OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 05:12:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: About 100 Brazilians join the Syriac Orthodox Church  (Read 548 times) Average Rating: 0
dhinuus
Elder

« on: May 15, 2014, 12:24:14 PM »

About One Hundred Brazilians joined the Syriac Orthodox Church. Most of them were receiving by Chrismation. Mor Titos Paulo Metropolitan of Brazil lead the services.

Photos

NULL
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 12:31:26 PM »

Where in Brazil was this?

Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 12:38:12 PM »

I wonder if they are of Lebanese/Syrian ancestry?  I read recently that around 5% or so of South Americans are of Middle Eastern ancestry, predominantly of the Christian sort.
dhinuus
Elder

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 12:39:01 PM »

Where in Brazil was this?
Berna

NULL
dhinuus
Elder

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 12:40:33 PM »

One more pic of the Altar.... I wonder if the RC imagery of the Sacred Heart will stay ?

NULL
DeniseDenise
Tiredness personified
Archon

Faith: Catechumen no more!
Jurisdiction: OCA

What curls do on a bad hair day!

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 12:42:04 PM »

There is indeed a fairly large historical Lebanese population in Brazil.

One of my favorite Brazilian snacky foods is actually Kibbe.... laugh

Wiki gives you the -brief- version

The population of Brazil of either full or partial Lebanese descent is estimated at between 7 to 10 million people, which is most likely a gross over-estimation (see below for numbers of immigrants at the height of Lebanese migration to Brazil). This number of descendants is larger than the population in Lebanon. Immigration of the Lebanese (and Syrians) to Brazil started in the late 19th century, most of them coming from Lebanon and later from Syria. The immigration to Brazil grew further in the 20th century, and was concentrated in the state of São Paulo, but also extended to Minas Gerais, Goiás, Rio de Janeiro and other parts of Brazil.

Between 1884-1933 130,000 Lebanese people immigrated to Brazil. 65% of them were Catholics (Maronite Catholics and Greek Melkite Catholics), 20% were Greek Orthodox and 15% were Muslims (Shia, Sunni and Druze). According to French Consulate reports from that time[2], Lebanese/ Syrian immigrants in São Paulo and Santos were 130,000, in Pará 20,000, Rio de Janeiro 15,000, Rio Grande do Sul 14,000 and in Bahia 12,000. During the Lebanese Civil War 32,000 Lebanese people immigrated to Brazil.

Lebanese culture has influenced many aspects of Brazil's culture. In big towns of Brazil it is easy to find restaurants of Lebanese food, and dishes, such as sfiha ("esfiha"), hummus, kibbeh ("quibe"), tahina, tabbouleh ("tabule") and halwa are very well known among Brazilians.

Please secure your own oxygen mask before assisting other passengers.
Orest
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 01:14:18 PM »

This seems more believable - 100 Brazilians with pictures of clergy - than the rumours of 200,000 converts in the past.
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 01:22:35 PM »

I'll try to follow up on that to get more details.

My guess is that they are not of Middle-Eastern ancestry. There is much interest into traditional forms of Christianity.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 01:29:40 PM by Fabio Leite » Logged

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 01:30:46 PM »

I wonder if they were RC or a vagante group converting to the Syriac Orthodox Church?

Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 01:31:30 PM »

I wonder if they were RC or a vagante group converting to the Syriac Orthodox Church?

Don't dig... Wink

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 01:33:24 PM »

Don't dig... Wink

I got a shovel...not just carrying it around for my health. Cheesy

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 02:24:47 PM »

There is much interest into traditional forms of Christianity.

Huh?  I've been told that the whole Brazil is converting to Pentecostalism or something to that effect.

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 02:27:05 PM »

Huh?  I've been told that the whole Brazil is converting to Pentecostalism or something to that effect.

Enough for 100 people to be chrismated at one time.

Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Chalcedonian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2014, 02:35:14 PM »

I saw this on Facebook, either way it's good news.
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2014, 03:08:30 PM »

100 people is statistically irrelevant. There are over 200 million people here. The numbers of converts to pentecostalism are far more dramatic.

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2014, 03:15:03 PM »

100 people is statistically irrelevant. There are over 200 million people here. The numbers of converts to pentecostalism are far more dramatic.
Where is the "much interest into traditional forms of Christianity" comig from?

Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2014, 03:32:33 PM »

Here are the numbers for the growth of the evangelicals according to the official demographics agency IBGE:

Year - Number of adherents - % in BR's population
2000   26.2 million                 15.4%
2011   42.3 million                 22.0%

And here a graphic with the % of each religion in the population of Brazil

In order: Catholics - Evangelicals - Spiritists (of which 2% Kardecists, 0.3% Umbandists and Candomblecists) - No religion

Here is another interesting graphic

In order: Catholics - Evangelicals - Spiritists (of which 2% Kardecists, 0.3% Umbandists and Candomblecists) - Others - No Religion

Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2014, 04:15:05 PM »

Huh?  I've been told that the whole Brazil is converting to Pentecostalism or something to that effect.

Where is the "much interest into traditional forms of Christianity" comig from?

From enquirers and deffectors. The utter, obstinate, systematic, committed disregard of hierarchs for conversions, their attitude of never offending  Rome with "seeking converts" which could disrupt "ecumenical relations", to the point of abandoning priests, local converts and even craddle Orthodox specially the ones not in wealthy families, the burgeois commodism of both clergy and laity satisfied with high middle class to rich families supporting parishes that are little less than cerimony halls, the acceptance of priests who are a just socially maladjusted when not frankly ill-intentioned people or defrocked Roman priests, or deffectors from Roman schisms, or radical ecumenists who promptly start to Romanize their churches in name of "inculturation", none of which have an Orthodox monastic or theological education, the acceptance of priests from Orthodox countries who were just exiled for bad behavior, when not for something even more serious, all in the name of "lack of priests", this all leads to a very high number of people who come seeking to learn, know more and are told to remain with Rome because they are "sister churches" or simply find out they have to learn everything by themselves *despite* the clergy, the hierarchy and the laity, not with them.

Never, ever, anyone built a monastery here. Never ever even a theological crash summer course, much less a theological school or seminary. No books translated. The "best" sources to learn about Orthodoxy are not-overtly-aggressive Roman or Uniate books which at best avoid a patronizing tone against the "oriental brothers" a term where they put both Orthodox and Non-Chalcedoneans in order to play down the unity of the Orthodox church. No single official translation of Liturgical materials. No where local to learn systematically how to serve a Liturgy, only through observation, which means basically stand there watch - which is the worst possible way for people who did not grow in an Orthodox culture. No schools or charities. Churches are literally chapels built attached to the ethnic association clubs and used mainly for baptisms and weddings, and by the way the "ekonomia" toward accepting divorced people has earned the Orthodox Church to be known in Brazil as "that church that marries divorced people", because just about anybody is accepted, usually being told they need to receive a "blessing" first that just happens to be Chrismation, but "it doesn't matter because we all worship the same God and the differences between the Churches are just misunderstandings caused by political greed". And of course, with a reasonable fee that varies from about 80 dollars to even above 1000 (and yes, in some cases it *is* charged in dollars).

The trouble with Orthodoxy in Brazil at least is that many in the laity, many in the clergy and even among high hierarchs will one day hear from the Lord: "But woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because ye shut the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye enter not in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering in to enter." St. Mat 23:13

Today we are just part of the 0.2% classified as "Other religions". I am not saying that people would convert in waves like they do to Protestantism, but Orthodoxy and even non-Chalcedoneans could together account for 1 to 2% of the population (that's 2 to 4 million souls!), but there should have nothing short of a conversion of hearts among those who can do something. We need first to reeducate the current Orthodox. They have to understand that Orthodoxy is not just their parents exotic form of Roman Catholicism, that they are *not* the same church separated just by the grumpiness of dead political hawks, not only that there are significant differences, but that these differences *matter* in our spiritual lives and that the Orthodox Church and only her is the Church of Christ. That is one of the things evangelicals are not afraid of saying: here is Christ, He is not there. If you stay there, you will miss Him, so come and be with Him. The Orthodox Church, in Brazil, simply cannot bring itself to say that, even in fraternal, diplomatic ways. And, in the end of the day, that's why people are converting to Protestantism here, because they see Roman hierarchs (and that happens among the Orthodox too) trying to promote an institution, afraid of being polemical, afraid of the opinion of the public. Who can truly love Christ and even *bother* about what the public will say? Orthodox is dying in Brazil. Bishops are afraid there will be no churches here in less than a generation. We lost 8 members of the clergy just in the first quarter and there are not 30 clergy members in the country. But they are clueless about the causes. It's dying of Ecumenism, of trying to be just the "sister church" of Rome. And honestly, if the current trend needs to go to its awful end to finish off that infirmity and Orthodoxy may be reborn in a later generation knowing who we are, respectfully disagreeing with our fellow Christians, but firmly affirming that salvation is *here* and not there, and then it will grow from a healthy seed, so be it.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 04:45:02 PM by Fabio Leite » Logged

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: