OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 23, 2014, 04:20:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Member Pins  (Read 3947 times) Average Rating: 0
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« on: April 12, 2005, 03:45:14 PM »

Please click the "member map" button at the top and update your location.

Thank you

R
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2005, 03:24:31 AM »

Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2005, 09:30:18 AM »

How do I get a Texas flag for my pin instead of a US flag?

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2005, 09:42:18 AM »

How do I get a Texas flag for my pin instead of a US flag?

Yeah, and I'd rather have a St. George's cross than that hideous hodge podge that is the Union Flag

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Columba

St. Columba of Iona, pray for us...

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2005, 11:13:22 AM »

Please forgive my ignorance but how do I place a pin on the member map?
Columba

St. Columba of Iona, pray for us...

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2005, 11:17:31 AM »

Never mind, I figured it out..
monkvasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC 0f USA

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2005, 11:57:29 AM »

To up load my own avatar, what's the size limit?

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2005, 11:58:56 AM »

Robert,

Most days I'm physically in one location, but spiritually and mentally it's questionable, what then my friend ?

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Felipe Ortiz

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate

For He was made man that we might be made God.

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2005, 12:01:18 PM »

Ah, the member map confirmed my suspicions of old. There's obviously a Northeastern, Yankee bias on this board!  Grin
« Last Edit: April 13, 2005, 12:13:19 PM by Felipe Ortiz » Logged
Felipe Ortiz

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2005, 12:07:55 PM »

I'd rather have a St. George's cross than that hideous hodge podge that is the Union Flag

I truly find the Union Flag cute... There are not too many pretty national flags in the world, but the UK flag (in my opinion) is one of them.
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2005, 02:17:43 PM »

If you supply me with the flag you want, I can add it Smiley

Thanks
R
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2005, 02:24:54 PM »

Done.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2005, 02:30:56 PM »

Ah, the member map confirmed my suspicions of old. There's obviously a Northeastern, Yankee bias on this board! Grin

Unfortunately someone had the bright Idea of sticking most the Orthodox Theological Schools in the Northeast...rest assured I'll be happy to leave New England once I graduate. Wink

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
monkvasyl
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2005, 02:45:54 PM »

Unfortunately someone had the bright Idea of sticking most the Orthodox Theological Schools in the Northeast...rest assured I'll be happy to leave New England once I graduate. Wink

Come on New England isn't that bad...LOL Except for its winters. I can't wait for our monastery to begin down in North Cariolina...then good-bye NE for me, too.

troy

Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2005, 03:51:05 PM »

Where are they opening a monastery up in North Carolina?
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA

OC.net

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2005, 03:57:14 PM »

I went to Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary on the north shore of Boston 25 years ago. I loved the north shore - so beautiful - but yes cold. The only place I carried a jacket in my car in July - just in case the evening grew cold. I wore that jacket in Fenway Park in July!
But Boston is such a great city, most of what NYC has to offer (if you are a jazz fan like me) but without the size and hassles.
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2005, 04:06:12 PM »

Interestingly, I just got an alumni directory. I checked under the "denominatiional" listings {they didn't have the option of ___ the Church ____the various churches (ie. denominations)}  Wink
anyway.... there are only like nine listings under Eastern Orthodox. So I guess, although a lot of protestants are converting, not a lot of reformed evangelical pastors are. Interstingly also, of the Orthodox listed, over half, like me, have secular jobs and did not go from protestant ministry to Orthodox priest.
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2005, 07:54:54 PM »

Although I placed my pin in Boston, because unfortunately that is where I am forced to live currently, for a few months every year I have the opportunity to live in Dayton, Ohio, the center of the universe where my family and heart dwells....

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
jmbejdl
OC.net guru

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2005, 03:28:05 AM »

And here's the St. George's cross:

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2005, 07:00:23 AM »

I truly find the Union Flag cute... There are not too many pretty national flags in the world, but the UK flag (in my opinion) is one of them.

I like the flag of Nepal: http://www.flags.net/letterindex.php?letter=n just because it's unique, the only flag that isn't square or rectanglular.

Proverbs 22:7
monkvasyl
High Elder

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2005, 08:27:09 AM »

Where are they opening a monastery up in North Carolina?

Hieromonk Joshua has received a blessing from our Holy Synod of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA to form the monastery.  He's in the processing of getting the land, and waiting for me to finally come for a visit and arrange a date for my moving there.  I think there might be aother possible canidate for the community, too.  I just hope my dog gets along with his dog.  Just what I need my dog to beat up the future abbot's dog...lol

Felipe Ortiz

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2005, 12:34:08 PM »

I0 like the flag of Nepal: http://www.flags.net/letterindex.php?letter=n just because it's unique, the only flag that isn't square or rectanglular.

Yeah, I like it too...

I also like Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Cambodia and South Korea flags. Isle of Man flag is funny.

The current flag of my own country does not seem entirely bad, but the former one that waved during the happier days of Imperial Brazil (1822-1889) was clearly better:

« Last Edit: April 14, 2005, 12:38:12 PM by Felipe Ortiz » Logged
Felipe Ortiz

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2005, 01:05:08 PM »

By the way, a new glance in the member map shows that now I'm the loneliest monk of this board, since Pedro has left the strictness of an anchoritic life in Sucre for the sweetness of an cenobitic life in Fort Worth...  Cheesy Now I'm alone in the South American wilderness. My closest fellow seems to be Veniamin, but "closest" is too odd a word in such conditions.  Smiley
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2005, 03:16:59 PM »

By the way, a new glance in the member map shows that now I'm the loneliest monk of this board, since Pedro has left the strictness of an anchoritic life in Sucre for the sweetness of an cenobitic life in Fort Worth... Cheesy Now I'm alone in the South American wilderness. My closest fellow seems to be Veniamin, but "closest" is too odd a word in such conditions. Smiley

LOL Yes, I used to live there, but have been here for eight years...can't live in the past, I guess, but...ah, memories, -+no?

Now waiting to take advantage of that promised TX flag...  Grin
« Last Edit: April 14, 2005, 03:18:35 PM by Pedro » Logged

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2005, 04:23:22 PM »

Now waiting to take advantage of that promised TX flag...  Grin

Same here, Pedro.  Cheesy

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2005, 04:53:58 PM »

Now waiting to take advantage of that promised TX flag... Grin

This brings up a good point, I am somewhat bothered by the clear political bias of this maping system towrds federalism. I am a citizen of the State of California (though I have the misfortune to be currently living in Massachusetts), a state which is a member of the political entity known as the United States...hence properly speaking, I am a Californian by Birth, and only an 'American' by the association of my state with several other states. Unfortunately, regardless of where we are in these United States we are branded with the federal flag, not even having the option of the flag of our Sovereign State...

Robert, as someone from North Carolina (or at least currently living in North Carolina), I would have expected you to know better...Wink

But other than that minor point, I like the Member Map...it was a good idea.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2005, 05:25:40 PM »

I am a citizen of the State of California (though I have the misfortune to be currently living in Massachusetts)...

Frightening.  We are probably geographically close when you are not at seminary.
jmbejdl
OC.net guru

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2005, 03:27:25 AM »

By the way, a new glance in the member map shows that now I'm the loneliest monk of this board, since Pedro has left the strictness of an anchoritic life in Sucre for the sweetness of an cenobitic life in Fort Worth... Cheesy Now I'm alone in the South American wilderness. My closest fellow seems to be Veniamin, but "closest" is too odd a word in such conditions. Smiley

It doesn't seem to be much better for me either. Only prodromos and I seem to be in Europe and we could hardly be further apart without being on different continents.

I also second the notion of using more local state flags. I'm not British (who is?) but I was born, grew up and live in England, so I'm still waiting for a St. George's cross. Of course, as a Yorkshireman I'd rather have a white rose, but that's possibly getting a little too parochial.

I wouldn't actually have so much against the Union Flag if it acknowledged Wales as a country in its own right rather than as a conquered possession of England. Maybe they should stick a red dragon in the middle?

James

Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2005, 09:33:53 AM »

man, ya'll are picky.  gonna have to enjoy it as is because i'm not changing anything HA

Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2005, 09:35:02 AM »

...except I might add a confederate flag for the south Smiley
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2005, 10:04:45 AM »

man, ya'll are picky.  gonna have to enjoy it as is because i'm not changing anything HA

:'(

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2005, 11:59:01 AM »

...except I might add a confederate flag for the south Smiley

Well, that's a start at least Wink

Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2005, 12:05:34 PM »

Quote from: robert
man, ya'll are picky. gonna have to enjoy it as is because i'm not changing anything HA

Fine.  Indian giver!  Wink

Quote from: robert
...except I might add a confederate flag for the south  Smiley

I dig the sentiment, but talk about living in the past...

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
CoweyB
Cú Mhaighe

St Cowey of the Ards pray for us!

« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2005, 07:17:00 PM »

It doesn't seem to be much better for me either. Only prodromos and I seem to be in Europe and we could hardly be further apart without being on different continents.

I'll join you if I may and bump the European percentage up by 33.333%!

I wouldn't actually have so much against the Union Flag if it acknowledged Wales as a country in its own right rather than as a conquered possession of England. Maybe they should stick a red dragon in the middle?

James

I think the reason why poor old Wales isn't represented on the Union Flag is because of its status as a principality at a level below the 'three kingdoms' as our Victorian forebears would have called them.

As you say the Union flag isn't PC at all with the Cross of St George for England superimposed over St Andrew's Cross and St Patrick's Cross but it does look much better than stripy flags I think!

Cowey

In unforseen events let us not forget that all is sent by Him
jmbejdl
OC.net guru

« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2005, 04:07:24 AM »

CoweyB,

Welcome to Europe! Stripey flags? Do you mean tricolors and the like? I'd have to disagree, I much prefer the simple Romanian tricolor with all its symbolism to the Union Flag. Now, if they'd just add their wonderful (and distinctly Christian) eagle coat of arms to the centre, that would be the perfect flag!

I still fail to see why Wales shouldn't be acknowledged in the Union Flag, by the way, and since when was Northern Ireland a kingdom?

James

Rustaveli
Constant In Opal... Ultramarine

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Eastern Church

Saint Shota Rustaveli

« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2005, 07:52:01 AM »

If you supply me with the flag you want, I can add it Smiley

Thanks
R

... How about the newly-restored flag of Holy Georgia, High in the Caucasus (14th century, chosen in 2004 to replace the more mundane pre- and Early post-Soviet one)?

It's the Cross of St. George (plus four...), which should please the Angles!

" Flag Description:

....  white rectangle, in its central portion a red cross connecting all four sides of the flag; in each of the four corners is a small red bolnur-katskhuri cross; the five-cross flag appears to date back to the 14th century..."

Flag of Georgia

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/flags/gg-lgflag.gif

(see also...

http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/ge.html)

« Last Edit: April 27, 2005, 07:55:10 AM by Rustaveli » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: