OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 09:26:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Michael Jordan Wrote A Book...  (Read 428 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« on: May 15, 2014, 02:36:27 AM »

A biography of the Michael Jordan, titled 'Michael Jordan: The Life,' came out recently, but that's not the Michael Jordan I am referring to in the title of this thread. I was doing a search on some theological topic or other on amazon.com and stumbled upon this book:

The Historical Mary: Revealing the Pagan Identity of the Virgin Mother
By Michael Jordan

Based on new anthropological discoveries and fresh research of ancient Near Eastern, Greek, Roman, Jewish and early Christian texts, this book investigates the mystery of who Mary really was and what role she played in Jesus' life and ancient society. In the tradition of the historical Jesus books, this book looks at Mary in the context of her social, political and religious settings, and comes up with some very provocative conclusions. Most significant is the pagan culture that flourished in the region of Jesus' birth and the role Mary played within these cults.

The author uses extensive evidence to paint a vivid picture of Mary's world as a heterodox, multi-cultural region, full of cross influences and power struggles. He specifically establishes the widespread worship of female fertility goddesses and relates the known evidence of Mary's life to the practices of these fertility cults. Finding extensive parallels, the author asserts that Mary did participate in these sacred practices and only later did the male religious hierarchy of the early Christian church sanitize her image.

Grin Cheesy

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 03:21:44 AM »

I went to high school with a Michael Jordan, but it wasn't the NBA GOAT, nor was it this goat.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 03:25:10 AM »

If Michael Jordan wrote it, then it's legit. But don't trust anything written by Lebron James.  Wink

Selam

"Those who have nothing constructive to offer are masters at belittling the offerings of others." +GMK+
LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 03:26:10 AM »

A biography of the Michael Jordan, titled 'Michael Jordan: The Life,' came out recently, but that's not the Michael Jordan I am referring to in the title of this thread. I was doing a search on some theological topic or other on amazon.com and stumbled upon this book:

The Historical Mary: Revealing the Pagan Identity of the Virgin Mother
By Michael Jordan

Based on new anthropological discoveries and fresh research of ancient Near Eastern, Greek, Roman, Jewish and early Christian texts, this book investigates the mystery of who Mary really was and what role she played in Jesus' life and ancient society. In the tradition of the historical Jesus books, this book looks at Mary in the context of her social, political and religious settings, and comes up with some very provocative conclusions. Most significant is the pagan culture that flourished in the region of Jesus' birth and the role Mary played within these cults.

The author uses extensive evidence to paint a vivid picture of Mary's world as a heterodox, multi-cultural region, full of cross influences and power struggles. He specifically establishes the widespread worship of female fertility goddesses and relates the known evidence of Mary's life to the practices of these fertility cults. Finding extensive parallels, the author asserts that Mary did participate in these sacred practices and only later did the male religious hierarchy of the early Christian church sanitize her image.

Grin Cheesy

Ugh.

What with the number of "authors" of late reinventing this creaky, wobbly wheel, it's about time they all started suing each other for plagiarism.  Tongue Tongue Roll Eyes
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 03:26:21 AM »

If Michael Jordan wrote it, then it's legit. But don't trust anything written by Lebron James.  Wink
You don't trust the King James Bible? Wink
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 03:28:46 AM »

Of course not! I'm Orthodox!  Wink

Selam

"Those who have nothing constructive to offer are masters at belittling the offerings of others." +GMK+
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 07:21:17 AM »

...E-I-E-I-O!!!

Cheesy

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 08:50:57 AM »

Thats awfully clever for so early in the morning, Peter!  Cheesy

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 09:07:23 AM »

...E-I-E-I-O!!!

Cheesy

Beat me to that! LOL.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Gamliel
Archon

Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 10:03:03 AM »

Michael Jordan rowed ashore, alleluia. Tongue
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 06:04:49 PM »

I went to high school with Richard Nixon who played clarinet in the band, and John Lennon who did not play any instrument, he was the school drunk.

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: