OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 04:28:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hey Everyone! Free Stuff!  (Read 1359 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« on: May 23, 2014, 08:23:14 PM »

Well that's the question. If you find an image using Google, let's say of an icon, how do you find out who has the rights to using it, if anyone? Or do you even have to worry about that if you are using it for non-commercial reasons? I think for wiki pics the right-holder has to give permission. Do other sites follow such rules/laws/customs/whatever? Do Orthodox sites--this one or any other--secure permission for using images or icons or art work in headers and such? Or is it basically just a thing where, it's out there on Google, and do most people consider it (rightly or wrongly?) to fall under 'fair use'?

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 08:29:26 PM »

Well that's the question. If you find an image using Google, let's say of an icon, how do you find out who has the rights to using it, if anyone? Or do you even have to worry about that if you are using it for non-commercial reasons? I think for wiki pics the right-holder has to give permission. Do other sites follow such rules/laws/customs/whatever? Do Orthodox sites--this one or any other--secure permission for using images or icons or art work in headers and such? Or is it basically just a thing where, it's out there on Google, and do most people consider it (rightly or wrongly?) to fall under 'fair use'?

I'm very disappointed in you Justin.  I wanted the stuff that costed $ free.99 you were talking about  Tongue

(good question...btw)

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 09:07:25 PM »

If it pops up on Google images, I use it.

If you want to be certain, follow the image to its parent page.  If on the parent page you can right click and save it, then go for it.

Most pages that like to copyright their stuff, will give you a pop-up upon your right click, informing you that you are not allowed to use the image, or will direct you to a page where you can actually purchase it.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: