OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 03:08:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: H.H Ignatius Aphrem II enthroned as Patriarch of Antioch and all the East.  (Read 1601 times) Average Rating: 0
dhinuus
Elder

« on: May 29, 2014, 11:01:04 PM »

His Holiness Mor Ignatius Aphrem II was enthroned as the Patriarch of Antioch and All East on Thursday 29-May-2015 at at Saint Peter’s and Paul Cathedral attached to Mar Ephrem Monastery in Saydnaya, just outside Damascus. H.B Baselious Thomas I  Catholicose (Maphrian) of the East, led the services.

In addition to the various Syriac Orthodox bishops and delegations from the Coptic Church; Greek Orthodox Patriarch of Antioch and All East H.B John X Yazigi and  Syria’s Grand Mufti Ahmad Badr Eddin Hassoun also attended the ceremony.

The Government of Syria was represented by Minister of Presidential Affairs Mansour Azzam, Ministers of States Nazira Sarkis, Joseph Sweid and Jamal Shahin.

1. The following video shows the highlights of the ceremony.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTrbTxP3OGU

2. In the following video, you can listen the Patriarch reading the 'amologia' (ܐܡܘܠܘܓܝܐ). In this declaration of faith,  His Holiness declares the loyalty to the Faith of the Church (Christology, Trinity, decisions of three ecumenical councils) before God and His Angels, and before the Maphrian and the whole Church. Then His Holiness signs the “amologia” which was written with his own hand. This document remains in the archive of the Patriarchate for future generations, such as those of his predecessors.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=640683892691708

During the enthronement service H.H Aphrem II used the Episcopal Staff of Patriarch Elias III, the Eskimo of Patriarch Aphrem I, the Staff of Office of Patriarch Jacob III, the Pectoral Cross and Icons of Patriarch Zakka I.

Some Pics

Catholicse (Maphrian) H.B Thomas I from the enthronement service

With the Greek Orthodox Patriarch of Antioch.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 11:08:09 PM by dhinuus » Logged

NULL
Hawkeye
Onomatodoxicologist
High Elder

Faith: I don't mean to brag but...
Jurisdiction: I've been in an Antiochian church.

Old, "Peter saith unto them, I go a fishing."

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 11:14:49 PM »

What's the significance of the Patriarchs including Ignatius as part of their name upon enthronement?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 11:21:08 PM by Hawkeye » Logged

minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 11:17:02 PM »

Many years! Axios!

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
dhinuus
Elder

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 11:34:46 PM »

What's the significance of the Patriarchs including Ignatius as part of their name upon enthronement?
In honor of their predecessor Ignatios Nurono (the Illuminator) aka  Ἰγνάτιος Ἀντιοχείας. As you can see from the following list...that practice started in the 13th century.
http://sor.cua.edu/Patriarchate/PatriarchsChronList.html

Similarly the Maphrian (aka Catholicose) takes the name Baselious upon enthronement.

NULL
Regnare
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA catechumen

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 11:56:33 PM »

In honor of their predecessor Ignatios Nurono (the Illuminator) aka  Ἰγνάτιος Ἀντιοχείας. As you can see from the following list...that practice started in the 13th century.
http://sor.cua.edu/Patriarchate/PatriarchsChronList.html

Similarly the Maphrian (aka Catholicose) takes the name Baselious upon enthronement.
Who is the Baselious whom the Catholicoi are named after?

"I give praise to your holy Nature, Lord, for you have made my nature a sanctuary for your hiddenness and a tabernacle for your holy mysteries, a place where you can dwell, and a holy temple for your Divinity." --Venerable St. Isaac of Nineveh
kijabeboy03
High Elder

"The glory of God is in man fully alive."

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 12:09:49 AM »

It's so good to see the picture of our two Patriarchs of Antioch together :-). Axios!

"This is the Apostolic Faith, the Orthodox Faith, and the Faith of the Fathers. Having this wonderful treasure, let us preserve it, let us keep it, and let us also use it in such a way that this treasure becomes the victory of Christ in us and in His Church." ~ St. Severus of Antioch ~
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 02:39:01 AM »

Axios! Many years!

You know... since Antioch had two founders (SS. Peter & Paul), maybe it makes sense that we have two Patriarchs. Wink
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 02:40:57 AM by Nephi » Logged
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth

Partisangirl
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 02:43:51 AM »

May God protect HH and all the Christians of Syria, and indeed, all Syrians of all faiths.

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ (Cf. St. John 16:33)
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 08:12:35 AM »

During the enthronement service H.H Aphrem II used the Episcopal Staff of Patriarch Elias III, the Eskimo of Patriarch Aphrem I, the Staff of Office of Patriarch Jacob III, the Pectoral Cross and Icons of Patriarch Zakka I.

What's the "Eskimo"?  Huh

dhinuus
Elder

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 08:34:57 AM »

What's the "Eskimo"?  Huh
It is the name of the hood worn by Syriac monks.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 08:35:23 AM by dhinuus » Logged

NULL
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 08:36:15 AM »

Copts call it "Eskeem"

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2014, 09:00:37 AM »

Thanks. Smiley

Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2014, 10:05:55 AM »

Axios! Axios! Axios!  I love this man.  He's going to be a fantastic patriarch, the best thing for the Church at this point in its history.  God keep him safe and grant him peace on his throne for many years.

"According to the Orthodox Faith, the teachings and traditions one upholds and believes in will necessarily influence and inform one's spiritual orientation and the way one worships..." - Harry Boosalis
dhinuus
Elder

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2014, 10:28:57 AM »

You know... since Antioch had two founders (SS. Peter & Paul), maybe it makes sense that we have two Patriarchs. Wink
There are three more who claim that title... all of them from the various Roman Catholic Rites, namely Maronite Catholic, Greek Melkite Catholic and Syriac Catholic. Till recently there was a sixth one also the Latin Patriarch of Antioch. But Rome has abolished that title in 1964.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 10:47:35 AM by dhinuus » Logged

NULL
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2014, 12:41:02 PM »

There are three more who claim that title... all of them from the various Roman Catholic Rites, namely Maronite Catholic, Greek Melkite Catholic and Syriac Catholic. Till recently there was a sixth one also the Latin Patriarch of Antioch. But Rome has abolished that title in 1964.

But the Syriac and Greek Patriarchs are the ones that matter. angel
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2014, 12:45:51 PM »

Thanks be to God.  angel

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Salpy
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2014, 05:20:37 PM »

Many years!

dhinuus
Elder

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2014, 05:51:12 AM »

Who is the Baselious whom the Catholicoi are named after?
From 1533 Syriac Orthodox Maphrian (aka Catholicose) of the East started adding the name Baselious to their name. This is in honor of Mor Baselious  Rabo.

Also the Syriac Orthodox Patriarch of Jerusalem traditionally always took the name 'Gregorious' .  This has now fallen out of use and the Syriac Orthodox Metropolitan of Jerusalem no longer takes the title Patriarch of Jerusalem nor assumes the name Gregorius.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 05:57:17 AM by dhinuus » Logged

NULL
Regnare
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA catechumen

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2014, 11:56:34 AM »

H.H Aphrem II used the Episcopal Staff of Patriarch Elias III ... the Staff of Office of Patriarch Jacob III
What is the difference, in the Syriac Church between the episcopal staff and the staff of office? Is it like the difference between an Eastern Orthodox bishop's crosier and that other long cane they carry outside the liturgy?

"I give praise to your holy Nature, Lord, for you have made my nature a sanctuary for your hiddenness and a tabernacle for your holy mysteries, a place where you can dwell, and a holy temple for your Divinity." --Venerable St. Isaac of Nineveh
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2014, 12:11:31 PM »

the Syriac Orthodox Metropolitan of Jerusalem no longer takes the title Patriarch of Jerusalem nor assumes the name Gregorius.

Why is that? Did it offend Armenians/Greeks or something?

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2014, 12:43:35 PM »

H.H Aphrem II used the Episcopal Staff of Patriarch Elias III ... the Staff of Office of Patriarch Jacob III
What is the difference, in the Syriac Church between the episcopal staff and the staff of office? Is it like the difference between an Eastern Orthodox bishop's crosier and that other long cane they carry outside the liturgy?

I think that is exactly the difference. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
dhinuus
Elder

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2014, 01:29:43 PM »

This is the staff of office

This is the Episcopal staff known as mooroneetho (or crosier)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 01:31:18 PM by dhinuus » Logged

NULL
dhinuus
Elder

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2014, 01:40:50 PM »

Why is that? Did it offend Armenians/Greeks or something?
I donot know the exact reason. I will try to find out. I think it had more to do with the 'genocide' , persecution and the First World War. In the initial years of the 20th Century, the Patriarch of Antioch had to leave his traditional head quarters at Deyrul' al Zafran Monastery (Kurkkumo Dayro) in modern day Turkey to Jerusalem. Then it was moved to Homs then to Damascus and now temporarily to Lebanon.  So it is possible as the Patriarch of Antioch himself was stationed in Jerusalem there was no need for another Syriac Patriarch of Jerusalem.. and it fell in to disuse.  The above is purely my speculation.

