) - God grant/will (all will be well).   In other words, even though a date is set in stone, we still cannot be certain something will not happen either to us, the venue, etc.  Car accident, electric storm, zombie apocalypse, etc.

Therefore, we also add, that we will see you then, "God willing".

—St. Isaac of Syria
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2014, 10:04:54 AM »

The entire saying in Ukrainian goes like:

Дай Боже все гоже,
що негоже поправ Боже.

Grant God, all that is good,
God, amend/fix what is not good (unseemly).

Shortened to Дай Боже (Grant it God).
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 10:05:40 AM by LizaSymonenko » Logged

—St. Isaac of Syria
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2014, 10:21:00 AM »

The entire saying in Ukrainian goes like:

Дай Боже все гоже,
що негоже поправ Боже.

Grant God, all that is good,
God, amend/fix what is not good (unseemly).

Shortened to Дай Боже (Grant it God).

Rusyns as well...and at toasts we offer them, "Дай Боже  "  not "nas davrovje"' .
Anna.T
High Elder

« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2014, 10:26:45 AM »

Oh, excuse me as I go prostrate in front of some icons, and sing a hymn to the Virgin Mary.

More #things2avoiddoing when my husband came to church with me. Thankfully it was the Agape Vespers so nothing I had to explain the reason for in the liturgy, but I also kind of wish he could have experienced the Divine Liturgy.

Christ is in our midst!

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2014, 10:49:46 AM »

Make sure you cross yourself extra slow.  And light a lot of candles.  Then go drink some holy water.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: