OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 12:14:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recording of Liturgy  (Read 1662 times) Average Rating: 0
goodness_of_fit

« on: April 13, 2005, 09:26:12 AM »

I am looking for a recording of the Liturgy of Saint John Chrysostom. Done in the Byzantine style. I attended my firat service at the local GOA parish and would like to hear it a few more times before we go back so I can become more fimilar with it. It was mostly in english with Greek here and there.

I would love to just find a download of a service but am willing to pay for a CD if need be.

Can anyone help me out.

Thanks,

-r

NULL
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2005, 03:57:38 PM »

There is actually a new version from the Cathedral in Balamand Lebanon in English. The byzantine chanting is good and you can understand everything well even with it being in full byzantine arrangements ( a difficult  area when sung in English). They are specific on the disk packaging to discuss the hardest peice to understand the Hymn of the Great Entry sung in English but with very traditional Byzantine setting. If you go to the www.antioch.org and look at their Word magazine on line, it has how you can get the CD. I have it and gave it to several parishioners who are homebound and they have all agreed with me that it is a good recording of the Divine Liturgy in English.

In Christ,
Thomas
« Last Edit: April 13, 2005, 07:32:06 PM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
troy

Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2005, 04:01:25 PM »

Try here:

http://www.goarch.org/en/multimedia/audio/liturgy.asp

GOARCH.org has lots of audio/video goodies you might want to browse through.
goodness_of_fit

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2005, 09:40:21 AM »

Thanks Thomas I will check that out. But you obviously ment www.antiochian.org not www.antioch.com. The latter looks like a charasmatic site   Shocked

Troy I am looking for something in mp3 or a CD. The GOA website has everything in Real Audio which is not very portable. Also the quality of it (or maybe its the source recording they have) is not very good. But thanks for the pointer.

Am I right that they style I heard at my local GOA church was byzantine chanting?

Thanks for all your help,
-r
« Last Edit: April 14, 2005, 09:45:40 AM by goodness_of_fit » Logged

NULL
troy

Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2005, 06:57:34 PM »

Yeah, I personally despise Real Audio files, but maybe you can find a good convertor on the net somewhere, for free.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2005, 07:46:33 PM »

Thanks Thomas I will check that out. But you obviously ment www.antiochian.org not www.antioch.com. The latter looks like a charasmatic site Shocked

Troy I am looking for something in mp3 or a CD. The GOA website has everything in Real Audio which is not very portable. Also the quality of it (or maybe its the source recording they have) is not very good. But thanks for the pointer.

Am I right that they style I heard at my local GOA church was byzantine chanting?

Thanks for all your help,
-r

Actually, the real source (the site of the person who produced, who lives a mile away from me) is www.kelfar.net/OrthodoxiaRadio
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2005, 08:56:39 PM »

I am not sure about a full liturgy, but member Dismas's site is also loaded with music files for download:

http://www.orthotracts.org/

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2005, 09:19:59 PM »

I am not sure about a full liturgy, but member Dismas's site is also loaded with music files for download:

http://www.orthotracts.org/

Yeah!  Where is that guy lately?  Re:  RealAudio files.  There is some awesome Serbian chant linked to at the bottom of his homepage, but are in Real Audio files which are a little difficult to deal with.
Dismas

OC.net

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2005, 11:52:06 PM »

:dunno:

Thanks for the comments.

Just finished loading all the ACORN programs for people to download...
Pls refer people who have questions to them.
They are excellent.
http://orthotracts.org/ACORN/acorn.html

Peace,
Dismas

Peace,
Dismas
input--->process--->output
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: