Author Topic: The Spirits of God  (Read 15582 times)

Offline Aindriú

• Faster! Funnier!
  • Protokentarchos
    • Blog
Re: The Spirits of God
« Reply #135 on: May 24, 2014, 03:18:24 PM »

I'm going to need this.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Censer-following zapivka-dipper
« Reply #136 on: May 24, 2014, 03:19:14 PM »
Thank you.  I hate the praise of men.

You're doing a great job with this thread.
That glory belongs to the Spirit of God. I have only posted what I was instructed to post.
Who/what instructed you?  Is it controlling you right now?
That has already been answered in Reply #118
Being instructed is different from being controlled.  My question still stands.
Are you saying that the instructions, that the Spirit of the Lord, did not control me, when I obeyed them? Yes or no?
Did you freely decide to obey a spirit?  Yes or no?
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Stephen Levi

« Reply #137 on: May 24, 2014, 03:38:00 PM »

That glory belongs to the Spirit of God. I have only posted what I was instructed to post.
Are you saying that the instructions, that the Spirit of the Lord, did not control me, when I obeyed them? Yes or no?
What spirit?

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #138 on: May 24, 2014, 03:42:01 PM »

What spirit?
You tell me.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline Stephen Levi

« Reply #139 on: May 24, 2014, 03:47:10 PM »

What spirit?
You tell me.
If I tell you will you believe me? Yes or no?

Offline methodius

• Elder
« Reply #140 on: May 24, 2014, 03:48:15 PM »
God does not control His children; from the very beginning, at our creation we were given the gift of free choice: to obey Him, or not. This is one difference between mankind and most other Creation.
kyrie eleison

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #141 on: May 24, 2014, 03:50:34 PM »

What spirit?
You tell me.
If I tell you will you believe me? Yes or no?

Also, it's dependent on the feeling you have that it's controlling you.

Offline Stephen Levi

« Reply #142 on: May 24, 2014, 03:55:37 PM »
Will you believe me if I tell you? Yes or no?

Offline Stephen Levi

« Reply #143 on: May 24, 2014, 03:56:24 PM »
God does not control His children; from the very beginning, at our creation we were given the gift of free choice: to obey Him, or not. This is one difference between mankind and most other Creation.

Who controls you?

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #144 on: May 24, 2014, 04:20:42 PM »
"The impure spirit shook the man violently and came out of him with a shriek." - Mark 1:26
"Well, do I convince you, that one ought never to despair of the disorders of the soul as incurable? ...For even if thou shouldst despair of thyself ten thousand times, I will never despair of thee" - St. John Chrysostom

Offline Stephen Levi

« Reply #145 on: May 24, 2014, 04:39:26 PM »
"The impure spirit shook the man violently and came out of him with a shriek." - Mark 1:26
I have the power of the Holy Ghost. I have cast demons out of people.

Offline methodius

• Elder
« Reply #146 on: May 24, 2014, 04:40:48 PM »
Stephen;
perhaps you didn't understand.
I am in 'control' of myself.
Because of God's grace, freely given by Him, I can choose to obey Him, or not; by my own free will. I try, not very successfully always, to live following the Beatitudes and the two Great Commandments.
   I am supported in this by the Giver of Life - the Holy Spirit- God Himself when I am willing to obey Him; but I am in control of my own life and can refuse His Grace at any time.
kyrie eleison

Offline Stephen Levi

« Reply #147 on: May 24, 2014, 04:43:01 PM »
Stephen;
perhaps you didn't understand.
I am in 'control' of myself.
Because of God's grace, freely given by Him, I can choose to obey Him, or not; by my own free will. I try, not very successfully always, to live following the Beatitudes and the two Great Commandments.
   I am supported in this by the Giver of Life - the Holy Spirit- God Himself when I am willing to obey Him; but I am in control of my own life and can refuse His Grace at any time.
When you commit sin are you still in control? Yes or no?

Offline methodius

• Elder
« Reply #148 on: May 24, 2014, 04:48:32 PM »
Yes.
I have chosen to disobey God;
I can choose (or not) of my own free-will given by Him to me to confess and be absolved and turn back to Him.
kyrie eleison

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #149 on: May 24, 2014, 04:54:15 PM »

Simply from this?
"Well, do I convince you, that one ought never to despair of the disorders of the soul as incurable? ...For even if thou shouldst despair of thyself ten thousand times, I will never despair of thee" - St. John Chrysostom

Offline Stephen Levi

« Reply #150 on: May 24, 2014, 04:59:23 PM »
Yes.
I can choose (or not) of my own free-will given by Him to me to confess and be absolved and turn back to Him.
Here is what is written in the bible about anyone
who willfully commits sin as you have confessed here that you do.

Hebrews, Chapter 10, 26:   For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,

Offline methodius

• Elder
« Reply #151 on: May 24, 2014, 05:10:19 PM »
'I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over  ninety and nine just persons which need no repentance.'
(Luke 15:7)
kyrie eleison

Offline Ansgar

• Archon
  • Keep your mind in hell and do not despair
« Reply #152 on: May 24, 2014, 05:12:36 PM »
Yes.
Here is what is written in the bible about anyone
who willfully commits sin as you have confessed here that you do.

Hebrews, Chapter 10, 26:   For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,

This is wht we have the Church. Here is what St John Chrysostom says:

For if we sin willfully, after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remains no more sacrifice for sins, but a certain fearful looking for of judgment, and fiery indignation which shall devour the adversaries.

1. Trees which have been planted, and have had the advantage of all other care, and the hands and the labors of the cultivator, and yet yield no return for the labors, are pulled up by the roots, and handed over to the fire. So somewhat of this kind takes place also in the case of our Illumination.  For when Christ has planted us, and we have enjoyed the watering of the Spirit, and then show no fruit; fire, even that of Hell, awaits us, and flame unquenchable.

Paul therefore having exhorted them to love and to bringing forth the fruit of good works, and having urged them from the kindlier [considerations] (What are these? That we have an entrance into the holy of holies, the new way which He has inaugurated for us. Hebrews 10:20), does the same again from the more gloomy ones, speaking thus. For having said, not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is, but exhorting one another, and so much the more, as you see the day approaching Hebrews 10:25, this being sufficient for consolation, he added, For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth. There is need, he means, of good works, yea, very great need, For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remains no more sacrifice for sins. You were cleansed; you were set free from the charges against you, you have become a son. If then thou return to your former vomit, there awaits you on the other hand excommunication and fire and whatever such things there are. For there is no second sacrifice.

2. At this place we are again assailed by those who take away repentance, and by those who delay to come to baptism. The one saying, that it is not safe for them to come to baptism, since there is no second remission: And the other asserting that it is not safe to impart the mysteries to those who have sinned, if there is no second remission.

What shall we say then to them both? That he does not take away repentance, nor the propitiation through repentance, nor does he thrust away and cast down with despair the fallen. He is not thus an enemy of our salvation; but what? He takes away the second Washing. For he did not say, no more is there repentance, or no more is there remission, but no more is there a sacrifice, that is, there is no more a second Cross. For this is what he means by sacrifice. For by one sacrifice, he says, He has perfected forever them that are sanctified Hebrews 10:14; not like the Jewish [rites.]. For this reason he has treated so much throughout concerning the Sacrifice, that it is one, even one; not wishing to show this only, that herein it differed from the Jewish [rites], but also to make [men] more steadfast, so that they might no longer expect another sacrifice according to the Jewish law.

For, says he, if we sin willfully. See how he is disposed to pardon. He says, if we sin willfully, so that there is pardon for those [who sin] not willfully. After the knowledge of the truth: He either means, of Christ, or of all doctrines. There remains no more sacrifice for sins, but what? A certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation which shall devour the adversaries. By Adversaries he means not the unbelievers, but those also who do what is against virtue; or [else he means] that the same fire shall receive them of the household also, which [receives] the adversaries. Then expressing its devouring nature, he says, as if giving it life, fiery indignation which shall devour the adversaries. For as a wild beast when irritated and very fierce and savage, would not rest till it could lay hold on some one and eat him up; so also that fire, like one goaded by indignation, whatever it can lay hold of does not let go, but devours and tears it to pieces.

3. Next he adds also the reason of the threat, that it is on good grounds, that it is just; for this contributes to confidence, when we show that it is just.
http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/240220.htm
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 05:12:55 PM by Ansgar »
Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite

Offline Stephen Levi

« Reply #153 on: May 24, 2014, 05:15:45 PM »
'I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over  ninety and nine just persons which need no repentance.'
What do they do when they see a sinner that had repented
like you, then returns to the same sin again?

Offline Ansgar

• Archon
« Reply #154 on: May 24, 2014, 05:18:23 PM »

21Then Peter came and said to Him, "Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me and I forgive him? Up to seven times?" 22Jesus said to him, "I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven.
Matthew 18:22
Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite

Offline Stephen Levi

« Reply #155 on: May 24, 2014, 05:20:19 PM »

21Then Peter came and said to Him, "Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me and I forgive him? Up to seven times?" 22Jesus said to him, "I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven.
When you commit sin against God by breaking His commandments, you are not sinning against your brother, you are sinning against God.. True or false?

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #156 on: May 24, 2014, 05:23:51 PM »
Are you unable to answer this?

Simply from this?

Offline methodius

• Elder
« Reply #157 on: May 24, 2014, 05:25:17 PM »
True, of course. But sin is sin; and therefore all sin is sinning against God.
kyrie eleison

Offline Ansgar

• Archon
« Reply #158 on: May 24, 2014, 05:32:52 PM »

When you commit sin against God by breaking His commandments, you are not sinning against your brother, you are sinning against God.. True or false?

and forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us,

-St Silouan the athonite

Offline Stephen Levi

« Reply #159 on: May 24, 2014, 05:37:10 PM »
Then stop using the verses from the bible trying to justify your willingness to sin. 

Offline Stephen Levi

« Reply #160 on: May 24, 2014, 05:37:57 PM »
Which is a sin.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #161 on: May 24, 2014, 05:39:50 PM »
Which is a sin.
I perceive a great troubleness within you. True or False?
God bless!

Offline Stephen Levi

« Reply #162 on: May 24, 2014, 05:40:10 PM »

Here let me help you see the Light more clearly.

and with what measure we mete, it shall be measured to us again.

Offline Stephen Levi

« Reply #163 on: May 24, 2014, 05:41:17 PM »
Which is a sin.
God told me to ask you how many times in your life has your perception
deceived you?

How many?

Offline Stephen Levi

« Reply #164 on: May 24, 2014, 05:41:50 PM »
Add 1 more time to that never ending list.

Offline Ansgar

• Archon
« Reply #165 on: May 24, 2014, 05:42:48 PM »
Then stop using the verses from the bible trying to justify your willingness to sin. 

He didn't try to justify anything.

-St Silouan the athonite

Offline Stephen Levi

« Reply #166 on: May 24, 2014, 05:43:30 PM »

That is not what God told me.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
  • Faith: GOAA
  • Jurisdiction: Antonis said I'm not Christian, so...
« Reply #167 on: May 24, 2014, 05:44:33 PM »

That is not what God told me.

???
My only weakness is, well, never mind

And you'll sleep, but they'll find you

Come back my dream into my arms, into my arms

London is drowning, and I live by the river

https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #168 on: May 24, 2014, 05:45:19 PM »
It seems the spirit guiding you is not the all-knowing God after all then!

Simply from this?

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #169 on: May 24, 2014, 05:45:59 PM »
Which is a sin.
deceived you?

How many?

how many times has yours led you to truth?

How many?
God bless!

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me St. Severus
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #170 on: May 24, 2014, 05:46:30 PM »
Revelation, Chapter 1, 4: John to the seven churches which are in Asia: Grace be unto you, and peace, from him which is, and which was, and which is to come; and from the seven Spirits which are before his throne;

Revelation, Chapter 3, 1: And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write; These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars; I know thy works, that thou hast a name that thou livest, and art dead.

Revelation, Chapter 4, 5: And out of the throne proceeded lightnings and thunderings and voices: and there were seven lamps of fire burning before the throne, which are the seven Spirits of God.

Revelation, Chapter 5, 6: And I beheld, and, lo, in the midst of the throne and of the four beasts, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent forth into all the earth.

I'll try again from the beginning. You have posted three passages from the Book of Revelation. You say that the Spirit inspired you to do so. This may be true, but what people are asking for, is the purpose, with which these passages have been posted. What are you trying to tell us with this? This is what people have been asking for.
Here is 1 purpose, to discuss the scriptures that I posted, with anyone who will do so with me. Do you need any more?

So you want to discuss the meaning of the passages? Great!
This was what people asked about in the beginning.

I cannot, at the moment, tell you what the Church teaches, concerning this issue, though other poster may be able to do so. However, I will try and see if I can find anything.

Of course, I would also like to hear your input.

+1!  Exactly!  When you post something, please give us an original purpose.  Don't just post something and expect us to figure out what you want.  Otherwise, that's trolling behavior, not welcoming behavior as part of the oc.net community.

When you posted the verses, it could be a couple of things, whether you're confused about them, or you want to know if there are any ancient commentaries about them, or if there was a dogmatic belief on 7 spirits as has been understood, etc.  But to quote four verses without stating your purpose can mean many things.  It can mean some Hindu sage who wishes to use verses and then teach us his own heresies throughout the thread.  And I'm not making that up.  We had a lot of unwelcome visitors of the forum trolling our site.
What do you know about The Spirit of Life? Tell me?

I know that I am not worthy of His grace, and yet He is ever-merciful to me.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Stephen Levi

« Reply #171 on: May 24, 2014, 05:46:57 PM »

Simply from this?
Says who? You?  Prove it, other than just giving us your unproven
opinion as your proof.

Offline Stephen Levi

« Reply #172 on: May 24, 2014, 05:48:16 PM »
Revelation, Chapter 1, 4: John to the seven churches which are in Asia: Grace be unto you, and peace, from him which is, and which was, and which is to come; and from the seven Spirits which are before his throne;

Revelation, Chapter 3, 1: And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write; These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars; I know thy works, that thou hast a name that thou livest, and art dead.

Revelation, Chapter 4, 5: And out of the throne proceeded lightnings and thunderings and voices: and there were seven lamps of fire burning before the throne, which are the seven Spirits of God.

Revelation, Chapter 5, 6: And I beheld, and, lo, in the midst of the throne and of the four beasts, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent forth into all the earth.

I'll try again from the beginning. You have posted three passages from the Book of Revelation. You say that the Spirit inspired you to do so. This may be true, but what people are asking for, is the purpose, with which these passages have been posted. What are you trying to tell us with this? This is what people have been asking for.
Here is 1 purpose, to discuss the scriptures that I posted, with anyone who will do so with me. Do you need any more?

I cannot, at the moment, tell you what the Church teaches, concerning this issue, though other poster may be able to do so. However, I will try and see if I can find anything.

+1!  Exactly!  When you post something, please give us an original purpose.  Don't just post something and expect us to figure out what you want.  Otherwise, that's trolling behavior, not welcoming behavior as part of the oc.net community.

When you posted the verses, it could be a couple of things, whether you're confused about them, or you want to know if there are any ancient commentaries about them, or if there was a dogmatic belief on 7 spirits as has been understood, etc.  But to quote four verses without stating your purpose can mean many things.  It can mean some Hindu sage who wishes to use verses and then teach us his own heresies throughout the thread.  And I'm not making that up.  We had a lot of unwelcome visitors of the forum trolling our site.

There are going to be countless of those in the lake of fire.

Offline Dan-Romania

• BANNED for rules violations
  • High Elder
« Reply #173 on: May 24, 2014, 05:48:46 PM »

Simply from this?
opinion as your proof.

You are the one who is making extraordinary claims, you need to prove it.
This user no longer posts here.

Offline Stephen Levi

« Reply #174 on: May 24, 2014, 05:49:06 PM »
Which is a sin.
deceived you?

How many?

How many?

I am never deceived.

Offline Stephen Levi

« Reply #175 on: May 24, 2014, 05:49:29 PM »
I walk in the Light.  I have the Light of Life.

Offline Stephen Levi

« Reply #176 on: May 24, 2014, 05:50:32 PM »

Simply from this?
opinion as your proof.

You are the one who is making extraordinary claims, you need to prove it.
I do not require you to believe anything I have said now do I?

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #177 on: May 24, 2014, 05:50:56 PM »
Which is a sin.
deceived you?

How many?

How many?

I am never deceived.
you claim omniscience? True or false?
God bless!

Offline Dan-Romania

• BANNED for rules violations
  • High Elder
« Reply #178 on: May 24, 2014, 05:52:10 PM »
I walk in the Light.  I have the Light of Life.

Or not :)
This user no longer posts here.

Offline Stephen Levi

« Reply #179 on: May 24, 2014, 05:52:15 PM »

There are going to be countless of those in the lake of fire.

By the way that is one of the points of this thread.  You do not know anything about the Spirits of God.