OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 06:05:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OCA vs. Antiochian  (Read 1738 times) Average Rating: 0
RehamG
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Inquirer

« on: May 14, 2014, 06:29:54 PM »

Anyone care to highlight some of the differences?

"A humble man who lives a spiritual life, when he reads the Holy Scriptures, will relate all things to himself and not to others.”

– St. Mark the Ascetic, Sermon, 1.6
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 06:32:09 PM »

*braces self for onslaught*

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
RehamG
Elder

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 06:45:41 PM »

Grin

"A humble man who lives a spiritual life, when he reads the Holy Scriptures, will relate all things to himself and not to others.”

Elisha
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 06:47:27 PM »

Russian roots vs Lebanese/Syrian which affect liturgics.  That's all that is necessary to know.

Every parish is different.  You can find some OCA parishes that are more "Greek" than Antiochian and vice versa and everything in between.

Next subject please.
Avdima

Faith: In search of...
Jurisdiction: none

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 06:48:28 PM »

I won't be that bad.  Wink
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 06:56:56 PM »

Russian roots vs Lebanese/Syrian which affect liturgics.  That's all that is necessary to know.

Every parish is different.  You can find some OCA parishes that are more "Greek" than Antiochian and vice versa and everything in between.

Next subject please.
Amen.

Remnkemi

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 07:23:11 PM »

Next subject please.

I'm not converting but I'm curious. Theoretically speaking, you as an OCA parishioner or an Antiochian parishioner would have no problem switching to the opposite church provided the opposite church speaks relatively the same amount of Greek. Practically speaking, does this happen? Would anyone want this to happen?
RehamG
Elder

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 07:29:44 PM »

Next subject please.

I'm not converting but I'm curious. Theoretically speaking, you as an OCA parishioner or an Antiochian parishioner would have no problem switching to the opposite church provided the opposite church speaks relatively the same amount of Greek. Practically speaking, does this happen? Would anyone want this to happen?

I have no idea if it happens. I just asked for my ow personal info., and I mostly wanted to know about the language differences if any. Somehow I assumed (maybe wrongly) that Antiochian used Arabic sometimes.

username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 07:38:17 PM »

Liturgics. That's it. The local Antiochian parish sings Russian four part and Antioch chant.
Mostly Liturgics that the casual observer won't notice the difference.  You'd have to know the services inside and out to notice.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 07:38:58 PM by username! » Logged

username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 07:43:36 PM »

Yes the local Antiochian church uses a bit of Greek and arabic.
Oca uses a bit of church slavonic depending on the parish.
There are oca churches that use all slavonic and ones ..Most parishes use english.
Same for the Antiochian churches. Some might use more arabic than others some might use only english.
Each parish is unique regardless of jurisdiction.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 07:44:02 PM by username! » Logged

Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 07:51:02 PM »

EDIT:

Apologies.  Wrong Thread.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 07:52:22 PM by Kerdy » Logged
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2014, 08:00:05 PM »

Where I live, the OCA and Antiochian parishes both use English for everything.  Sure, the priests may do a portion here and there in Slavonic or Arabic.  If my only option was an Antiochian parish, I'd happily go.  I once visited an OCA parish that had a resident Russian priest and the parish had DL in Slavonic twice a month.  Either way, English or Slavonic, it was well-attended by immigrants or locals.  I've yet to go to an Antiochian parish where the DL is done with more than 10% Arabic.

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2014, 08:06:29 PM »

I've yet to go to an Antiochian parish where the DL is done with more than 10% Arabic.

LOL, I've had the exact opposite experience. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2014, 08:10:29 PM »

I've yet to go to an Antiochian parish where the DL is done with more than 10% Arabic.

LOL, I've had the exact opposite experience. 

Don't you live in NYC or something?   Tongue I wouldn't expect any other way!  I look forward to going to a full Arabic Liturgy, heck even a full Greek Liturgy.

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2014, 09:07:19 PM »

Don't you live in NYC or something?   Tongue I wouldn't expect any other way!  I look forward to going to a full Arabic Liturgy, heck even a full Greek Liturgy.

The full Greek Liturgies in the area are, on the whole, a more aesthetically pleasing experience than the (close to) full Arabic Liturgies in the area.  At least that is my experience.  Maybe I need to get out more. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2014, 09:09:33 PM »

The full Greek Liturgies in the area are, on the whole, a more aesthetically pleasing experience than the (close to) full Arabic Liturgies in the area.  At least that is my experience.  Maybe I need to get out more. 
Pleasing in what way?

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2014, 09:18:38 PM »

Pleasing in what way?

Both are beautiful languages.  Presuming Byzantine chant for both, I have a slight preference for Arabic, even though I understand much less of it...it sounds more pleasing to my ears.  But the Arabic chanters I've heard are not as good as the Greek chanters (I'm not including priests in this comparison), and I prefer beautifully sung Greek to not as beautifully sung Arabic.   

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2014, 09:26:54 PM »

Liturgics. That's it. The local Antiochian parish sings Russian four part and Antioch chant.
Mostly Liturgics that the casual observer won't notice the difference.  You'd have to know the services inside and out to notice.

The main difference is in the first part of the Divine Liturgy. The Antiochian practice (in line with the Greek reforms of the late 19th Century) is to use the festal antiphons during ordinary Sundays.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2014, 09:35:26 PM »

The full Greek Liturgies in the area are, on the whole, a more aesthetically pleasing experience than the (close to) full Arabic Liturgies in the area.  At least that is my experience.  Maybe I need to get out more.  
Pleasing in what way?

Both are beautiful languages.  Presuming Byzantine chant for both, I have a slight preference for Arabic, even though I understand much less of it...it sounds more pleasing to my ears.  But the Arabic chanters I've heard are not as good as the Greek chanters (I'm not including priests in this comparison), and I prefer beautifully sung Greek to not as beautifully sung Arabic.    

Perhaps I am prejudiced, but I think that the Bulgarian adaptation of the Byzantine chant is most pleasing to my ear. Check out this  video of Patriarch Neofit, who is chanting "The Angel Cried..." in Church Slavonic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxvqhkTf-Eo
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 09:36:27 PM by Carl Kraeff (Second Chance) » Logged

username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2014, 09:36:22 PM »

Okay let's go even deeper..The prayer of the 3rd hour during the epeclesis is a Slavic practice.

scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2014, 09:48:47 PM »

Pleasing in what way?

Both are beautiful languages.  Presuming Byzantine chant for both, I have a slight preference for Arabic, even though I understand much less of it...it sounds more pleasing to my ears.  But the Arabic chanters I've heard are not as good as the Greek chanters (I'm not including priests in this comparison), and I prefer beautifully sung Greek to not as beautifully sung Arabic.   

+1.

THe only Arab chanters we have in my church can only read Arabic phonetically.  I once was told by a native Lebanese who was visiting that our "arab" chanters routinely ruin their beautiful language. Chanting bad Arabic just adds insult to injury.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2014, 09:55:38 PM »

Perhaps I am prejudiced, but I think that the Bulgarian adaptation of the Byzantine chant is most pleasing to my ear. Check out this  video of Patriarch Neofit, who is chanting "The Angel Cried..." in Church Slavonic.

A beautiful prejudice....thank you for sharing that.

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2014, 09:56:33 PM »

Pleasing in what way?

Then again, isn't beautifully-sung anything better? Wink

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2014, 09:57:48 PM »

A beautiful prejudice....thank you for sharing that.
+1

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2014, 09:57:59 PM »

Next subject please.

Speaking Greek really has nothing to do with it. People move from OCA to Antiochian to Greek to Russian o whatever parishes all the time with no problem. The faith is the same. The sacraments are the same.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2014, 09:58:24 PM »

That's quite beautiful, but I'm not sufficiently familiar with the ins and outs of Byzantine chant to really tell the difference between regional adaptations (I've heard Byzantine chant in person in Greek, Arabic, English, and Romanian).  Do you have any other Bulgarian recommendations?  

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Antonis
Prodigal
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

"My Lord and my God!"

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2014, 10:01:28 PM »

The full Greek Liturgies in the area are, on the whole, a more aesthetically pleasing experience than the (close to) full Arabic Liturgies in the area.  At least that is my experience.  Maybe I need to get out more.  
Pleasing in what way?

Both are beautiful languages.  Presuming Byzantine chant for both, I have a slight preference for Arabic, even though I understand much less of it...it sounds more pleasing to my ears.  But the Arabic chanters I've heard are not as good as the Greek chanters (I'm not including priests in this comparison), and I prefer beautifully sung Greek to not as beautifully sung Arabic.    

I've always loved Bulgarian adaptations of Byzantine chant. There was a Bulgarian recording on youtube that I particularly liked of "Receive the Body of Christ," but I can no longer find it.  Sad

For peace in the whole world,
for the stability of the holy churches of God,
and for the unity of all,
let us pray to the Lord.
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2014, 12:09:20 AM »

Byzantine chant is a very, very stern mistress. When it's good, it's heavenly. When it's even slightly not good, it's ghastly.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2014, 08:12:14 AM »

Byzantine chant is a very, very stern mistress. When it's good, it's heavenly. When it's even slightly not good, it's ghastly.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great
Taxiarches

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2014, 10:27:27 AM »

That's quite beautiful, but I'm not sufficiently familiar with the ins and outs of Byzantine chant to really tell the difference between regional adaptations (I've heard Byzantine chant in person in Greek, Arabic, English, and Romanian).  Do you have any other Bulgarian recommendations?  

Sure. Please note the tendency to veer off ever so slightly toward the western ear and musical sensibilities. I am also including some Serbian chanting that is equally beautiful (and sung by a very talented artist, Divna Ljubojević).

Serbian: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFBCGhb4yu8
Bulgarian: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcNgfDsPrnw

Some more from Patriarch Neofit (who sounds like my late father, the best chanter I ever heard).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYx5DiBr9KE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hBwc1BBtv0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EYVw7zHUrM

Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Catechumen

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2014, 09:26:47 PM »

Our parish has two priests most Sundays being an Anitochian church the parish priest is Antiochian, of course, but his backup most Sundays and sub when he's not there is OCA. We do 99% of the service in English but when we go multilingual we do Greek, Slavonic, Arabic, and sometimes Spanish. We use Byzantine music and Russian four part music, too. So yes there are the differences in details that have been mentioned above, but more similarity than difference I would think. But maybe that just us.

Prov. 3: 5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.
Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2014, 09:42:48 PM »

There are tons of small differences like I said. Most are not anything the laity are going to recognize or hear.
Stated here so far;
The antiphons are different
No 3rd hour prayer during the epeclesis in the Antiochian church( you wouldn't hear this anyway from the pews)
Style of chanting during the "propers" is antiochian style byzantine chant where as the OCA usually uses Obikhod.

isaelie
Warned

« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2014, 10:20:11 PM »

fish n chips  police
frjohnmorris
OC.net guru

« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2014, 01:00:54 AM »

Pleasing in what way?

+1.

THe only Arab chanters we have in my church can only read Arabic phonetically.  I once was told by a native Lebanese who was visiting that our "arab" chanters routinely ruin their beautiful language. Chanting bad Arabic just adds insult to injury.

One of my brother Priests who is also a non-Arab, but shall remain unnamed told that once Metropolitan Philip visited his parish. During the Matins, he noticed that His Eminence was getting more and more agitated. Finally, he said to the Priest, do you know what they are saying, they are mispronouncing the words and are cussing.
In my parish, which uses all English, we have a display case of items from the history of our parish which was founded in 1906. There is an old Arabic service book in the case. One Sunday, a traveler from Lebanon visited our parish. He called me to the side and told me that the book is upside down.

Fr. John W. Morris.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 01:07:17 AM by frjohnmorris » Logged
frjohnmorris
OC.net guru

« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2014, 01:04:34 AM »

I have been an Antiochian Priest for over 34 years and have yet to attend a Divine Liturgy completely or even mostly in Arabic.

Fr. John W. Morris.
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2014, 01:05:15 AM »

During the Matins, he noticed that His Eminence was getting more and more agitated. Finally, he said to the Priest, do you know what they are saying, they are mispronouncing the words and are cussing.

I love when that happens.  I've heard it.  I may have even done it once or twice.  Tongue

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Taxiarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2014, 01:59:25 AM »

During the Matins, he noticed that His Eminence was getting more and more agitated. Finally, he said to the Priest, do you know what they are saying, they are mispronouncing the words and are cussing.

I love when that happens.  I've heard it.  I may have even done it once or twice.  Tongue

Oh there is the incident where the new priest only slightly mispronounces an arabic word:

So, this one priest was trying to say: "Lord bless the people," but he actually said: "Lord bless the horses."
From what I heard of this event, there was not a dry eye in that Cathedral.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2014, 02:43:26 AM »

Pleasing in what way?

+1.

One of my brother Priests who is also a non-Arab, but shall remain unnamed told that once Metropolitan Philip visited his parish. During the Matins, he noticed that His Eminence was getting more and more agitated. Finally, he said to the Priest, do you know what they are saying, they are mispronouncing the words and are cussing.
In my parish, which uses all English, we have a display case of items from the history of our parish which was founded in 1906. There is an old Arabic service book in the case. One Sunday, a traveler from Lebanon visited our parish. He called me to the side and told me that the book is upside down.

Fr. John W. Morris.

Could be worse: I was at a Romanian Church in the US that had a cloth covering a table had the Muslim creed written along the border.
There was a PhD dissertation at my Alma Mater that studied Renaissance paintings that had the Madonna wearing robes that had Muslim formulae written on them.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Auntie Oak

« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2014, 03:06:59 AM »

Renaissance paintings that had the Madonna wearing robes that had Muslim formulae written on them.

I've heard of this, only I believe it even goes way further back than the Renaissance. Something like medieval Muslim artisans making icons/paintings/etc. to sell to pilgrims going to the Holy Land - only they were interwoven with finely subtle Islamic calligraphy unbeknownst to the ignorant pilgrim. I believe it came up in a graduate course my father had taken on a related subject... I'll have to ask him about it again sometime.

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Taxiarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2014, 03:11:37 AM »

Renaissance paintings that had the Madonna wearing robes that had Muslim formulae written on them.

I've heard of this, only I believe it even goes way further back than the Renaissance. Something like medieval Muslim artisans making icons/paintings/etc. to sell to pilgrims going to the Holy Land - only they were interwoven with finely subtle Islamic calligraphy unbeknownst to the ignorant pilgrim. I believe it came up in a graduate course my father had taken on a related subject... I'll have to ask him about it again sometime.

Good to know before buying anything on eBay.

Note: I have not yet purchased anything from eBay.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Auntie Oak

« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2014, 03:31:28 AM »

Good to know before buying anything on eBay.

Note: I have not yet purchased anything from eBay.

I'd say buying icons on Ebay is fine. Most of it it either comes from Eastern Europe or Greece, and there isn't much on there from the Middle East, other than perhaps the occasional "Holy Land Starter Souvenir Kit" with dirt, water, and a crucifix or an icon. I doubt those come from Muslims though, and even if they did I don't imagine they're secretly inscribing Islamic stuff anywhere. I'm pretty sure the practice disappeared a long time ago.

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
JGHunter
Settling dust
Elder

Faith: Struggling Orthodox

« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2014, 07:19:09 AM »

OP there is no versus. Please don't pretend churches in communion are in some sort of fight.

Lord Deliver Us.
dknajjar

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2014, 08:28:54 AM »

I have been an Antiochian Priest for over 34 years and have yet to attend a Divine Liturgy completely or even mostly in Arabic.

Fr. John W. Morris.

The Antiochian parish in Indianapolis, St. George, conducts Divine Liturgies in Arabic once per month. My father does the chanting, and I'd put him in the top 1% of Arabic chanters, at least in the US. And yes, I'll acknowledge my bias.
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2014, 10:42:36 AM »

OP there is no versus. Please don't pretend churches in communion are in some sort of fight.

Well said. The question speaks more to Western legalism than to an Orthodox heart.
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2014, 12:12:22 PM »

Fr. John W. Morris.

A couple of years ago my small parish invited an Arabic speaking priest to concelebrate with our priest. The service was as close to possible 50-50. We wanted to honour our Arabic-speaking members and entice some of the Arabic speaking "onlookers" who have never attended to at least pay a visit. Not one single Arabic speaking member of the congregation showed up on that Sunday. Every single one of them stayed away. We will never bother trying that again.

That said, I'm not opposed to the use of Arabic (or other heritage language) where it serves a useful purpose.
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: