OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 10:52:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Congregational plainchant?  (Read 13666 times) Average Rating: 0
Arystarcus
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2005, 03:38:57 PM »

Ann,

Yup, St. Joseph's is completely congregational singing all the time, for all services. It's quite an experience to hear the hymns of the liturgy surrounding you and filling the church, instead of from the choir alone.

In Christ,
Aaron
handmaidenMM

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2010, 10:28:56 AM »

I have been to parishes with the congregational plainchant, but in many new parishes, like ours, most people are converts and almost no one knows the prostopinije hymns so they can't sing along. We have a choir that sings plainchant from the sheet music, sometimes harmonized in thirds because none of us grew up in Carpatho-Russian parishes.
fleer

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ACROD & OCA

« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2010, 11:31:45 PM »

If you would like a good example of prostopinije singing, go to the ACROD (www.acrod.org), go to the bottom of the home page and click on video broadcasts.  Next, click on "Last recorded Cathedral Broadcast" and then pick from the choices shown there or go into the video archives.  I would highly recommend the Divine Liturgy for the 2010 Sobor and the Paschal Matins services.  Metropolitan Nicholas has been particularly instrumental in strongly encouraging the use of the prostopinije plain chant in English all through his Episcopacy in the American Carpatho Russian Orthodox Diocese especially in having the English translation set to this music for all the services of the Church.  I was a member of the Christ the Saviour Cathedral Cantorial group which he formed in the mid 1980's through 1995.  Unfortunately, I had to leave Johnstown in 1995 for job reasons but I still sing with the group whenever possible several times each year.  It was and is a great experience as this is, in my humble opinion anyway, the most beautiful music I have ever experienced in the Orthodox Church.  There is no experience in the world quite like singing the Resurrection Troparion in Plain Chant with the entire Cathedral congregation singing it at the top of their lungs!  There is no choir in the world that sounds this good!
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: