OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 11:10:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who/what all count as a Saint?  (Read 226 times) Average Rating: 0
Porter ODoran
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

Erst Amish Appalachian

« on: May 23, 2014, 04:22:03 PM »

Thanks for all the information on these boards. They're invaluable to inquirers. Here's a question I've done a little searching to try to answer, but still have questions. I know that, in addition to the Church's martyrs, God-bearers, and so forth, the Holy Prophets count as saints. But: ( 1 ) Who else from the pre-Christian era might be ayioi? and what is the criteria? ( 2 ) After the schism, how are Western "saints" evaluated for sanctity? or are they ever? ( 3 ) Are biblical or divine qualities ever ayioi? For example, I understand that there was a real-life St. Sofia with daughters Agapi and so forth. But is that coincidental to Holy Wisdom, i.e., is Wisdom sainted itself?

In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
Mor Ephrem
NO TENURE FOR DEPONIO!!
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"And you shall call his name Jesus..."

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 04:30:12 PM »

I know that, in addition to the Church's martyrs, God-bearers, and so forth, the Holy Prophets count as saints. But: ( 1 ) Who else from the pre-Christian era might be ayioi?

"Ancestors, fathers, patriarchs..."

and what is the criteria?

Sanctity?  I'm not sure I understand the question. 

( 2 ) After the schism, how are Western "saints" evaluated for sanctity? or are they ever?

Officially, post-schism "saints" of non-Orthodox Churches are not evaluated one way or the other. 

( 3 ) Are biblical or divine qualities ever ayioi? For example, I understand that there was a real-life St. Sofia with daughters Agapi and so forth. But is that coincidental to Holy Wisdom, i.e., is Wisdom sainted itself?

"Holy Wisdom" is Christ.  We don't canonise qualities, virtues, "good stuff", etc.  Smiley

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
Porter ODoran
Archon

Erst Amish Appalachian

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 04:39:15 PM »

Thank you. Hmm I think my post got kind of mired in its own language. Let me try to put some of it in a very practical way: Could one name a child after a "Saint" Filadelfia or Omilia or Alitheia? (and in re the Old Testament) after a St. Josiah or Jael (i.e., good characters but not prophets)?

In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
Mor Ephrem
NO TENURE FOR DEPONIO!!
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"And you shall call his name Jesus..."

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 04:42:08 PM »

Could one name a child after a "Saint" Filadelfia or Omilia or Alitheia?

If there was an actual person with that name recognised as a saint, why not? 

(and in re the Old Testament) after a St. Josiah or Jael (i.e., good characters but not prophets)?

See above.  Wink

It's not necessary to be a "prophet", but it is necessary to be a saint. 

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
Porter ODoran
Archon

Erst Amish Appalachian

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 06:23:37 PM »

Believe it or not, the Schlock Icons thread is really helping me understand some of this.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: