OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 08:04:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gay Marriage...I don't care.  (Read 2834 times) Average Rating: 0
Hamartolos
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« on: May 20, 2014, 03:50:08 PM »

Seriously, I am sick of hearing about this BS.  They just made gay marriage legal in my state.  Great!  I could care less!!

Weather or not they get married does not matter to me, it doesn't change my opinion and doesn't change Church teaching.  Homosexuals are not the new civil rights leaders of our day and they are not heros.  Homosexuals not getting married and segregation are not on par, IMO.  I used to be very impartial about this but it's like this is all some people think about!  I can't believe the audacity some people have to argue that them not being able to marry someone is akin to being lynched or beaten to death.  But nobody says a word lest we offend a very small minority in this country.

Anyway, I hope the Supreme Court just rules it legal in all states so the news can obsess on something else for a while.  And another thing...Oh I got to go, CNN just broke in with major breaking news about Led Zepplin...(something any Led Zepplin fan heard about years ago)

Formerly known as "mctavix"
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 03:55:23 PM »

Not all homosexuals are for gay marriage. Otherwise I agree. It doesn't change the Church's teaching and I don't really care whether it happens here or not.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 03:55:34 PM by Alpo » Logged

scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 08:54:52 PM »

I don't care either if to people want I be together and call it "marriage' even If I believe and know they are only fooling themselves.  Go ahead, be happy.  The problem is that the gay rights supporters in this country are not happy with you bing indifferent or not caring less.  To them, that's equivalent to bigotry and homophobia.  To them, you must celebrate it and sanction it.  A live and let live attitude is unacceptable.  Though they claim that they respect divergence of opinion on the subject, their willingness and desire to use the power of the state to ensure conformity of thought makes me very wary of any chance they'll be happy with simply state recognition if their marriages.  They will use their political victories to try to enforce change in doctrines of churches that still refuse to marry gays. Mark my words, it will happen.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 09:06:07 PM »

My view exactly.

The problem is that the gay rights supporters in this country are not happy with you bing indifferent or not caring less.  To them, that's equivalent to bigotry and homophobia.  To them, you must celebrate it and sanction it.  A live and let live attitude is unacceptable.  Though they claim that they respect divergence of opinion on the subject, their willingness and desire to use the power of the state to ensure conformity of thought makes me very wary of any chance they'll be happy with simply state recognition if their marriages.  They will use their political victories to try to enforce change in doctrines of churches that still refuse to marry gays. Mark my words, it will happen.

I fear this as well.

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
kelly
UNSUBSCRIBED from the world
OC.net guru

laughter is the best medicine

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 09:20:12 PM »

I don't care either if to people want I be together and call it "marriage' even If I believe and know they are only fooling themselves.  Go ahead, be happy.  The problem is that the gay rights supporters in this country are not happy with you bing indifferent or not caring less.  To them, that's equivalent to bigotry and homophobia.  To them, you must celebrate it and sanction it.  A live and let live attitude is unacceptable.  Though they claim that they respect divergence of opinion on the subject, their willingness and desire to use the power of the state to ensure conformity of thought makes me very wary of any chance they'll be happy with simply state recognition if their marriages.  They will use their political victories to try to enforce change in doctrines of churches that still refuse to marry gays. Mark my words, it will happen.

Doesn't matter, at least not in the US. Thankfully we have a separation of church and state.

kelly and I spend all our free time collecting pictures of Russian monarchs.  Its a thing we do.
xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 09:22:13 PM »

Doesn't matter, at least not in the US. Thankfully we have a separation of church and state.

In principle. The Constitution doesn't uphold itself.

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 09:27:32 PM »

We supposedly have a right to privacy too.  Tell that to Donald Sterling.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 09:32:43 PM »

Seriously, I am sick of hearing about this BS.  They just made gay marriage legal in my state.  Great!  I could care less!!

Weather or not they get married does not matter to me, it doesn't change my opinion and doesn't change Church teaching.  Homosexuals are not the new civil rights leaders of our day and they are not heros.  Homosexuals not getting married and segregation are not on par, IMO.  I used to be very impartial about this but it's like this is all some people think about!  I can't believe the audacity some people have to argue that them not being able to marry someone is akin to being lynched or beaten to death.  But nobody says a word lest we offend a very small minority in this country.

Anyway, I hope the Supreme Court just rules it legal in all states so the news can obsess on something else for a while.  And another thing...Oh I got to go, CNN just broke in with major breaking news about Led Zepplin...(something any Led Zepplin fan heard about years ago)
If we were hermits, maybe it wouldn't matter. Maybe.

Take for instance now what is going on in CA: the "infertility" of homosexual "unions" has to be covered by medical insurance.  Otherwise it "wouldn't be equal protection."  If you think that won't affect your rate, or have other ripples rumbling through the rest of society, well....

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014, 10:26:15 PM »

Bob Jones University lost its tax exempt status as a religious institution because of its ban on inter-racial dating so there is precedent, not unlike how the ACA compels religiously affiliated institutions to violate their own conscience when it comes to providing for contraception and abortion services for employees.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy.

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2014, 10:29:44 PM »

If it were possible for a healthy society to exist under merely a civic government, I would not care either. However, a society, such as ours and most in the West, without also a meaningful Church government is fundamentally unhealthy -- imbalanced, and deranged -- and gay marriage is one symptom of that.

In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
kelly
UNSUBSCRIBED from the world
OC.net guru

laughter is the best medicine

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2014, 10:37:46 PM »

If it were possible for a healthy society to exist under merely a civic government, I would not care either. However, a society, such as ours and most in the West, without also a meaningful Church government is fundamentally unhealthy -- imbalanced, and deranged -- and gay marriage is one symptom of that.

kelly and I spend all our free time collecting pictures of Russian monarchs.  Its a thing we do.
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2014, 11:30:33 PM »

I thought it was his girlfriend who leaked his conversation to the press, not a governmental body. But your self-serving post is noted.

Proverbs 22:7
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2014, 11:42:02 PM »

Great!  I could care less!!

You care so little that you've started an internet thread about it?

BTW...if you could care less, it means that you do care. If you couldn't care less, then that would make sense.
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: +

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2014, 11:45:05 PM »

The problem is that the gay rights supporters in this country are not happy with you bing indifferent or not caring less.  To them, that's equivalent to bigotry and homophobia.  To them, you must celebrate it and sanction it.  A live and let live attitude is unacceptable. 

It sounds like you are speaking of some conspiratorial "gay agenda" here. "They" are not getting together underground and planning ways to change church doctrine. Your indifference is very welcome to them, I suspect, as it is better than your overt opposition. I suspect that "live and let live" is exactly what most gays are looking for in regards to gay marriage.

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
stavros_388
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2014, 11:46:18 PM »

Perhaps you would prefer, say, an Islamic theocracy?

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2014, 11:56:53 PM »

I hope we do not end up like Sodom and Gomorrah on account of all the faggies and lesbians running around.
stavros_388
OC.net guru

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2014, 12:04:02 AM »

I hope we do not end up like Sodom and Gomorrah on account of all the faggies and lesbians running around.
The next Sodom and Gomorrah event might just be on account of all the cold hearted and self righteous cynics... based on my reading of Jesus, at least.

Rambam
High Elder

Faith: Check
Jurisdiction: I'm color blind

"If you like your Ebola, you can keep your Ebola."

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2014, 12:10:50 AM »

Holy cow! Be careful what you say, lest you find yourself excommunicated for 'hate speech.'

Gamliel
Archon

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2014, 12:13:00 AM »

The next Sodom and Gomorrah event might just be on account of all the cold hearted and self righteous cynics... based on my reading of Jesus, at least.
He may add that to the faggies and lesbians also.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2014, 12:21:35 AM »

Those self righteous cynics...you mean the ones who call opposition to the redefinition of marriage "homophobia"?

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2014, 12:22:33 AM »

It would last longer...and be able to function as a society.

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2014, 12:23:40 AM »

The problem is that the gay rights supporters in this country are not happy with you bing indifferent or not caring less.  To them, that's equivalent to bigotry and homophobia.  To them, you must celebrate it and sanction it.  A live and let live attitude is unacceptable. 

It sounds like you are speaking of some conspiratorial "gay agenda" here. "They" are not getting together underground and planning ways to change church doctrine. Your indifference is very welcome to them, I suspect, as it is better than your overt opposition. I suspect that "live and let live" is exactly what most gays are looking for in regards to gay marriage.
sort of like moderate Muslims among the Islamists.

Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2014, 12:25:34 AM »

Sad day when we are forced to choose between secularism and Islam. No, what I "would prefer" is the Church to assume its just role beside the State, governing the souls that (rightly perceived) really are society. It is the just role of the State to be guardian, certainly; but only guarding the sheep is fatal neglect. It is the role of the Church to lead and heal us, and that too is government, which deserves and requires an authority equal to the State's. The West is suffering, schizophrenic and starving, because it has for so long rejected this truth.

In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2014, 12:26:22 AM »

I don't care either if to people want I be together and call it "marriage' even If I believe and know they are only fooling themselves.  Go ahead, be happy.  The problem is that the gay rights supporters in this country are not happy with you bing indifferent or not caring less.  To them, that's equivalent to bigotry and homophobia.  To them, you must celebrate it and sanction it.  A live and let live attitude is unacceptable.  Though they claim that they respect divergence of opinion on the subject, their willingness and desire to use the power of the state to ensure conformity of thought makes me very wary of any chance they'll be happy with simply state recognition if their marriages. They will use their political victories to try to enforce change in doctrines of churches that still refuse to marry gays. Mark my words, it will happen.

We supposedly have a right to privacy too.  Tell that to Donald Sterling.
I thought it was his girlfriend who leaked his conversation to the press, not a governmental body. But your self-serving post is noted.
doesn't matter who gathers the poisonous fruit.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fruit_of_the_poisonous_tree
(did you by chance ever see "Bonfire of the Vanities"?
but your self serving hypocrisy is noted.

I don't have a sports team, do not watch sports, couldn't care less if blacks or anyone else goes to games-so how was my post serving me?  No one seems to be upset about the fact he was cheating on his wife-but since he was doing that out in the open, that would be fruit just lying around on the ground.  Rotting.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 12:31:15 AM by ialmisry » Logged

stavros_388
OC.net guru

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2014, 12:34:32 AM »

Please feel free to join a functional theocratic society. Sudan? Nigeria, perhaps? I prefer separation of religion and state, myself.

Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2014, 12:36:13 AM »

You might want to revisit your understanding of that event:

Quote from: Ezekiel 16:49
Behold, this was the iniquity of thy sister Sodom, pride, fulness of bread, and abundance of idleness was in her and in her daughters, neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy.

πλὴν τοῦτο τὸ ἀνόμημα Σοδομων τῆς ἀδελφῆς σου ὑπερηφανία ἐν πλησμονῇ ἄρτων καὶ ἐν εὐθηνίᾳ οἴνου ἐσπατάλων αὐτὴ καὶ αἱ θυγατέρες αὐτῆς τοῦτο ὑπῆρχεν αὐτῇ καὶ ταῖς θυγατράσιν αὐτῆς καὶ χεῖρα πτωχοῦ καὶ πένητος οὐκ ἀντελαμβάνοντο

Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2014, 12:38:34 AM »

HOW MATURE OF YOU.

xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2014, 12:40:23 AM »

I don't care either if to people want I be together and call it "marriage' even If I believe and know they are only fooling themselves.  Go ahead, be happy.  The problem is that the gay rights supporters in this country are not happy with you bing indifferent or not caring less.  To them, that's equivalent to bigotry and homophobia.  To them, you must celebrate it and sanction it.  A live and let live attitude is unacceptable.  Though they claim that they respect divergence of opinion on the subject, their willingness and desire to use the power of the state to ensure conformity of thought makes me very wary of any chance they'll be happy with simply state recognition if their marriages. They will use their political victories to try to enforce change in doctrines of churches that still refuse to marry gays. Mark my words, it will happen.

Just because the govt. didn't do it doesn't mean they couldn't have. They certainly have the means. The US government violates it's own laws so often it's not even surprising anymore.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 12:45:50 AM by xOrthodox4Christx » Logged

Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2014, 12:43:24 AM »

I don't care either if to people want I be together and call it "marriage' even If I believe and know they are only fooling themselves.  Go ahead, be happy.  The problem is that the gay rights supporters in this country are not happy with you bing indifferent or not caring less.  To them, that's equivalent to bigotry and homophobia.  To them, you must celebrate it and sanction it.  A live and let live attitude is unacceptable.  Though they claim that they respect divergence of opinion on the subject, their willingness and desire to use the power of the state to ensure conformity of thought makes me very wary of any chance they'll be happy with simply state recognition if their marriages. They will use their political victories to try to enforce change in doctrines of churches that still refuse to marry gays. Mark my words, it will happen.

I don't have a sports team, do not watch sports, couldn't care less if blacks or anyone else goes to games-so how was my post serving me?  No one seems to be upset about the fact he was cheating on his wife-but since he was doing that out in the open, that would be fruit just lying around on the ground.  Rotting.
The "fruit...tree" doctrine only applies to law enforcement and gov't agenicies, not private individuls.

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2014, 12:45:44 AM »

HOW MATURE OF YOU.

It's funny reading this comment next to one of these:

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2014, 12:46:19 AM »

Please feel free to join a functional theocratic society. Sudan? Nigeria, perhaps? I prefer separation of religion and state, myself.
Maybe if Russia goes a tad more in theocratic/symphonic direction.

They used to have total separation of church and state in Mexico.  I guess you missed your chance.

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2014, 12:47:00 AM »

HOW MATURE OF YOU.

It's funny reading this comment next to one of these:

"Do as I say, not as I do" and all that.

NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2014, 12:47:05 AM »

"Behold, this was the guilt of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride, excess of food, and prosperous ease, but did not aid the poor and needy."

Ezekiel I know, but who are you?

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2014, 12:48:17 AM »

"Behold, this was the guilt of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride, excess of food, and prosperous ease, but did not aid the poor and needy."

Ezekiel I know, but who are you?

Moses?

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2014, 12:49:02 AM »

The "fruit...tree" doctrine only applies to law enforcement and gov't agenicies, not private individuls.
I'm not sure about the CA law, but it was said to be like the old statute in IL, which did apply to private individuals, under penalty of criminal prosecution.

I recall that there was some similar law that Clinton was trying to use to get Linda Tripp silenced in MD.

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2014, 12:52:17 AM »

I don't care either if to people want I be together and call it "marriage' even If I believe and know they are only fooling themselves.  Go ahead, be happy.  The problem is that the gay rights supporters in this country are not happy with you bing indifferent or not caring less.  To them, that's equivalent to bigotry and homophobia.  To them, you must celebrate it and sanction it.  A live and let live attitude is unacceptable.  Though they claim that they respect divergence of opinion on the subject, their willingness and desire to use the power of the state to ensure conformity of thought makes me very wary of any chance they'll be happy with simply state recognition if their marriages. They will use their political victories to try to enforce change in doctrines of churches that still refuse to marry gays. Mark my words, it will happen.

Just because the govt. didn't do it doesn't mean they couldn't have. They certainly have the means. The US government violates it's own laws so often it's not even surprising anymore.
it's not like the government is listening in

Gamliel
Archon

« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2014, 12:59:03 AM »

Behold, this was the iniquity of thy sister Sodom, pride, fulness of bread, and abundance of idleness was in her and in her daughters, neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy.

πλὴν τοῦτο τὸ ἀνόμημα Σοδομων τῆς ἀδελφῆς σου ὑπερηφανία ἐν πλησμονῇ ἄρτων καὶ ἐν εὐθηνίᾳ οἴνου ἐσπατάλων αὐτὴ καὶ αἱ θυγατέρες αὐτῆς τοῦτο ὑπῆρχεν αὐτῇ καὶ ταῖς θυγατράσιν αὐτῆς καὶ χεῖρα πτωχοῦ καὶ πένητος οὐκ ἀντελαμβάνοντο
Ezekiel 16:50:"They were haughty and did detestable things before me. Therefore I did away with them as you have seen." NIV.     
 καὶ ἐμεγαλαύχουν καὶ ἐποίησαν ἀνομήματα ἐνώπιόν μου καὶ ἐξῆρα αὐτάς καθὼς εἶδον."
Gamliel
Archon

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2014, 12:59:52 AM »

-- LXX.

Ezekiel 16:50:"They were haughty and did detestable things before me. Therefore I did away with them as you have seen." NIV.    
 καὶ ἐμεγαλαύχουν καὶ ἐποίησαν ἀνομήματα ἐνώπιόν μου καὶ ἐξῆρα αὐτάς καθὼς εἶδον."
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 01:03:18 AM by Gamliel » Logged
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2014, 01:00:55 AM »

I'm gonna go with the abominations God named, specifically. You can go with whatever you came up with, though. Good luck.

if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2014, 01:07:13 AM »

Sad day when we are forced to choose between secularism and Islam. No, what I "would prefer" is the Church to assume its just role beside the State, governing the souls that (rightly perceived) really are society. It is the just role of the State to be guardian, certainly; but only guarding the sheep is fatal neglect. It is the role of the Church to lead and heal us, and that too is government, which deserves and requires an authority equal to the State's. The West is suffering, schizophrenic and starving, because it has for so long rejected this truth.

I do think that a (somewhat restrained) symbiotic relationship between Church and state is ideal and for the best, but I'm not so sure about the "equal authority" language.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2014, 01:11:52 AM »

I'm gonna go with the abominations God named, specifically. You can go with whatever you came up with, though. Good luck.
"just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the cities around them, since they in the same way as these indulged in gross immorality and went after strange flesh, are exhibited as an example in undergoing the punishment of eternal fire. Yet in the same way these men, also by dreaming, defile the flesh, and reject authority"-Jude.

Gamliel
Archon

« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2014, 01:23:55 AM »

"just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the cities around them, since they in the same way as these indulged in gross immorality and went after strange flesh, are exhibited as an example in undergoing the punishment of eternal fire. Yet in the same way these men, also by dreaming, defile the flesh, and reject authority"-Jude.
+++
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2014, 01:43:02 AM »

I don't think St. Jude was exegeting the passage in question.

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2014, 01:45:03 AM »

I don't think St. Jude was exegeting the passage in question.

Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2014, 02:27:41 AM »

There's no question that in Genesis Sodom's citizens attempted male-on-male rape. Ezekiel and Jude don't contradict each other, then; but Ezekiel prophesying in the Holy Spirit puts that incident in its proper light, as a symptom of a culture barren of justice, temperance, and love. Only the Church can husband a culture abundant in such virtues.

And the concept of a Church co-regnant with a State: surely this is basic Orthodoxy?

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: