OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 01:44:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Healing - East and West  (Read 1247 times) Average Rating: 0
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: April 11, 2005, 03:14:26 AM »

To take a break from the political and culture stuff, I'm curious as to what you guys think about Medicine as practiced both in the west, east and historically in the (well, Mid-East). 

I have had scoliosis since I was an early teen - all forms (some scoliosis, but the lordosis and kyphosis more pronounced).  My back is in pain frequently and it just sucks.  In terms of most western medicine, I have found that most doctors are practically useless, or that they are not willing to even try to understand or help.  It is very frustrating.  I have tried chiropractic, various forms of massage, pilates and yoga as well.  Chiropractic helps, but is more like a quick fix.  Massage is similar, but is probably more effective than chiropractic per session for overall health.    Pilates and yoga, as systemic forms of physical therapy seem to be the most effective, but with all types of physical therapy, must be practiced regularly.  For me, I've found that regular yoga and keeping my stomach (and weight) relatively small so it can support my back is the best overall strategy.

Now, more to the point.  I read an article by a Andrew Weil (M.D.) that I thought, while siimple, was unfortunately not so obvious to the western mindset.  In the article, he talks about how modern medicine is actually very pessimistic.  From the article:
"The whole medical curriculum is about disease.  There's nothing about health, nothing about healing.  Why isn't there a course in remission to balance the course in pathology?  There's nothing.  Furthermore, when doctors get into hospitals, their actual experience of sick people is with a very skewed sample.  They see the very sick, many of whom do not recover."  I thought this was very reavealing, but deeper, kind of correlates with the juridical concepts in 'western' post-schism theology.  There is a huge disconnect from 'wellness' and trying to prevent sickness in the first place.  The article also talked about this pessimism as similar to a shaman putting a 'hex' on you with their negativity.  Kind of a doom pronounced from on high begets fear which begets further deterioration in health. 

Since eastern medicine has been in increasingly in vogue, I'm wondering what y'all here know about healing/medicine in Orthodox countries?  Is the mindset different?  If yes, how so?  Is there any connections with the Orthodox concepts of healing of the soul?
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 07:14:05 AM »

Elisha, you have an impecable sense of timing!  This past weekend we just had a conference on holistic healing here at Holy Cross (which is why my bishop, Metropolitan +MAXIMOS of Pittsburgh, came up here, and why I've been busy the past 4 days).  Let me see if they are going to post the papers or video online or something.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005, 11:14:33 AM »

Elisha, you have an impecable sense of timing! This past weekend we just had a conference on holistic healing here at Holy Cross (which is why my bishop, Metropolitan +MAXIMOS of Pittsburgh, came up here, and why I've been busy the past 4 days). Let me see if they are going to post the papers or video online or something.

That is funny, since I've had the magazine with that article has been in my car for about 5 months!  Let me know about those papers.  Sounds interesting.  Thanks.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 02:28:59 AM »

:bang:  Closest thing to a bump emoticon.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005, 07:16:00 AM »

Well, knowing the blazing speed of progress here at Holy Cross, the papers and presentations should be available online around June 1st....... 2035.  It should be just in time for the 31st installment of the conference series.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: