OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 05:55:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The convert's post-something-grand-about-Orthodoxy thread  (Read 3552 times) Average Rating: 0
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy.

« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2014, 12:25:50 AM »

In other words its a nice way to enjoy people with cultures other than WASPism.

And yet another way to exercise that self-flagellating Western guilt and self-hatred.

Better to "flagellate" now than to wait till Judgment.

In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2014, 02:00:45 PM »

• I love that I have a leader named His All Holiness Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew. Smiley
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 03:08:14 PM by Thomas » Logged

In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Warned
Archon

« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2014, 02:11:13 PM »

The part where you participate in Worship.
wainscottbl
Aspie weirdo of the forum
Archon

Faith: One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Somewhere between Rome and Constantinople (Roman Catholic investigating Eastern Orthodoxy)

Sister and my two nieces, Halloween 2014.

« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2014, 05:31:56 PM »

The simple magic of walking into an Orthodox church. I suppose to us Westerns it is exotic. When we think of Orthodox we think either Russian or Greek. My dad thinks Russian when I have mentioned joining the Orthodox Church. My doctor when the Antiochian priest was visiting me in the hospital asked him, "Oh, like Greek Orthodox?" Whatever Church you visit--Greek, Russian, Antiochian--it's exotic. And heavenly. It's what the Catholic Church was in the Middle Ages many traditional Catholics may forget. There was, after all a wall dividing the priest from the faithful in the Middle Ages. And even at Trent though it was starting to fade away in those days. The whole exoticness. But not just the sensuous exoticness, but the heavenlyness. All the icons and how the whole church is designed to make you feel you are in heaven.

"To love someone means to see him as God intended him."
                                                                   --Fyodor Dostoevsky
xOrthodox4Christx
Protokentarchos

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2014, 06:21:14 PM »

• I love that I have a leader named His All Holiness Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew. Smiley

'First among equals' really isn't a leader. He divides sometimes more often than he leads some will tell you.

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2014, 06:27:09 PM »

'First among equals' really isn't a leader. He divides sometimes more often than he leads some will tell you.

*shrug* He's a leader for me.

Georgii
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR, German Diocese

Holy Martyr Afra, pray to God for us!

« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2014, 12:22:46 PM »

• That I was joining a hundred generations in true friendship and worship

This morning I was making prostrations and thinking about how hard it was to stand up again. When I came to "Grant, o Lord, remission of sins to all our fathers, brethren and sisters that have departed before us in the faith and hope of resurrection...", the thought hit me that the grandmothers from Reply #39 are praying with and for us, too.

my garment accuses me, for it is not a wedding garment
    littlepilgrim64
    Elder

Faith: Pre-catechumen
    Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner.

« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2014, 08:04:23 PM »

Theosis. Everything about Christianity makes more sense with theosis.

I'm still trying to understand Theosis.
    littlepilgrim64
    Elder

Faith: Pre-catechumen
    Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner.

« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2014, 08:58:03 PM »

As I enter the narthex and encounter the scent of the incense it's as if the Lord is wooing me to Himself to come into His presence and worship with His people.  You know you are in a holy place, standing there in fear, awe and wonder throughout the entire liturgy as you worship in communion with those around you.
    wainscottbl
    Archon

Jurisdiction: Somewhere between Rome and Constantinople (Roman Catholic investigating Eastern Orthodoxy)

« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2014, 10:46:36 PM »

Theosis. Everything about Christianity makes more sense with theosis.

I'm still trying to understand why supposedly it can be understood as the Catholic term beatitude as in the state of one in the Beatific Vision. If one removes seeing the essence of God from the mix, why can't we say Beatific Vision? That said, I do like the idea of theosis as it explains a lot about the fall even. That maybe the fruit was a means to theosis and Adam at it prematurely.

--Fyodor Dostoevsky
    john_mo
    High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
    Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2014, 05:12:32 AM »

Yeah, for me it's worshiping with all five senses, having such a responsive clergy and being part of such a rational Church.  Yes, I find the Orthodox mind to be quite rational.

Orthodoxy is my JAM!

Love is not blind; that is the last thing that it is. Love is bound; and the more it is bound the less it is blind.

—G.K. Chesterton
    CharalambisMakarios

Faith: Protestant
    Jurisdiction: Considering Orthodoxy

« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2014, 06:24:59 PM »

Though I'm not yet a convert, I'll post a few things:

1. Theosis-ever so much. The idea that we're not just worshipping God and Jesus as some kind of cosmic fire insurance against Hell, but that through our faith and prayer and living and by His grace we may enter glorious union with Him, be transfigured, sanctified and made radiant.

2. On that note, mysticism, and the fact that the Orthodox Church makes room for contemplatives like me who are often somewhat marginalized by modern American Christianity.

3. Liturgical languages-perhaps a more Biblical interpretation of "speaking in tongues". I'm a total language geek anyway, and while I know God hears us in every language, I love hearing and participating in prayer and worship through the diversity of human tongues.

4. Community that is focused on recreating as best as humanly possible the Way of life and worship according to Jesus Himself.

5. (on a slightly smaller note), this prayer:
    Lord, bless those who praise You and sanctify those who trust in You. Save Your people and bless Your inheritance. Protect the whole body of Your Church. Sanctify those who love the beauty of Your house. Glorify them in return by Your divine power, and do not forsake us who hope in You. Grant peace to Your world, to Your churches, to the clergy, to those in public service, to the armed forces, and to all Your people. For every good and perfect gift is from above, coming from You, the Father of lights. To You we give glory, thanksgiving, and worship, to the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, now and forever and to the ages of ages.

Anna.T
    High Elder

Faith: One of the Orthodox Faithful - no longer a Catechumen!
    Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

Κύριε, ἐλέησον!

« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2014, 07:35:03 PM »

Though I'm not yet a convert, I'll post a few things:

1. Theosis-ever so much. The idea that we're not just worshipping God and Jesus as some kind of cosmic fire insurance against Hell, but that through our faith and prayer and living and by His grace we may enter glorious union with Him, be transfigured, sanctified and made radiant.

2. On that note, mysticism, and the fact that the Orthodox Church makes room for contemplatives like me who are often somewhat marginalized by modern American Christianity.

3. Liturgical languages-perhaps a more Biblical interpretation of "speaking in tongues". I'm a total language geek anyway, and while I know God hears us in every language, I love hearing and participating in prayer and worship through the diversity of human tongues.

4. Community that is focused on recreating as best as humanly possible the Way of life and worship according to Jesus Himself.

5. (on a slightly smaller note), this prayer:
    Lord, bless those who praise You and sanctify those who trust in You. Save Your people and bless Your inheritance. Protect the whole body of Your Church. Sanctify those who love the beauty of Your house. Glorify them in return by Your divine power, and do not forsake us who hope in You. Grant peace to Your world, to Your churches, to the clergy, to those in public service, to the armed forces, and to all Your people. For every good and perfect gift is from above, coming from You, the Father of lights. To You we give glory, thanksgiving, and worship, to the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, now and forever and to the ages of ages.

Wow, +1. I could have written this post. Every word of it. Smiley

Aγιος ὁ Θεός, Ἅγιος ἰσχυρός, Ἅγιος ἀθάνατος, ἐλέησον ἡμᾶς

Remembering our most holy, pure, blessed, and glorious Lady, the Theotokos and ever virgin Mary, with all the saints, let us commit ourselves and one another and our whole life to Christ our God
    Maximum Bob
    Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2014, 12:23:29 AM »

I would offer a small suggestion on this one point. I think most Orthodox would say we don't recreate but rather that we continue. A small point, but perhaps with some significance.

A very good list though. Smiley

AS MANY OF YOU AS HAVE BEEN BAPTIZED INTO CHRIST HAVE PUT ON CHRIST, ALLELEUIA
    Porter ODoran
    Erst Amish Appalachian
    Archon

« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2014, 12:38:26 AM »

I would offer a small suggestion on this one point. I think most Orthodox would say we don't recreate but rather that we continue. A small point, but perhaps with some significance.

A very good list though. Smiley

Which is another thing grand: real documented provenance to the earliest centuries, for Orthodox practice, rather than the strident sophistications a seeker among Protestant sects becomes resigned to.

CharalambisMakarios

« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2014, 10:39:11 AM »

Thanks, Anna T.!

With regards to "re-create" vs. "continue", I only use the word "re-create" because the history of the apostolic succession is in some places a little fuzzy and hard to discern. That doesn't mean that it isn't mostly true, and I think in spirit Orthodoxy captures the apostolic church very well, but I feel that there isn't enough information to precisely equal the original church of the apostles. I would agree that it is a continuation, however.

tl;dr-history is complicated, but I don't disagree with you
    Georgii
    Elder

« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2014, 02:25:52 AM »

You are what you eat.

CharalambisMakarios

« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2014, 06:52:23 PM »

You are what you eat.

Cheesy lol. Though Eucharist alone isn't sufficient for theosis, I feel, though it contributes most definitely.
    William
    Muted
    Protokentarchos

« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2014, 07:24:56 PM »

I value the extensive use of psalms in worship. For me at least, it makes Orthodoxy more biblical than even the most austere of Protestants.
    « Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 07:28:05 PM by William » Logged

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
    Georgii
    Elder

« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2014, 09:12:18 PM »

Cheesy lol. Though Eucharist alone isn't sufficient for theosis, I feel, though it contributes most definitely

I didn't have a proper catechumenate, but it seems to me that if God has instituted the Eucharist as the way to make us gods, who are we to refuse?
    « Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 09:33:57 PM by Georgii » Logged

ElizabethanElizabeth
    Orthodox Convert - Nov. 2013

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
    Jurisdiction: GOArch

Most Holy Theotokos, Intercede For Us.

« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2014, 02:11:39 AM »

• The Church Fathers and Mothers
    • "Friends" in High places Wink
    • The Icons, which I feel so beautifully encapsulate the Truth of the Orthodox Faith
    • The physicality of worship - crossing oneself, bowing, kissing, singing, praying, etc.
    Porter ODoran
    Erst Amish Appalachian
    Archon

« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2014, 02:13:13 AM »

I value the extensive use of psalms in worship. For me at least, it makes Orthodoxy more biblical than even the most austere of Protestants.

Presbyterians and many other Calvinists traditionally sing nothing else.

wainscottbl
    Archon

« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2014, 01:51:03 PM »

That hypocrisy and self-righteousness is worse than being a prostitute, just like in the Bible, but that prostitutes are not just said to be okay because they are "nice"people. You get the "Do not judge" without the stupid liberal relativism.

--Fyodor Dostoevsky
    hecma925
    Non-clairvoyant
    Warned
    Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2014, 01:29:26 AM »

That hypocrisy and self-righteousness is worse than being a prostitute, just like in the Bible, but that prostitutes are not just said to be okay because they are "nice"people. You get the "Do not judge" without the stupid liberal relativism.

Jesus liked saying, "Sin no more."  Huh.

wainscottbl
    Archon

« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2014, 09:47:39 PM »

Jesus liked saying, "Sin no more."  Huh.

That;s my point. Jesus tells the prostitute to sin no more. He does not call on the law which rightly justifies stoning her. He shows mercy, asking the sinless to stone her. He could have stoned her but he did not. We are called to remember the danger of being the men stoning her in our righteousness. Or the publican who prays the Jesus Prayer, which should be ours.

--Fyodor Dostoevsky
    gueranger
    Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
    Jurisdiction: ROCOR

St. Alexis of Wilkes Barre, pray for me a sinner.

« Reply #70 on: July 14, 2014, 10:37:58 PM »

Something grand about Orthodoxy?

The monks!

“Hold firmly that your faith is identical to that of the ancients, deny this and you dissolve the unity of the Church.” -St. Thomas Aquinas

http://www.amazon.com/His-Broken-Body-Understanding-Catholic/dp/0615183611

http://www.bloomsbury.com/us/the-banished-heart-9780567442208/
    Tags:
    Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
      Print  

Jump to: