OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 10:53:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Closed Canon: What's the point?  (Read 1932 times) Average Rating: 0
Doubting Thomas
High Elder

Anglican (but not Episcopagan)

« on: April 12, 2005, 02:06:08 PM »

I was lurking on the Baptistboard today, and an advocate of sola Scriptura asked an interesting question: "What's the point of even having a closed canon of Scripture if the writings of fathers, creeds, councils are equally authoritative? Or conversely: "Since the teachings/writings of the Church since the completion of the NT are appealed to for correct doctrines, how can one say the canon is closed?"

How would the Orthodox respond to this? For historically, the canon was (more or less) closed at the end of the 4th century and/or beginning of the 5th. This particular Baptist seemed to argue, for instance, that since: (a)the Scripture doesn't specifically spell out a supernatural "change" in the elements of the bread and wine to the Body and Blood, and since (b)that belief is only found in writings of the fathers after the NT was written, that these post-NT writings really should have no bearing on interpreting the NT because: (1)the canon is confined only to the NT, and therefore: (2) any belief in"change" (as opposed to metaphor) is an addition to the faith and is thus a deviation from it. I've tried arguing with this guy that the REAL PRESENCE is the Biblical teaching, especially given the straight forward language involved (eg John 6, I Corinthians 10:16-17 and 11:23-30), but he would have none of it, alleging a gradual deviation of the true NT interpretation based on the fact that the word "change" doesn't appear in the NT and only appears in the 2nd century. Any thoughts about this particular allegation?

"My Lord and My God!"--Doubting Thomas, AD 33
icxn
Elder

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2005, 02:53:21 PM »

Any thoughts about this particular allegation?

Eh... thoughts? HmmGǪ how about a deal? You tell your friend that we wholeheartedly agree with him keeping the metaphorical Jesus and we will continue partaking of the real Jesus.

Howzat for a deal?
Doubting Thomas
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 03:40:46 PM »

Good point.

How about any thoughts regarding the significance of the "closed canon"? Anyone?

Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 04:00:23 PM »

Well, I'm not actually contributing to stuff during Lent, but I just wanted to say Happy Birthday to DT!   

:brew:

:wave2:

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Doubting Thomas
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005, 04:07:09 PM »

Well, I'm not actually contributing to stuff during Lent, but I just wanted to say Happy Birthday to DT!

:brew:

:wave2:
Heh,heh, heh...Thanks, brother! Smiley

lpap

I stopped participating in this forum.

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2005, 04:48:32 PM »

The Baptist is right by his own way of living his life.

He thinks that Christ has gone for now and He shall return in the future.

There is no need to ask the friends of Christ, the saints of Church, because by himself has made a pact with Christ to be personally informed about anything regarding the faith by the Holy Spirit. If he needs guidance all that he needs is just to pray and the Holy Spirit will kindly respond. That is the baptist's life.

He asks for an answer that is already given by the way he lives his life. He does not need anything and anyone. He is the canon himself.

Life is to live the life of others.
lellimore

OC.net

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2005, 04:49:31 PM »

You're friend's bit about the Eucharist is rather odd. If I handed you a piece of ice and said, "This is ice," would you assume I was speaking metaphorically because I didn't say, "This has been changed from liquid water to ice"? Really, I don't know how St. Paul could have been more clear when he said that people will be judged for eating without "discerning the body".
As to the closed canon, a lot of the Fathers talked about the sufficiency of Scripture to teach all necessary doctrine, but emphasized the need to discern the "pattern" beneath Scripture. St. Irenaios especially taught this, saying that the "rule of faith" was necessary as an interpretive principle.
troy

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2005, 05:22:22 PM »

Perhaps you could ask the Baptist why he accepts the NT Canon when the Church that established it also put forth the idea of the real presence in the Eucharist. You really can't have both-either you accept the authority of the Church to make the canon (and thus the Church should also have the authority to interpret it), or you start compiling your own canon.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2005, 05:52:55 PM »

Doubting Thomas,

I've said a lot of what I'm prepared to say on the canon at this thread. The only further points I will make are... First, the idea of a fixed canon has never, and will never, bring about doctrinal unity or agreement. Orthodoxy is the only group that still allows some degree of disagreement as to what constitutes the canon, and yet they are one of the most stable (if not THE most stable) doctrinally.  Second, the Scripture is sufficient, but as St. Vincent of Lerins says, because people disagree there must be something outside of Scripture to interpret it. Put another way, the Bible is a meaningless text, even if infallible, without an interpreter. And third, we don't create doctrines that contradict Scripture, and no one would say that the Fathers are on the same level as Scripture; we merely cite them as articulating what the early Christians believed, or at least were not against. We are in this way no different than every other Christian group; if the fellow disagrees you can ask him where the Bible says to talk about theology on the internet. Smiley
Doubting Thomas
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2005, 08:26:34 AM »

Perhaps you could ask the Baptist why he accepts the NT Canon when the Church that established it also put forth the idea of the real presence in the Eucharist. You really can't have both-either you accept the authority of the Church to make the canon (and thus the Church should also have the authority to interpret it), or you start compiling your own canon.
Very good point.

Doubting Thomas
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2005, 08:29:52 AM »

Doubting Thomas,

I've said a lot of what I'm prepared to say on the canon at this thread. The only further points I will make are... First, the idea of a fixed canon has never, and will never, bring about doctrinal unity or agreement. Orthodoxy is the only group that still allows some degree of disagreement as to what constitutes the canon, and yet they are one of the most stable (if not THE most stable) doctrinally. Second, the Scripture is sufficient, but as St. Vincent of Lerins says, because people disagree there must be something outside of Scripture to interpret it. Put another way, the Bible is a meaningless text, even if infallible, without an interpreter. And third, we don't create doctrines that contradict Scripture, and no one would say that the Fathers are on the same level as Scripture; we merely cite them as articulating what the early Christians believed, or at least were not against. We are in this way no different than every other Christian group; if the fellow disagrees you can ask him where the Bible says to talk about theology on the internet. Smiley
Good answers. (I can't believe I forgot about St. Vincent of Lerins!) I particularly like the statement about citing the fathers "as articulating what the early Christians believed, or at least were not against".

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: