Author Topic: What do average OO (of any tradition) pray daily?  (Read 472 times)

Offline Nephi

• Monster Tamer
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
What do average OO (of any tradition) pray daily?
« on: May 29, 2014, 12:24:56 AM »
I assume the average OO doesn't pray all of the Hours everyday, so what does it usually look like for the regular person that prays daily? Do they just abbreviate the Hours in some way? Only pray one or two? Is there an equivalent to the "morning and evening" prayers found often in the Byzantine tradition? What are catechumens taught to do? Etc.

As the title said, I'm interested in hearing from any or all traditions.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • "In those days I will pour out my Spirit..."
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
Re: What do average OO (of any tradition) pray daily?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 12:34:23 AM »
You might consider reviewing this thread.
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

Mor no longer posts on OCNet.  He follows threads, posts his responses daily, occasionally starts threads, and responds to private messages when and as he wants.  But he really isn't around anymore.

Offline Nephi

• Monster Tamer
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 12:51:23 AM »
You might consider reviewing this thread.

Thank you, I'll give it a perusin'.

Offline dhinuus

• High Elder
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 11:24:40 AM »
In the Malankara Syriac tradition the most common that I have observed is :
'Ninth Hour', 'Evening' , and 'Bedtime(soothoro) all prayed together in the evening around 7pm. The prayers used is the 'Pampakuda Namaskaram' which is simplified form of the Syriac shimo. The English translation can be seen here:
http://sor.cua.edu/Liturgy/SimplePrayer/BedTime.html    This is fairly common and most religious Malankara Christians know these prayers (9th hour, evening and soothoro) by-heart and recite them without the help of a prayer book.

The entire Morning prayers from the Pampakuda Namaskaram prayed daily is not that common. My grandmother and mother used to. For the rest of us in morning it is only the Qawmo (http://sor.cua.edu/Liturgy/SimplePrayer/Qawmo.html ) and the Nicene Creed.  I have never seen a lay man from my family pray the Third or Sixth hour daily.
NULL