OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 25, 2014, 07:12:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Episcopal Funerals (and the Orthodox view on Death)  (Read 2977 times) Average Rating: 0
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« on: April 11, 2005, 10:54:36 PM »

*(I would suppose that this comment could go in a number of fora; but since the Liturgy forum doesn't get enough "action" I thought I would put it here).

I find it interesting that the American views and stigmas about death and dying have seeped into Orthodoxy; one example is how they have changed the way that we do Episcopal Funerals.  The (at least recent) Orthodox tradition is to fully vest the hierarch (including mitre and staff) and sit him at the throne during the Trisagion, Liturgy, and funeral.  Can you imagine the reaction of Americans to a corpse being placed in a chair dressed in Orthodox Episcopal-wear?  They would think we were nuts, out of touch, or whatever.....

But tonight, as normally happens around someone's death, an Orthodox priest provides perspective as to why we don't see things that way (this time coming from Fr. Nicholas Triantafilou, president of Holy Cross) - the West sees the cessation of breath as the end of Life and the beginning of Death; but the moment when the heart stops is really just a translation into a new part of Life, the part of Life that we have always been hoping for, preparing for... When we bury a hierarch, we pray that God allow him to take up in Heaven the position he had on Earth - standing in front of God's altar, praying for the salvation of the people.  We pray that he be granted the honor of continuing a ministry that even the Angels are in awe of....

So there's my two cents; I'd like to hear others' perspectives on the changes in the way we do funerals (not just Episcopal funerals; and let's not limit ourselves to the funeral proper, but also to the Trisagion, the mourning cycle, etc.) and the culture clash we see regarding death.

And if this has been covered previously in a thread - my apologies for being (relatively) new to the Board.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Elpidophoros
Elder

Faith: OX

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 04:23:52 PM »

The (at least recent) Orthodox tradition is to fully vest the hierarch (including mitre and staff) and sit him at the throne during the Trisagion, Liturgy, and funeral.

Yes,the tradition says to sit the departed bishop in a throne and bury him in the sitting position....but in fact I only have seen some old calenarists and Non-Chalcedonians did this.Any one ever observed such practise in a canonical EO church recently??

(Derogatory word referencing Oriental Orthodox replaced with something more appropriate.)
 You're being placed on two-week Warning status for calling Oriental Orthodox (i.e. Copts, Armenians, Ethiopians, etc.) "Monophysites," a name they clearly reject, and which we do not permit to be used in the public fora on this site.  It is possible to disagree with their theology, historical positions, etc. without using a derogatory name to refer to them.  This warning does not affect your ability to post or send messages.

If you feel that this warning is in error, please PM FrChris, the Forum Administrator.

- Cleveland, Global Moderator
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 02:08:39 AM by Salpy » Logged
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 04:42:58 PM »

The (at least recent) Orthodox tradition is to fully vest the hierarch (including mitre and staff) and sit him at the throne during the Trisagion, Liturgy, and funeral.

Yes,the tradition says to sit the departed bishop in a throne and bury him in the sitting position....but in fact I only have seen some canonical Orthodox who follow Orthodox tradition old calenarists and  monophysites did this.Any one ever observed such practise in a modernist/tradition-changing canonical EO church recently??

Post edit to reflect accuracy...those "uncanonical" Old Calendarists proved once again to be the ones that actually are being "canonical" in their observance...! Smiley

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 04:45:19 PM »

To change an Orthodox funeral custom in favor of American afraid-of-death culture is an atrocity.

Among Hispanic Catholics and some Appalachian Protestants there is a final kiss goodbye, etc.  This is so much better than "visitation" where you sit around and chat nice pleasantries while Uncle Ned is either closed up or sitting nicely in his casket "looking just like he is asleep" awwwww....  (gag)

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 06:03:03 PM »

This is so much better than "visitation" where you sit around and chat nice pleasantries while Uncle Ned is either closed up or sitting nicely in his casket "looking just like he is asleep" awwwww....  (gag)

I have two of these in the past few years with some relatives.  They were well meaning, but I find this rather "skipping" of the mourning phase a bit troubling.  The "memorial service" had really nothing to do with a funeral and was just nice smiley pleasantries and "praises", along with people telling feel-good memory stories to reminisce.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 01:42:08 AM »

Wow, some of our folks here are great at bringing up old threads - I had completely forgotten about this one (and, so it seems, so had everyone else until yesterday!).

The above was posted within a few days of Archbishop IAKOVOS' funeral at HC.  They buried him in full vestments, but did not have him sitting at the throne for Liturgy or the Trisagion at the School (I don't know what they did in NY), which is (I think) the reason why I wrote the piece (I was a bit disappointed).    They did, however, leave him in a position in the center of the Church where all could venerate the Gospel and kiss his right hand (which I have seen at each Priest's funeral I have attended).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 02:17:25 AM »

I have been told that sitting the departed Bishop in his throne is reserved only for Patriarchs. The person telling me this also related that you have to tie the Bishop very tightly to the chair because they tend to fall out.

I should mention the person who told me this is a bishop who wants a very quick and simple funeral.

Joseph
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 02:23:16 AM »

I have been told that sitting the departed Bishop in his throne is reserved only for Patriarchs. The person telling me this also related that you have to tie the Bishop very tightly to the chair because they tend to fall out.

I should mention the person who told me this is a bishop who wants a very quick and simple funeral. 

Very interesting...

---------------------
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 02:40:27 AM »

Funeral of Indian Orthodox bishop, H.G. Dr. Thomas Mar Makarios:

http://mosc.in/index.php?option=com_zoom&Itemid=204&catid=51

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,14222.0.html

Tags: funeral practices death and dying bishops 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: