Author Topic: Saint Odran  (Read 1084 times)

Offline Ansgar

• Archon
  • Keep your mind in hell and do not despair
Saint Odran
« on: May 15, 2014, 12:19:50 PM »
I was reading about this saints, when I came across this:

Another legend tells that the chapel that Saint Columba wanted to build on Iona was destroyed every night. Finally he was told by a voice that it could never be finished until a living man was buried below. So Odran was buried alive willingly and the chapel could be finished. But one day he pushed his head through the wall and said that there was no hell as was supposed nor heaven that people talk about. Alarmed by this Columba let Odran's body be variously covered with earth more securely or removed with haste.[3]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odran_of_Iona

So... are we to take this as a mere legend? I know that in Denmark, foundation sacrifices were practiced by some christians for a short while, before the Church put a stop to it, but I have never heard instances of human sacrifice though.
Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Stratopedarches
  • You're my guardian angel hiding in the woods
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
Re: Saint Odran
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 12:28:26 PM »
I was reading about this saints, when I came across this:

Another legend tells that the chapel that Saint Columba wanted to build on Iona was destroyed every night. Finally he was told by a voice that it could never be finished until a living man was buried below. So Odran was buried alive willingly and the chapel could be finished. But one day he pushed his head through the wall and said that there was no hell as was supposed nor heaven that people talk about. Alarmed by this Columba let Odran's body be variously covered with earth more securely or removed with haste.[3]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odran_of_Iona

So... are we to take this as a mere legend? I know that in Denmark, foundation sacrifices were practiced by some christians for a short while, before the Church put a stop to it, but I have never heard instances of human sacrifice though.

Maybe they really wanted to build over a martyr and couldn't wait.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Porter ODoran

• St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Toumarches
  • Monahos.net: "Lawful Evil"; OC.net: "Chaotic Evil"
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 09:20:59 PM »
Practice of human foundation sacrifices has been evidenced in Phoenecia, Egypt (but only First Kingdom, a very long time ago), the vast horn-of-Africa civilization (its proper name escapes me now), and parts of China. I've never heard of its being a practice among Europeans per se. Animal foundation sacrifices, on the other hand, seem to have been ubiquitous wherever animal sacrifice was practiced.

What a gem of a strange little account.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Nephi

• Protokentarchos
  • A non-Chalcedonian in Chalcedonian clothing.
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 09:59:14 PM »
"No hell as was supposed nor heaven that people talk about." What would this even mean?

But here it mentions that "Iona’s cemetery grew around Otteran’s burial plot." I'm inclined to consider the foundation sacrifice to be a popular legend or something.

Columba saw devils and angels fight over Odran's soul before it ascended into heaven.
Toll houses! ;)