OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 03:12:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Get in line for the "Mark of the beast"  (Read 1514 times) Average Rating: 0
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« on: May 18, 2010, 01:10:10 PM »

Is it technology with nothing to worry about or is it a serious risk to Christians?

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/05/14/radio-frequency-rfid-implant/

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 01:51:52 PM »

Is it technology with nothing to worry about or is it a serious risk to Christians?

It's something to be concerned about, but interpreting a first century text as a warning against RFID tags seems a little paranoid. I would be far more concerned about the potential for violations of civil liberties. If and when these tags are used on humans, the person in question should have complete control over them, with the ability to both monitor and regulate access to the tags and to turn them off altogether. There should also be zero tolerance for any government tracking, for any reason whatsoever, even to prevent a crime or terrorist attack. But, as long as basic privacy concerns are met, RFID tags represent the first step in what could be a great advancement for humanity. A RFID tag that can open doors or carry medical information may not be that big of a deal, probably not something people are going to cash out their savings to run and get. But what about a phone with an implanted speaker and earpiece...now your talking about something I might want. Some research is going on that would allow us to superimpose an electronic projection (a computer monitor, perhaps?) on the retina, I know something like that would eventually take off.

Technologically, this is nothing but a collection of transistors: copper, silicon, etc. It would be absurd to think there's something wrong with these tags in and of themselves, but we must always be on the guard against those who would do anything to increase their power at the expense of human liberty.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 02:14:06 PM »

"We can rebuild him... We have the technology."  laugh

It's something to be concerned about, but interpreting a first century text as a warning against RFID tags seems a little paranoid. I would be far more concerned about the potential for violations of civil liberties. If and when these tags are used on humans, the person in question should have complete control over them, with the ability to both monitor and regulate access to the tags and to turn them off altogether. There should also be zero tolerance for any government tracking, for any reason whatsoever, even to prevent a crime or terrorist attack. But, as long as basic privacy concerns are met, RFID tags represent the first step in what could be a great advancement for humanity. A RFID tag that can open doors or carry medical information may not be that big of a deal, probably not something people are going to cash out their savings to run and get. But what about a phone with an implanted speaker and earpiece...now your talking about something I might want. Some research is going on that would allow us to superimpose an electronic projection (a computer monitor, perhaps?) on the retina, I know something like that would eventually take off.

Technologically, this is nothing but a collection of transistors: copper, silicon, etc. It would be absurd to think there's something wrong with these tags in and of themselves, but we must always be on the guard against those who would do anything to increase their power at the expense of human liberty.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 02:28:13 PM »

"We can rebuild him... We have the technology."  laugh
Until eventually you end up with something like this:
laugh
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 02:28:33 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 06:23:09 PM »

I'll agree with you to a certain extent. Big government finds ways of implementing certain ideas that sound enticing at first but through progression and time seem over intrusive. Take Social security for instance. It's original intent is to fund workers retirements which is a great idea. Certain companies, creditors and credit report agencies through the freedom act. Found ways to use the system as a harness to control money and credit for every individual in America and beyond.  Freedom can sometimes work against you. Could you imagine creditors with this type of power?

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 07:57:33 PM »

Wow! Technology is the mark of the beast! I just now heard that theory, which no one has ever proposed before! It's got to be absolutely true!!!!!!1!!!1111!

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 11:32:18 PM »

Wow! Technology is the mark of the beast! I just now heard that theory, which no one has ever proposed before! It's got to be absolutely true!!!!!!1!!!1111!
Not technology, but the economy.

Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 12:15:45 AM »

I don't see what good it could do to implant people with chips. It is pointless and I think it will evolve into something bad that would violate people's rights.
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 12:21:04 AM »

I don't see what good it could do to implant people with chips. It is pointless and I think it will evolve into something bad that would violate people's rights.
Are you speaking only of RFID tags, or any chip?  Since there are countless medical innovations-in-waiting that revolve around the integrating of chips or nanotechnology into the body.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 12:23:31 AM »

Are you speaking only of RFID tags, or any chip?  Since there are countless medical innovations-in-waiting that revolve around the integrating of chips or nanotechnology into the body.

Any chip really. They can be used for medical or other uses as well. Its the other uses that I'm most weary of. It can enable the government to track people and know where people are at all times which I see as a problem.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 12:24:35 AM by Andrew21091 » Logged
Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 12:26:00 AM »

Any chip really. They can be used for medical or other uses as well. Its the other uses that I'm most weary of.

Which is why Open Technology and Open Source software are such important movements.  Smiley

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 12:27:35 AM »

I'm on this forum so much I feel like I'm already half digital.
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 12:30:21 AM »

Any chip really. They can be used for medical or other uses as well. Its the other uses that I'm most weary of.

Which is why Open Technology and Open Source software are such important movements.  Smiley

Sorry for the ignorance, but what do these organizations do?

I'm not up to speed on my technological knowledge (unless of course it is technology from Star Wars which I probably know a little too much about).  Grin
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 12:36:54 AM »

I'm on this forum so much I feel like I'm already half digital.

I know what you mean. Thats why I'm not really too excited about technological "achievements." I think with too much pointless technology, we in the end will sacrifice our humanity to machines. How much of my life has already been wasted on the internet, TV, video games, etc.? Too much. What am I still doing here? I'm not really sure.
Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2010, 12:41:48 AM »

Which is why Open Technology and Open Source software are such important movements.  Smiley

I'm not up to speed on my technological knowledge (unless of course it is technology from Star Wars which I probably know a little too much about).  Grin

They are philosophies/methodologies (though there are some corporation built around it, like the Free Software Foundation), which state that the end-user must have complete access to the source code or schematics of a piece of technology or software.  Not only can one dig into and modify all aspects of the piece of software/technology, but they can also distribute their modifications freely.

Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2010, 12:47:26 AM »

Which is why Open Technology and Open Source software are such important movements.  Smiley

I'm not up to speed on my technological knowledge (unless of course it is technology from Star Wars which I probably know a little too much about).  Grin

They are philosophies/methodologies (though there are some corporation built around it, like the Free Software Foundation), which state that the end-user must have complete access to the source code or schematics of a piece of technology or software.  Not only can one dig into and modify all aspects of the piece of software/technology, but they can also distribute their modifications freely.

Ok, thanks for explaining that to me.  Smiley Seems like a good idea.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2010, 12:24:12 PM »

Hear, hear! Some things are simply too important to allow proprietary systems to control.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: