OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 04:28:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue Screen of Death  (Read 1530 times) Average Rating: 0
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« on: May 16, 2014, 10:33:40 AM »

I have an HP laptop.  It's only 2 or 3 years old.

It had gotten the "blue" screen a few times last year.  However, lately it's been running like a charm.

It's a fairly good machine.

However, last night I got a series of updates, including a Norton update, as well as an Adobe update....all at once.

This morning, I booted up just fine...and stepped away from the machine to get the phone...and when I returned after a few minutes I was met with the blue screen.  Blood turned to ice....heart almost stopped....

I quickly powered it down and rebooted.

Machine took a while, but, came back up.  I started in as "normal" not in safe mode, etc.

I hooked up my external hard drive and started backing up projects I had worked on since my last backup of last week.

Mid backup.....pause....blue screen.

Ahhhh!

So...besides taking it to Best Buy or some place with a bunch of geeks....how can I figure out what is going on with my machine?

I've just lost my job....I hardly have extra $100's lying around to get a new computer.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 10:42:00 AM »

Have you tried rebooting in safe mode and backing up that way?

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 11:08:36 AM »

I was able to reboot, and complete the backup....however, blue screens worry me.

...I just don't know "how" worried I should be.

The blue screen mentions the issue is with igdpmd64.sys ....just as the memory dump commences.

It seems this is a common issue, unfortunately, when Windows Update KB2670838 is applied.  Some folks even mention it becoming an issue with this update, once Norton is updated...well, my Norton just updated yesterday.  Grumble...grumble.

Gotta love technology.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 11:12:55 AM »

I would get rid of Norton then and use something like Avast that has a really great free option.

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 11:15:14 AM »

I suggest you get rid of Norton. It's a resource hog, and massively overpriced for what it delivers. Avira, even in its free version, without upgrading to the paid suite, blends seamlessly with the rest and is as safe as someone who has to deal with occasionally dodgy material could wish for.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 11:32:50 AM »

Really?

Wow.  I'll have to give it a try.

Thanks!

—St. Isaac of Syria
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 12:00:59 PM »

Hi Liza

I like the HP forums to solve problems like this. Your description matches this:
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Lockups-Freezes-Hangs/blue-screen-on-pavilion-dv7-igdpmd64-sys/td-p/3108537/page/3

It is not limited to this particular laptop, but to the video card and an incompatibility to a Windows update.

You will need to check which laptop you have and then get the fix from Microsoft:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2834140/en-us

I am also having problems. My system got corrupted after a Windows Update two days ago that was not repairable. I just reformatted the hard drive with a disk image made in 10/2013 followed by an incremental backup from 4/2014 but not all of the files got restored, but I also copied my most essential files on a USB stick a week ago.

Now I have to go through a bunch of sequential windows/other programs updates.

I still have 6 days left of warranty on my laptop, but this sort of thing is not covered.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 01:08:50 PM »

Also don't use Outlook and staying away from Explorer is not a bad idea either.
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2014, 01:24:55 PM »

Hi Liza

I like the HP forums to solve problems like this. Your description matches this:
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Lockups-Freezes-Hangs/blue-screen-on-pavilion-dv7-igdpmd64-sys/td-p/3108537/page/3

It is not limited to this particular laptop, but to the video card and an incompatibility to a Windows update.

You will need to check which laptop you have and then get the fix from Microsoft:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2834140/en-us

I am also having problems. My system got corrupted after a Windows Update two days ago that was not repairable. I just reformatted the hard drive with a disk image made in 10/2013 followed by an incremental backup from 4/2014 but not all of the files got restored, but I also copied my most essential files on a USB stick a week ago.

Now I have to go through a bunch of sequential windows/other programs updates.

I still have 6 days left of warranty on my laptop, but this sort of thing is not covered.

Yeah...I had read something similar and had just uninstalled KB2670838 but, not yet rebooted...when I walked away and came back an hour later, I went to refresh this site and ba boom...blue screen number 3 today.

I am hoping that perhaps with the reboot the removal of KB2670838 will solve the issue.

I hope your PC is fixed and working like a charm...although it is a pain to reinstall everything....I'm glad you at least backed up your files.

—St. Isaac of Syria
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas un Poirot

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 01:32:16 PM »

Blood turned to ice....heart almost stopped....

Most of the time software, not hardware is to blame. So there's no need to stress.

Have you checked what the specific error message is? Write it down and look it up on another computer. Or share it with us and perhaps one of us knows something.

What happens when you boot up in safe mode? What happens when you boot up without an internet connection?

"Eheu fugaces, Postume, Postume,
labuntur anni"
-Horace, Odes II:14
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2014, 01:54:37 PM »

However, last night I got a series of updates, including a Norton update, as well as an Adobe update....all at once.

System Restore would be the first thing to try. (It is irreversible if done in Safe Mode.) If that resolves the problem, then allow each piece of software to fully update and restart your computer before permitting the next update to begin.

I would get rid of Norton

I suggest you get rid of Norton.

Use the Norton Removal Tool to do this.
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2014, 01:56:15 PM »

I always thought Norton was good.

I had McAfee at work...and that really drained the system resources....that's why I went with Norton.

—St. Isaac of Syria
xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2014, 02:01:34 PM »

I have Kaspersky.

It's good because you can adjust security settings to be as strict as you want (or in my case, need). My computer is locked up, it needs my permission for almost anything. It cannot download things I am not aware of without my permission.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 02:02:03 PM by xOrthodox4Christx » Logged

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2014, 06:23:34 PM »

(semi-joking...comic relief)

I have a Mac  Grin   angel

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2014, 06:29:12 PM »

Ya ya ya!  Wink

...I have an old iPhone...does that count?

—St. Isaac of Syria
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2014, 06:30:19 PM »

Ya ya ya!  Wink

...I have an old iPhone...does that count?

A little bit  Cool

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: