OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 03:50:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EO and OO in Africa  (Read 625 times) Average Rating: 0
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« on: May 29, 2014, 02:20:29 PM »

Not quite sure where to put this and I didn't really want it to go in the private forums, but I was wondering what the relationship is in Africa between Eastern Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox. Is there much friction or do they tend to be cooperative with each other?  There seems to be much talk in the US about attempts at reunion between the two, does anyone know if there is the same kind of conversations in Africa? In Syria, it seems as if the OO and the EO work together pretty closely as was evidenced by the two archbishops that were kidnapped together as they were traveling a year ago. Do the two work together for humanitarian purposes?

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Miaphysite Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 05:19:14 PM »

Subscribed.
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Christians

Partisangirl
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 05:50:55 PM »

Subscribed.

On hiatus from posting. Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact. Note that some of my older posts -especially those prior to late 2012- may not reflect my current views. In the meantime, please pray for my sinful self as I am in a critical and unsure juncture in my life. Thank you.
Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 07:55:00 PM »

I know that they cooperate well in South Africa, where the Coptic Orthodox Church assisted in the establishment of several Eastern Orthodox jurisdictions.  In fact, the Russian Orthodox Church approached His Grace directly, soliciting his help in the establishment of their Pretoria parish, and Sayedna did so much for them in terms of helping with the purchasing of land, registering with the government, finding a car for the priest, and even attending (at the priest's invitation) their parish council meetings that H.H. Patriarch Alexei II presented His Grace with a golden pectoral cross and a personally written and signed citation, the highest award of the Russian Church.  This is just one example.  The Coptic Church also helped other EO jurisdictions to become established in South Africa in similar ways, including the Serbs, and the Copts and the Greeks in South Africa are also close.

“Nothing is better than to realize one’s weakness and ignorance and nothing is worse than not to be aware of them.” - St. Peter of Damascus
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 09:02:52 PM »

Not quite sure where to put this and I didn't really want it to go in the private forums

Then don't expect anything meaningful or interesting to come of it.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 09:20:05 PM »

I know that they cooperate well in South Africa, where the Coptic Orthodox Church assisted in the establishment of several Eastern Orthodox jurisdictions.  In fact, the Russian Orthodox Church approached His Grace directly, soliciting his help in the establishment of their Pretoria parish, and Sayedna did so much for them in terms of helping with the purchasing of land, registering with the government, finding a car for the priest, and even attending (at the priest's invitation) their parish council meetings that H.H. Patriarch Alexei II presented His Grace with a golden pectoral cross and a personally written and signed citation, the highest award of the Russian Church.  This is just one example.  The Coptic Church also helped other EO jurisdictions to become established in South Africa in similar ways, including the Serbs, and the Copts and the Greeks in South Africa are also close.

Pretty nice to hear.

Are there any places where Ethiopian Orthodox jurisdiction overlaps with an EO jurisdiction, or are all such places with overlap Coptic-EO?
Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 09:31:43 PM »

Are there any places where Ethiopian Orthodox jurisdiction overlaps with an EO jurisdiction, or are all such places with overlap Coptic-EO?

The Ethiopian Orthodox Church has missions in South Africa, Ghana, Kenya and Sudan, and they maintain regular contact and cooperation with the Copts all of those countries.  I'm not sure about with the EO though.

“Nothing is better than to realize one’s weakness and ignorance and nothing is worse than not to be aware of them.” - St. Peter of Damascus
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 10:10:31 PM »

Not quite sure where to put this and I didn't really want it to go in the private forums

Then don't expect anything meaningful or interesting to come of it.

That goes for a lot of things.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 11:41:33 PM »

The Ethiopian Orthodox Church has missions in South Africa, Ghana, Kenya and Sudan, and they maintain regular contact and cooperation with the Copts all of those countries.  I'm not sure about with the EO though.

Interesting. I know there's an EO presence in Ghana. I wonder if anyone knows about their possible ties with the Ethiopian presence.
kijabeboy03
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

"The glory of God is in man fully alive."

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 12:15:30 AM »

Pretty nice to hear.

The Alexandrian Orthodox Church has an archdiocese seated in Addis Abeba with jurisdiction over the Horn of Africa, but it is there for the few remaining Greek-speaking parishes in Ethiopia and Eritrea leftover from the late 1800s and early 1900s - their metropolitan seems to have good ties with the Addis Abeba Patriarchate, and they are not evangelistic. (Although some Ethiopians with social or ethnic ties to the Greek community do attend the cathedral in Addis Abeba.)

Elsewhere in Africa Ethiopian and Coptic Orthodox jurisdictions overlap - I don't know if that was originally the case, but in Oriental Orthodoxy there doesn't seem to be the same respect for canonical territory and order that there generally is in Eastern Orthodoxy. (I know the Syriac Orthodox Church protested when the Copts set up the Archdiocese of Jerusalem on their territory a few hundred years ago, but that's long forgotten now - there are Coptic and Ethiopian Orthodox bishops serving in Palestine and the Middle East, Armenian Orthodox bishops in Egypt and the Middle East, et cetera.)

"This is the Apostolic Faith, the Orthodox Faith, and the Faith of the Fathers. Having this wonderful treasure, let us preserve it, let us keep it, and let us also use it in such a way that this treasure becomes the victory of Christ in us and in His Church." ~ St. Severus of Antioch ~
Aidan

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2014, 12:41:43 AM »

I have been attending an Ethiopian Orthodox  church in London where the priests and a proportion of the congregation are of Caribbean origin. One of the priests has been  this year  to Ghana to do a feasibility study on the possibility of starting a mission ('opening a branch', as he put it). Somebody high up in the government told him it was about time!
Tags: Africa 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: