OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 12:22:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Commandments of Jesus Christ  (Read 1603 times) Average Rating: 0
Stephen Levi
Moderated

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Christian

« on: May 23, 2014, 05:23:35 PM »

The purpose and point of this thread is to discuss and to learn and to teach the commandments of Jesus Christ to those who want to read and participate. I will go through the new testament and take them one by one. This is all voluntary, of your own free will, not mine. If it offends you or you are way beyond this in your life or for whatever reason this is not for you or to you liking...then do not come back on this thread and read it. I am going to post this on all the other Christian forums so if you believe posting the same gospel the commandments of Jesus Christ, right out of the bible all over the internet as spamming...then I would advice you to go take it up with the Lord. Because to me it is blessing.

We will start with this.

John, Chapter 14, 15:   If ye love me, keep my commandments.

John, Chapter 14, 21: He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

John, Chapter 15, 10: If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 05:33:21 PM »

If virtues can be commandments (or are sometimes synonymous), then this may help me go more presicely in the right direction...

Problem: John finds a spider under his bed. John eats the spider. John gets sick to his stomach.

Question: Why did John get sick?
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
OC.net guru

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

And primitivist Platonist patrologist poseur

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 06:34:08 PM »

St. John is using 'entoli': a common Greek word meaning a pronouncement from somebody in charge, such as a direction from a field general. I'm not saying it ought to be translated "orders" rather than "commandments"; I'm just revealing some of my own thought process when I consider what "commandments" does mean (a very uncommon word in English, outside of Biblespeak where it tends to mean The Ten Commandments). At any rate:

-- If we remember the Lord is a living Master, we who are his slaves (douloi, as he so often termed his followers) can expect to be taking orders from him day-to-day.

However, such orders will undoubtedly be consistent with Christ's reported teaching (and with the Fathers and tradition). Some of what is written that enters my mind are the so-called Sermon on the Mount and Sermon of the Sheep and the Goats ("works of mercy" sermon, to some).

Above all, I think of "Love one another," repeated in various forms throughout the Gospel passage your quotes come from, and of John the Theologian's letters explaining that the commandment is to love.

Warning: I am not Orthodox yet and don't have an Orthodox background.

In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 08:19:03 PM »

The purpose and point of this thread is to discuss and to learn and to teach the commandments of Jesus Christ to those who want to read and participate. I will go through the new testament and take them one by one. This is all voluntary, of your own free will, not mine. If it offends you or you are way beyond this in your life or for whatever reason this is not for you or to you liking...then do not come back on this thread and read it. I am going to post this on all the other Christian forums so if you believe posting the same gospel the commandments of Jesus Christ, right out of the bible all over the internet as spamming...then I would advice you to go take it up with the Lord. Because to me it is blessing.

We will start with this.

John, Chapter 14, 21: He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

John, Chapter 15, 10: If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

Indeed!  The sad state of Christians today is that with all the divisions, there are a huge chunk that do not keep His commandments.  For Christ promised us that the gates of Hades shall not prevail against the Church.

One wonders then, when Christ left, Christ had to have entrusted His commandments to the Apostles.  The Apostles also entrusted the commandments to bishops, presbyters, and deacons.  Christ commanded us to eat His body and drink His blood.  Christ commanded us to baptize in the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

Indeed Christ commanded many things, and we still fall short.  May the Lord have mercy on us all that we may return to follow His commandments, which the Apostles shared with us, and which were maintained by the ancient Church throughout the centuries, where Hades never prevailed against.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Justin Kolodziej
Elder

Faith: Catholic (Carmelite wannabe)
Jurisdiction: The Bishop of Raleigh

which way's mt. carmel again???

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 10:09:57 PM »

Bah! You are right. I can't even keep the one: "This is my commandment: love one another as I love you."  Sad

St. Justin Martyr, St. John Cassian, St. Simon Stock, St. Theresa of Avila, St. John of the Cross, pray for me!
Stephen Levi
Moderated

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 10:19:49 PM »

Bah! You are right. I can't even keep the one: "This is my commandment: love one another as I love you."  Sad
If you can't obey the simple and the least greatest of them, then you surely will not obey the greatest of them all.
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 11:41:29 PM »

If you can't obey the simple and the least greatest of them, then you surely will not obey the greatest of them all.
Perhaps you could provide us with some tips on how to keep the commandments?

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Stephen Levi
Moderated

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2014, 12:23:46 PM »

I will do so for you when we reach that point in the order of the thread.
Stephen Levi
Moderated

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2014, 12:26:36 PM »

We will start with this.

If you do not keep the commandments of Jesus Christ,
you do not love, Jesus Christ.

True or false?
TheTrisagion
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2014, 12:28:35 PM »

I will do so for you when we reach that point in the order of the thread.
Could you provide an outline to the thread so we can know what we should be discussing when?

TheTrisagion
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2014, 12:32:49 PM »

We will start with this.

True or false?
I don't think the logic quite follows. If my children don't obey what I tell them, it doesn't mean they don't love me, but I might tell them if they love me they need to do what I am instructing them to do. That is what Christ is saying.

Stephen Levi
Moderated

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2014, 12:38:40 PM »

We will start with this.

True or false?
I don't think the logic quite follows. If my children don't obey what I tell them, it doesn't mean they don't love me, but I might tell them if they love me they need to do what I am instructing them to do. That is what Christ is saying.
You are not God and your children are not you.
TheTrisagion
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2014, 12:49:03 PM »

I agree. I am just saying I think your logic is flawed.

Stephen Levi
Moderated

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2014, 12:54:04 PM »

Show us the flaw.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2014, 01:00:17 PM »

Show us the flaw.

Grammar for one.  The comma placement changes your question.

Justin Kolodziej
Elder

Faith: Catholic (Carmelite wannabe)
Jurisdiction: The Bishop of Raleigh

which way's mt. carmel again???

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2014, 09:08:57 PM »

this isn't going anywhere fast. So who out there can truly say they are keeping the first and greatest commandment? "Hear, O Israel! The LORD is our God, the LORD alone! Therefore, you shall love the LORD, your God, with your whole heart, and with your whole being, and with your whole strength." Or the second like it? "You shall love your neighbor as yourself."

St. Justin Martyr, St. John Cassian, St. Simon Stock, St. Theresa of Avila, St. John of the Cross, pray for me!
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2014, 09:24:27 PM »

Show us the flaw.

Are you referring to yourself in the plural, Stephen?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 09:24:42 PM by LBK » Logged
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2014, 11:31:27 PM »

Show us the flaw.

"My name is Legion, for we are many."

LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2014, 12:47:33 AM »

Show us the flaw.

"My name is Legion, for we are many."

I dips me lid to you, sir.  laugh
Stephen Levi
Moderated

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2014, 01:28:17 AM »

The ONLY way anyone, can abide in the love of Jesus Christ,
is to keep the Commandments of Jesus Christ, as Jesus Christ
kept the commandments of God, His Father.

True or false?
Rambam
High Elder

Faith: Check
Jurisdiction: I'm color blind

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2014, 01:31:46 AM »

Its like a 'choose your own adventure' book. Except all the options take us to the same page: 'Oops! You're dead.'
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2014, 01:38:49 AM »

Its like a 'choose your own adventure' book. Except all the options take us to the same page: 'Oops! You're dead.'

I miss those books.

Stephen Levi
Moderated

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2014, 02:57:40 AM »

We will start with this.

We will start with this.

True or false?

The gospel of Jesus Christ is his commandments.

When you repent you are to do what?

OBEY HIS COMMANDMENTS

The Commandments of Jesus Christ

is

the way

the life

the truth.

The commandments of Jesus Christ

is eternal life.

The Salvation of God.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 03:03:21 AM by Stephen Levi » Logged
LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2014, 03:01:13 AM »

Umm, Stephen, repeatedly posting verses from scripture is not a discussion, it's a monologue. Get to the point of the thread, please.
Stephen Levi
Moderated

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2014, 03:04:02 AM »

Umm, Stephen, repeatedly posting verses from scripture is not a discussion, it's a monologue. Get to the point of the thread, please.

You are in extreme trouble with the Lord. He said to me to tell you
that you are soon to get a visitation.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 03:04:54 AM by Stephen Levi » Logged
LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2014, 03:08:20 AM »

Am I supposed to be frightened by what you've just said? Sorry, don't buy it. I don't know what "lord" or "god" you're listening to.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 03:10:06 AM by LBK » Logged
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2014, 03:24:31 AM »

I would urge you to read Job 13:1-19.  Verse 5, especially.

LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2014, 03:29:39 AM »

Now why would Stephen want to do that, hecma? He has a direct line to God.  Tongue Roll Eyes
Stephen Levi
Moderated

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2014, 03:32:11 AM »

He has a direct line to God.  Tongue Roll Eyes
This is correct.  I am in direct contact by the Holy Ghost with God at all times.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2014, 03:32:49 AM »

Now why would Stephen want to do that, hecma? He has a direct line to God.  Tongue Roll Eyes
Then he wouldn't even need to look it up. Wink

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2014, 03:35:56 AM »

This is correct.  I am in direct contact by the Holy Ghost with God at all times.
Via the Mainline?

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2014, 03:36:22 AM »

Is there someone to whom we can talk to verify that you're telling us the truth? So far it seems that the only evidence you've given us is "because I say so".
Stephen Levi
Moderated

« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2014, 03:37:25 AM »

Is there someone to whom we can talk to verify that you're telling us the truth? So far it seems that the only evidence you've given us is "because I say so".
The evidence is here, you just are to carnal to see it.
Stephen Levi
Moderated

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2014, 03:38:09 AM »

Even if the Lord would send his angel to you, you still could not believe.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2014, 03:41:35 AM »

What does it mean "to carnal"?  I carnal, you carnal, we shan't carnal, they are carnaling?

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2014, 03:43:04 AM »

Even if the Lord would send his angel to you, you still could not believe.
2 Corinthians 11:14 - I'll save you the trouble in case your spirit is on call waiting:

And no wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light

Stephen Levi
Moderated

« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2014, 03:43:14 AM »

What does it mean "to carnal"?  I carnal, you carnal, we shan't carnal, they are carnaling?
I am not your teacher.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2014, 03:44:54 AM »

I am not your teacher.

Stephen Levi
Moderated

« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2014, 03:47:13 AM »

The word of the Lord just came to me with a message for you. Do not post not one more word on any of the threads that I started.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2014, 03:51:05 AM »

At least he used past tense, so you are free to participate in future threads.

Problem: John finds a spider under his bed. John eats the spider. John gets sick to his stomach.

Question: Why did John get sick?
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2014, 03:52:38 AM »

I would urge you to read Job 13:1-19.  Verse 5, especially.

He has a direct line to God.  Tongue Roll Eyes
This is correct.  I am in direct contact by the Holy Ghost with God at all times.
Stephen, all you are to me is an anonymous yahoo on the Internet. Other than the fact that you call yourself Stephen Levi, I know absolutely nothing about you. You therefore need to cite someone else who testifies to your worthiness of trust.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 03:55:47 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2014, 03:52:53 AM »

The word of the Lord just came to me with a message for you. Do not post not one more word on any of the threads that I started.
Your "lord" is not my Lord.

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2014, 03:53:48 AM »

At least he used past tense, so you are free to participate in future threads.
Yikes, and I just posted several words on this very thread!  I wonder what his Ouija board will say next.

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2014, 03:54:10 AM »

The word of the Lord just came to me with a message for you. Do not tell anyone not to post anywhere on this forum.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 03:54:23 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2014, 03:55:48 AM »

Who are you to order us around?

Oh, and my visitation hasn't arrived. He must have been given the wrong directions.
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: