Author Topic: Recording of Liturgy  (Read 1775 times)

Offline goodness_of_fit

Recording of Liturgy
« on: April 13, 2005, 09:26:12 AM »
I am looking for a recording of the Liturgy of Saint John Chrysostom. Done in the Byzantine style. I attended my firat service at the local GOA parish and would like to hear it a few more times before we go back so I can become more fimilar with it. It was mostly in english with Greek here and there.

I would love to just find a download of a service but am willing to pay for a CD if need be.

Can anyone help me out.

Thanks,

-r
NULL

Offline Thomas

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
Re: Recording of Liturgy
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2005, 03:57:38 PM »
There is actually a new version from the Cathedral in Balamand Lebanon in English. The byzantine chanting is good and you can understand everything well even with it being in full byzantine arrangements ( a difficult  area when sung in English). They are specific on the disk packaging to discuss the hardest peice to understand the Hymn of the Great Entry sung in English but with very traditional Byzantine setting. If you go to the www.antioch.org and look at their Word magazine on line, it has how you can get the CD. I have it and gave it to several parishioners who are homebound and they have all agreed with me that it is a good recording of the Divine Liturgy in English.

In Christ,
Thomas
« Last Edit: April 13, 2005, 07:32:06 PM by Thomas »
Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas

Offline troy

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2005, 04:01:25 PM »
Try here:

http://www.goarch.org/en/multimedia/audio/liturgy.asp

GOARCH.org has lots of audio/video goodies you might want to browse through.

Offline goodness_of_fit

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2005, 09:40:21 AM »
Thanks Thomas I will check that out. But you obviously ment www.antiochian.org not www.antioch.com. The latter looks like a charasmatic site   :o

Troy I am looking for something in mp3 or a CD. The GOA website has everything in Real Audio which is not very portable. Also the quality of it (or maybe its the source recording they have) is not very good. But thanks for the pointer.

Am I right that they style I heard at my local GOA church was byzantine chanting?

Thanks for all your help,
-r
« Last Edit: April 14, 2005, 09:45:40 AM by goodness_of_fit »
NULL

Offline troy

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2005, 06:57:34 PM »
Yeah, I personally despise Real Audio files, but maybe you can find a good convertor on the net somewhere, for free.

Offline Elisha

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2005, 07:46:33 PM »
Thanks Thomas I will check that out. But you obviously ment www.antiochian.org not www.antioch.com. The latter looks like a charasmatic site :o

Troy I am looking for something in mp3 or a CD. The GOA website has everything in Real Audio which is not very portable. Also the quality of it (or maybe its the source recording they have) is not very good. But thanks for the pointer.

Am I right that they style I heard at my local GOA church was byzantine chanting?

Thanks for all your help,
-r

Actually, the real source (the site of the person who produced, who lives a mile away from me) is www.kelfar.net/OrthodoxiaRadio

Offline Αριστοκλής

• Merarches
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2005, 08:56:39 PM »
I am not sure about a full liturgy, but member Dismas's site is also loaded with music files for download:

http://www.orthotracts.org/
"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides

Offline Elisha

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2005, 09:19:59 PM »
I am not sure about a full liturgy, but member Dismas's site is also loaded with music files for download:

http://www.orthotracts.org/

Yeah!  Where is that guy lately?  Re:  RealAudio files.  There is some awesome Serbian chant linked to at the bottom of his homepage, but are in Real Audio files which are a little difficult to deal with.

Offline Dismas

• OC.net
    • Orthotracts
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2005, 11:52:06 PM »
 :dunno:

Thanks for the comments.

Just finished loading all the ACORN programs for people to download...
Pls refer people who have questions to them.
They are excellent.
http://orthotracts.org/ACORN/acorn.html

Peace,
Dismas
Peace,
Dismas
input--->process--->output