Also I dont think there is much interest in the Syriac Synod at reviving such a Patriarchate; as the revival of the Maphrianate (Catholicate) of the East within the Syriac Church that had also gone into disuse, didnt go over that well.. resulting in schism in India.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 02:04:11 PM by dhinuus » Logged

NULL
CopticDeacon
Αναγνώστης(Reader) in the God-loving Diocese of New York and New England
High Elder

St Nicholas, the Puncher of Heretics, Pray for us!

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2014, 05:48:11 AM »

Axios! Many years!

+800
Copts call it "Eskeem"

Isn't the eskeem the leather chest garment for spiritually seasoned monks? There is a video of pope tawadros receiving it? The terms for the head garment of monks are kalansowa and skoufia.

Also why does the one he's wearing have a million crosses on it. The standard is six on each side. One for each apostle.

"I see the heavens opened up, and the Son of Man seated at the right hand of God"
-St. Stephen the Archdeacon and Protomartyr
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2014, 06:02:14 AM »

Axios! Many years!

+800
Copts call it "Eskeem"

Isn't the eskeem the leather chest garment for spiritually seasoned monks? There is a video of pope tawadros receiving it? The terms for the head garment of monks are kalansowa and skoufia.

Also why does the one he's wearing have a million crosses on it. The standard is six on each side. One for each apostle.
my mistake!  Thank you for correcting me!

Good observation too. Didn't  notice that, which is interesting. How many crosses is there in the patriarch's skimo?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 06:05:10 AM by minasoliman » Logged

CopticDeacon
Αναγνώστης(Reader) in the God-loving Diocese of New York and New England
High Elder

St Nicholas, the Puncher of Heretics, Pray for us!

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2014, 06:17:34 AM »

Axios! Many years!

+800
Copts call it "Eskeem"

my mistake!  Thank you for correcting me!

Good observation too. Didn't  notice that, which is interesting. How many crosses is there in the patriarch's skimo?

As I noted above, one million...on a serious note I too await this answer.

The eskeem is pretty much the Coptic equivalent of the EO Great Schema -Looks cooler than your average monk, does more prostrations than your average monk(with other obligations of solitude reciting the psalms, and fasting until sundown) haha

"I see the heavens opened up, and the Son of Man seated at the right hand of God"
-St. Stephen the Archdeacon and Protomartyr
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2014, 08:17:18 AM »

Axios! Axios! Axios!

The audio is awful on these, but it may of interest to some. I wish SuryoyoSat still broadcast in the Western Hemisphere.

Enthronment of Patriarch of Antioch

(part 1)
http://youtu.be/3S1KwNdFsk4

(part 2)
http://youtu.be/WSCbtexX-Eg

(part 3)
http://youtu.be/Mf5N5sW22io

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2014, 01:49:23 PM »

My understanding was that this was not his own, but was used by one of his predecessors.  The standard eskimo has six crosses on each half and one at the base.  Even the "liturgical" one is usually like this, but I think the Syrians will "embellish" once in a while.  The one HH wore at his enthronement had at least sixty crosses, but was black.  I've seen photos of Mor Gregorios Youhanna Ibrahim (may he and Met. Paul be released) wearing a green eskimo with the standard crosses as part of a set of green vestments.  Neither practice is normative in any way. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2014, 12:39:10 PM »

This is a much better quality video, but not of the full ceremony.

The inauguration of His Holiness Mar Ignatius Ephrem II

http://youtu.be/iATgtTfqqE8

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
dhinuus
Elder

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2014, 02:45:05 AM »

English translation of the Omologia (Statement of Faith) signed by H.H Ignatius Aphrem II prior to his enthronement as Patriarch of Antioch and all the East.  The emphasis in bold is mine.
In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, One True God. Amen.

His Beatitude, our brother Mor Baselios Thoma I, the esteemed Maphryono of India.
Their Eminences the Metropolitans and Bishops of the Syriac Orthodox Church which is loved by Christ and is protected by the Lord.

Since the Holy Spirit called my weak self and you have chosen me—I, the sinner, servant of the Lord—to be seated, by the Grace of God and not by worthiness, on the see of St. Peter the Apostle, the See of Antioch, and to become a general father for the children of Christ our Lord, the Syriac Orthodox Church, I bow my head in front of Him, He Who called me by His infinite knowledge and His incomprehensible wisdom. And I ask of Him, our High-Priest, for wisdom and help to be able to complete my duties with the fear of God and fitting care, to serve this great and holy rank, to work for the glory of God and the salvation of souls, and to labor for the exaltation of the Holy Church.

Because by the grace of God, and by your decree which you have taken counsel together, I am about to approach the exalted rank of the Patriarchate, these declarations of belief are required of me which are in every respect in accordance with the priestly canons and the teaching of the holy fathers, those which I confess before the all-knowing God that with an unshakeable, unchangeable, and resolute will I will embrace and hold onto them until the end of my life. These things, therefore, which are placed in my mind, which by the aid of God I will preserve until my last breath, without error and correctly, are as follows:

I promise before God and His elect angels, that I will unswervingly keep the orthodox faith, that which is from the beginning and from the time of the holy apostles, which the three hundred and eighteen holy fathers received and confirmed at Nicaea, and the holy synod of one hundred and fifty holy fathers, which was gathered in Constantinople, ratified, and likewise the holy synod of Ephesus.
I confess the doctrine of the holy Trinity. That is, three holy qnumē (hypostases) or parsupē (persons), of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, which are known by three particular char¬acteristics, by unbegot¬tenness, and begottenness, and procession. The Father, then, is unbegotten, as He is the cause for the Son and the Spirit. The Son, however, is begotten from the Father, and not from any other. So the Holy Spirit is also a true qnumo, just like the Father and the Son, for together with the fact that the Son was eternally begotten from the Father, so also the Holy Spirit sprung forth by procession from the same Father, even though without being begotten like the Son, but by procession, as is seemly for the Holy Spirit. The three of them are one in Divin¬ity, one God and one ousia (essence), and also one action, one will, one creatorship, one knowledge, but not three gods.

I confess that one of these holy qnumē, I mean the Word God, at the end of times was incarnated for the sake of our salvation from the Holy Virgin, unacquainted with coupling, Mary the Mother of God, who in her soul and in her body was first purified by the Spirit, and He became like us in everything, ‘apart from sin’, as it is written. And thus He was born from her, truly but without passion, and not by false illusion, since He did not cause a body to descend for Him from heaven, nor did He pass through the Virgin as though through a pipe, but He was incarnate from her essence, without tearing the seals of her virginity. And so He was one kyono (being) in His eternal state, and He is the same one being in His incarnate state. But He, however, who was simple and not composite, invisible and untouchable, the same He became composite for our sake, in His manifestation from the Virgin, simultaneously visible and touchable, eternal and temporal, and not one and another. But He Himself is one composite kyono (being) and qnumo (hypostasis). These things are such understood. While I acknowledge the teachers of orthodoxy, the holy fathers, and reverently embrace their teachings, I cast down as preachers under anathema all those who were corrupters of the orthodox.

I believe in the Sacraments of the Church and I accept the Holy Scriptures, both the Old and New Testaments. I promise to uphold the Apostolic Canons, Church Law, and the Patristic Tradition, and I shall never depart from them at all.

I promise to walk in the path of serving the house of God and the faithful honorably, truthfully, flawlessly, actively, and diligently; to be unwavering in fasting and prayer for myself and for the flock of Christ that was entrusted to me to shepherd; to be peaceful, humble, and hospitable to all as our Lord Jesus Christ taught; and to stay far away from drunkenness, greed, usury, conflicts, grudges, cruelty, and vengeance, as Paul the Apostle taught.

I vow to work with my brothers, the bishops of the Church with the love of God and in a spirit of fraternity so that our entire service will be for the glory of God and the exaltation of His Holy Church.

I also proclaim the oneness of faith with my partners in the Apostolic ministry, the shepherds of the sister Oriental Orthodox Churches. I accept the general statements of faith produced by the Joint Commission of the Theological Dialogue between the Orthodox Church and the Oriental Orthodox Churches, in particular the statements produced in Chambésy in 1990 and 1993. I consent to the agreement that took place between my two immediate predecessors and the Heads of the Church of Rome in 1971 and 1984, as well as the agreement with the Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch in 1991.

I, Cyril Aphrem, who by the mercy of God am the Metropolitan of the Eastern United States, having made this confession of faith which is set down above, and having read and carefully considered the matters in it, and all of them having pleased me, and having agreed with it, I have signed with my signature. And I confirm that I will adhere to all of those things in it all the days of my life, without transgression or deviation. And I have confessed these things as though before God and his angels.

NULL
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2014, 10:12:39 AM »

That is an interesting statement of faith. When was this first used? 

dhinuus
Elder

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2014, 11:14:42 AM »

Each "Patriarch elect" writes the statement of faith (Omologia) in their own words. The following is what the 12th century Syriac Patriarch of Antioch, Michael the Syrian says:
"[The Patriarch-elect] is to write with his own hand a declaration of his Orthodox faith which he is obliged to keep: to act justly and righteously, to adhere to the Apostolic canons, to accept the learned and recognized Church Doctors and the three Synods, to reject heretics, to commit himself diligently striving for the peace and progress of the entire Church of God, to reconcile and bring back the dissidents, and so on. He may not, however, write or declare that he is to submit to anyone of those who are about to install him as they submit to him, for they are not to bring charges against him in any matter unless he deviates from the Orthodox faith."
source: Manuscript Vatican Syr 51 which was written in 1172 by Michael Rabo(aka Michael the Great)

H.H Aphrem II has chosen to base his Omologia based on his predecessor  Ciryacus of Takrit, Patriarch of Antioch (AD798-AD817), which is preserved preserved in St. Mark's Monastery (Jerusalem) no. 129. H.H Aphrem II has added his own words as well. I found it interesting how H.H didnt pronounce anathema on any individuals or councils.. embraced all joint statements with the Chalcedonians made by his predecessors and stating the OO Christology. I agree.. it is a very interesting statement of faith.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 11:15:23 AM by dhinuus » Logged

NULL
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2014, 01:56:54 PM »

Each "Patriarch elect" writes the statement of faith (Omologia) in their own words. The following is what the 12th century Syriac Patriarch of Antioch, Michael the Syrian says:
"[The Patriarch-elect] is to write with his own hand a declaration of his Orthodox faith which he is obliged to keep: to act justly and righteously, to adhere to the Apostolic canons, to accept the learned and recognized Church Doctors and the three Synods, to reject heretics, to commit himself diligently striving for the peace and progress of the entire Church of God, to reconcile and bring back the dissidents, and so on. He may not, however, write or declare that he is to submit to anyone of those who are about to install him as they submit to him, for they are not to bring charges against him in any matter unless he deviates from the Orthodox faith."
source: Manuscript Vatican Syr 51 which was written in 1172 by Michael Rabo(aka Michael the Great)

H.H Aphrem II has chosen to base his Omologia based on his predecessor  Ciryacus of Takrit, Patriarch of Antioch (AD798-AD817), which is preserved preserved in St. Mark's Monastery (Jerusalem) no. 129. H.H Aphrem II has added his own words as well. I found it interesting how H.H didnt pronounce anathema on any individuals or councils.. embraced all joint statements with the Chalcedonians made by his predecessors and stating the OO Christology. I agree.. it is a very interesting statement of faith.

You have to chuckle that this has to be your 451st post on this site Wink

In any case that makes more sense, and being as someone who is a hopeless romantic, I approve of the statement of faith. Axios!

ICXCNIKA
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2014, 02:13:42 PM »

There was a beutiful picture of the new Patriarch with representatives of several churches but I can't find it now. I thought I saw it a facebook about a week ago but it doesn't seem to be in my newsfeed anymore. Anyone know which one I am talking about and have a copy they can post?
dhinuus
Elder

« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2014, 06:52:12 PM »

There was a beutiful picture of the new Patriarch with representatives of several churches but I can't find it now. I thought I saw it a facebook about a week ago but it doesn't seem to be in my newsfeed anymore. Anyone know which one I am talking about and have a copy they can post?

Is this the photo that you are referring to ?

NULL
Salpy
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2014, 03:14:52 PM »

Now that's a nice group picture.

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2014, 03:24:57 PM »

Now that's a nice group picture.

Even if it's missing a few people, I agree.  And I think it's lovely that the EO bishops have clearly duophysite beards while the OO bishops have clearly miaphysite beards. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

ICXCNIKA
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2014, 07:58:23 PM »

Is this the photo that you are referring to ?

No but still very nice.
Qoruyo Noah

Jurisdiction: Malankara Syriac Orthodox

« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2014, 04:46:29 PM »

My understanding was that this was not his own, but was used by one of his predecessors.  The standard eskimo has six crosses on each half and one at the base.  Even the "liturgical" one is usually like this, but I think the Syrians will "embellish" once in a while.  The one HH wore at his enthronement had at least sixty crosses, but was black.  I've seen photos of Mor Gregorios Youhanna Ibrahim (may he and Met. Paul be released) wearing a green eskimo with the standard crosses as part of a set of green vestments.  Neither practice is normative in any way. 

It was my understanding that his eskimo had 72 crosses to represent the 72 evangelists, although I didn't count them myself.
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2014, 04:51:19 PM »

It was my understanding that his eskimo had 72 crosses to represent the 72 evangelists, although I didn't count them myself.

Interesting...I've never heard of such a custom, but it would make sense.  Thanks!

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

Tags: Syriac Orthodox 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: