OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 24, 2014, 09:44:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Teachers upset with new dress code requiring underwear  (Read 1294 times) Average Rating: 0
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« on: May 27, 2014, 07:56:21 PM »

It goes on to state, “No see-through or sheer clothing shall be allowed, and no skin shall be visible between pants/trousers, skirts, and shirts/blouses at any time.”

Female teachers are also required to wear a bra.

http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/education/teachers-upset-new-dress-code-requiring-underwear/nf77z/

Would you fight against this rule?

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 08:12:00 PM »

Yes.  If the above rule is being met what business is it of anybody if someone is wearing underwear or not?  And how do the propose to check/enforce?  Surprise underwear checks?  No way this stands a union challenge.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 08:19:34 PM by Deacon Lance » Logged

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 09:40:03 PM »

Yes.  If the above rule is being met what business is it of anybody if someone is wearing underwear or not?  And how do the propose to check/enforce?  Surprise underwear checks?  No way this stands a union challenge.

Frankly, I agree with you.

For the ladies, what kind or brand of bras are they going to legislate?

And you are correct about weird snap inspections, is the superintendent or his/her deputy going to pinch the back of every female and snap her bra?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 09:49:55 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 10:54:15 AM »

And you are correct about weird snap inspections, is the superintendent or his/her deputy going to pinch the back of every female and snap her bra?
You can bet that if the superintendent/deputy is male, inspections will be a regular occurrence  Cheesy

Quite frankly, there's really nothing in those rules to which I would personally object. It's really sad that such rules have to be spelled out. I rather suspect that the real objection is not against the rules themselves but against the very idea that "someone is telling moi how to dress. How dare they!" There was once a time when people knew how to dress tastefully. When I was in teacher training in the mid-70s, men had to wear ties and women had to wear skirts/dresses. (In real life, that practice was already on its way out.)
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 11:07:54 AM »

My application has already been sent. 
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 11:11:51 AM »

There are plenty of teachers who need this rule. Its shocking how some of them dress at the school I work at...especially the 74 year-old cat-lady-hoarder-insane-math teacher.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 12:05:51 PM »

There are plenty of teachers who need this rule. Its shocking how some of them dress at the school I work at...especially the 74 year-old cat-lady-hoarder-insane-math teacher.

PP
She should probably wear underwear.

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 12:07:31 PM »

Semper ubi, sub ubi!

Latin: Always where, under where.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 12:08:31 PM »

sub ubi!

Lips Sealed

*facepalm*
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 12:08:40 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 12:31:48 PM »

It goes on to state, “No see-through or sheer clothing shall be allowed, and no skin shall be visible between pants/trousers, skirts, and shirts/blouses at any time.”

http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/education/teachers-upset-new-dress-code-requiring-underwear/nf77z/

I would not fight at all.  There is NO WAY I'd send my children to public school.  If teachers are seriously upset about having to dress "modestly" in front of students, I think there are many more things deep down that are wrong.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 12:52:28 PM »

I would not fight at all.  There is NO WAY I'd send my children to public school.  If teachers are seriously upset about having to dress "modestly" in front of students, I think there are many more things deep down that are wrong.

Where I was teaching at the community college, there were a bunch of autistic boys and young men who would suddenly reach down into a teacher's blouse and grab her breasts if the blouses were low cut. Thus, teachers were encouraged to wear longer skirts or slacks with vests on top of their modest blouses.

Autism/Aspergers was a blessing in that sense.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 12:54:54 PM »

Years ago I had an art teacher who didn't have a belt, never pulled her pants up and apparently didn't have any underwear. I remember how she picked up a dropped pencil in front of my desk. A horrid sight if ever there was one.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 12:56:56 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

-Samuel Coleridge
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2014, 01:16:56 PM »

Years ago I had an art teacher who didn't have a belt, never pulled her pants up and apparently didn't have any underwear. I remember how she picked up a dropped pencil in front of my desk. A horrid sight if ever there was one.

Don't they teach custody of the eyes anymore?   Roll Eyes

I know what you mean as I took a ceramics class where my professor had trouble keeping his pants up. He wore those low cut jeans and every time he would bend over or even sit at the wheel, we would have to avert our eyes from his backside.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 01:33:31 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2014, 01:42:57 PM »

I read in the news about female teachers on trial for having sex with their male underage high school pupils. For well endowed female teachers to come to class with see through blouses, basically exposing their breasts, could be sending the wrong message to the underage boys in her class.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 02:10:00 PM by stanley123 » Logged
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2014, 02:02:49 PM »

Yes. I read in the news about female teachers on trial for having sex with their male underage high school pupils. For well endowed female teachers to come to class with see through blouses, basically exposing their breasts, could be sending the wrong message to the underage boys in her class.

Boys will always like big breasts, but a teacher still needs the proper morals and common sense that you do NOT have sex with students.  No excuse, regardless of what a teacher wears.

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2014, 05:02:32 PM »

Yes. I read in the news about female teachers on trial for having sex with their male underage high school pupils. For well endowed female teachers to come to class with see through blouses, basically exposing their breasts, could be sending the wrong message to the underage boys in her class.

Boys will always like big breasts, but a teacher still needs the proper morals and common sense that you do NOT have sex with students.  No excuse, regardless of what a teacher wears.

You can put a religious habit on a whore, but if she has not repented, she is still a whore.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2014, 10:23:50 PM »

You can put a religious habit on a whore, but if she has not repented, she is still a whore.

this is fantastic, hahah

SCREW BON JOVI!
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2014, 10:25:46 PM »

It doesn't matter what a female teacher wears; if she has sex with a student, it makes her a pedophile.

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2014, 07:16:55 PM »

It doesn't matter what a female teacher wears; if she has sex with a student, it makes her a pedophile.

Actually it doesn't, depending on the age of the student; it makes her a statutory rapist.  Pedophile is a psychological term, not a legal one.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2014, 08:19:37 PM »

You you guys saying pedophile by "law" as in state law or moral law?

If it was a 22 year old teacher and 16 year old student, some people (including myself) - don't exactly think of that is pedophilia.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
kelly
UNSUBSCRIBED from the world
OC.net guru

St. Eudoxia of Moscow

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2014, 08:23:12 PM »

If it was a 22 year old teacher and 16 year old student, some people (including myself) - don't exactly think of that is pedophilia.

You're right, it's ephebophilia.

kelly and I spend all our free time collecting pictures of Russian monarchs.  Its a thing we do.
LBK
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2014, 08:50:56 PM »

Ever heard of the term in loco parentis? Morally and legally, such a "relationship" is plain wrong.
therovingmethodist

Faith: Catecuhmen
Jurisdiction: OCA

A very bad Christian

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2014, 09:05:29 PM »

Zing.

"One Bishop to rule them all, One Bishop to find them, One Bishop to bring them all and in the darkness bind them"
-Kostac
kelly
UNSUBSCRIBED from the world
OC.net guru

St. Eudoxia of Moscow

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2014, 09:37:28 PM »

I wonder if Yesh would feel differently if his children were in school.

kelly and I spend all our free time collecting pictures of Russian monarchs.  Its a thing we do.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2014, 05:17:13 PM »

http://www.lewrockwell.com/lrc-blog/duchess-of-cambridge-agate/

Duchess of Cambridge made the news for her lack of appropriate underwear.
It is sad that this type of sleazy gossip is called news.

To wear or not wear underclothes is not a feminist argument, nor is there one right answer to the questions being asked about the necessity of wearing boob or bottom protection. To wear or not wear some form of cover-up is a choice made by an individual, usually without much contemplation or strategizing, because sometimes you feel like it, and sometimes you don’t. It’s just not that complicated.

What one wears in the bedroom is different from what one wears in the streets. However, what one wears in the bedroom could be worn in the streets without questions if a 9.0 earthquake or fire were to happen.

Even still, teachers and people who work around children, especially the autistic, need to dress appropriately, and slacks would be a better option.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 05:23:53 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2014, 05:23:54 PM »

Only if the teacher's primary or exclusive sexual interest is for individuals around 16.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2014, 05:40:34 PM »

Ever heard of the term in loco parentis? Morally and legally, such a "relationship" is plain wrong.

Eros has always been part of the teacher-student relationship; from the Athenians to Abelard and Heloise to, apparently, some of our contemporary teachers. It would seem that there are some precedents.

That being said, all teachers who engage in that kind of activity should receive the treatment Abelard got.

-Samuel Coleridge
OrthoNoob
OC.net guru

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2014, 05:46:23 PM »

Wikipedia: 'Ephebophilia strictly denotes the preference for mid-to-late adolescent sexual partners, not the mere presence of some level of sexual attraction.'

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2014, 07:06:51 PM »

I remember in the 70s that the debate was about female students and teachers wearing pants and Jeans, we digress into underwear now.

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2014, 01:25:32 PM »

In 7th I was attracted to the 22 year old substitute teacher. Needless to say, it went so far that I actually stole my mother's wedding ring and asked this woman to marry me, the whole class erupting into laughter. It made me a celebrity for the rest of Jr. High Smiley it wasn't so much that she dressed inappropriately as much as it was that I was simply an animal. I wonder if this is the case with other students.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2014, 01:34:53 PM »

if you got caught, you would find out what the state law was.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2014, 01:38:01 PM »

In 7th I was attracted to the 22 year old substitute teacher. Needless to say, it went so far that I actually stole my mother's wedding ring and asked this woman to marry me, the whole class erupting into laughter. It made me a celebrity for the rest of Jr. High Smiley it wasn't so much that she dressed inappropriately as much as it was that I was simply an animal. I wonder if this is the case with other students.
pics pls

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2014, 01:39:44 PM »

Fortunately AR has taken care of the unions, ranked 48th
http://edexcellence.net/publications/how-strong-are-us-teacher-unions.html

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2014, 01:43:45 PM »

Frankly, I agree with you.

For the ladies, what kind or brand of bras are they going to legislate?

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2014, 01:52:22 PM »

Amen!

OrthoNoob
OC.net guru

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2014, 02:42:36 PM »

State law doesn't get to define pædophilia.

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
OrthoNoob
OC.net guru

« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2014, 02:43:02 PM »

:-|

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2014, 02:44:06 PM »

tell that to the warden. police

Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2014, 03:45:41 PM »

You can bet that if the superintendent/deputy is male, inspections will be a regular occurrence  Cheesy

On behalf of the LBGTQ community, I think that is a male chauvinist pig, sexist comment!

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2014, 06:51:12 PM »

Depends upon the age of consent, which varies in each state.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
OrthoNoob
OC.net guru

« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2014, 02:39:56 AM »

I really hope you're being deliberately obtuse and that you dont actually fail to understand the difference between pædophilia and statutory rape.

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2014, 10:00:14 AM »

On behalf of the LBGTQ community, I think that is a male chauvinist pig, sexist comment!

Drop the guacamole and quinoa and you could get a decent BLT out of that.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2014, 10:33:56 AM »

Avocados on a quinoa salad are delightful.  Bacon just makes it better.

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2014, 07:26:34 PM »

You guys are making me hungry. I used to buy the Petit Pain Pascal at Trader Joes, but they are getting new vendors: local bakeries in each area to supply these marvelous little loaves of organic whole wheat bread (if vendors can be found).

I like to dress my sandwiches with avocadoes.

BLT = Butter, Lettuce, and Tomato sandwiches. Yum.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2014, 07:33:42 PM »

I really hope you're being deliberately obtuse and that you dont actually fail to understand the difference between pædophilia and statutory rape.
sorry, I don't recognize words with "æ" in English.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: