OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 29, 2014, 06:30:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ignorant EO attending Ethiopian services  (Read 867 times) Average Rating: 0
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« on: May 30, 2014, 03:28:28 AM »

So my friend told me that there's an Ethiopian liturgy here on sunday. Apparently it's going to be four hours long so I guess it includes Matins too. Is there anything I should remember or pay attention to before and during the liturgy? Should I wear white clothes or something? What's the Ethiopian position on EO-OO intercommunion?
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Christians

Partisangirl
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 03:46:32 AM »

1. Just "go with the flow," so to speak. Observe what the other parishioners are doing and follow suit. Cross yourself when they cross themselves, prostrate and bow whenever they do, etc.
2. Most, if not all, of the Liturgy will probably be in Amharic/Ge'ez, so you might feel a little lost
3. Just dress modestly, and you should be fine. I think they'll realize your new to the Ethiopian Church and unfamiliar with her traditions. If you wear white clothes it might seem like your trying too hard to fit in.
4. Ethiopians probably more than any other OO group commune in EO Churches when they cannot find a parish of their own. I am not sure to what degree, if at all, they reciprocate this Eucharistic hospitality.
5. Ethiopians, like their Coptic brothers, remove their shoes when communing, some of them may even take their shoes off for the entirety of the Liturgy.

Hopefully others will chime in and elaborate on what I've said.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 03:49:21 AM by Severian » Logged

On hiatus from posting. Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact. Note that some of my older posts -especially those prior to late 2012- may not reflect my current views. In the meantime, please pray for my sinful self as I am in a critical and unsure juncture in my life. Thank you.
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 03:57:23 AM »

Thanks, going with the flow was what I had in mind. Not going to take translations or anything with me. As for feeling a bit lost I still remember the time when I was completely lost in EO services even though they were in my native language so that's nothing new. Tongue
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 04:45:54 PM »

I just realized that in all probability I'm going to be the only Finnish and the only White person attending the service. The idea feels a bit weird since I'm used to hearing my own language and being of the same ethnicity with most of the parishioners.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 04:56:55 PM »

I just realized that in all probability I'm going to be the only Finnish and the only White person attending the service. The idea feels a bit weird since I'm used to hearing my own language and being of the same ethnicity with most of the parishioners.

You'll be fine.  I do it all the time.  Tongue

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 05:00:44 PM »

Which church you usually attend?
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 06:12:35 AM »

So we've been separated for over thousand years but I felt right at home once the chanting started. I had no idea of the language or the structure of the services but those didn't bother me at all.

The only situation where I felt a bit lost was the post-liturgical lunch. I can't eat with my bare hands. Is outrage.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 06:14:17 AM by Alpo » Logged
CopticDeacon
ψάλτης (Psaltis) in the God-loving Diocese of NY and New England
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Abba Pachom and St. Cyril, Pray for us!

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 06:54:36 AM »

So we've been separated for over thousand years but I felt right at home once the chanting started. I had no idea of the language or the structure of the services but those didn't bother me at all.

The only situation where I felt a bit lost was the post-liturgical lunch. I can't eat with my bare hands. Is outrage.

I'm happy you felt comfortable in the liturgy!
Did you receive communion?
As for not eating with your hands..... this is a sign of weakness from the white man.

“I have been amazed that some are utterly in doubt as to whether or not the Holy Virgin is able to be called the Mother of God. For if our Lord Jesus Christ is God, how should the Holy Virgin who bore him not be the Mother of God?”

– St. Cyril of Alexandria, Letter to the Monks of Egypt
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2014, 07:01:09 AM »

Nope. I gave it a thought but then I realized that it would be a bit silly as I can easily receive Communion from my own church and we are not in full communion as of yet. I don't like church-hopping. Most of the Ethiopian adults didn't receive either so it wasn't a big deal anyway. The situation would be different if I lived somewhere where EOs aren't available.

The food was delicious though. I think I need to hire an Ethiopian wife cook.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 07:04:46 AM by Alpo » Logged
CopticDeacon
Elder

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2014, 07:20:10 AM »

Ahh. I agree with that as I didn't know your situation before. I'm going to visit a Malankara church today-and take communion. Pray for me!

“I have been amazed that some are utterly in doubt as to whether or not the Holy Virgin is able to be called the Mother of God. For if our Lord Jesus Christ is God, how should the Holy Virgin who bore him not be the Mother of God?”

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2014, 07:29:46 AM »

Ahh. I agree with that as I didn't know your situation before.

My situation is that my church is the second state church around here. OOs are just a tiny immigrant-based minority. Priests travel from abroad and services are conducted in EO churches.
CopticDeacon
Elder

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2014, 07:36:42 AM »

Woah. I haven't heard that one yet haha

frjohnmorris
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 12:56:54 AM »

Woah. I haven't heard that one yet haha

With my Bishop's permission, the local Coptic community conducted their Divine Liturgy in St. Nicholas Antiochian Orthodox Church in Shreveport once a month on Saturday morning. The Holy Table had not yet been consecrated.

Fr. John W. Morris.
dhinuus
Elder

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2014, 10:44:09 PM »

With my Bishop's permission, the local Coptic community conducted their Divine Liturgy in St. Nicholas Antiochian Orthodox Church in Shreveport once a month on Saturday morning. The Holy Table had not yet been consecrated.

Happens all the time.. Here are some photos of the Malankara Syriac Orthodox Holy Qurbana (Divine Liturgy) celebrated at St. Nektarios Greek Orthodox Church, Charlotte, North Carolina

« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 10:47:20 PM by dhinuus » Logged

NULL
Tags: Ethiopian Orthodox Church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: