Author Topic: Greek Font?  (Read 851 times)

Online Gamliel

• Archon
  • ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστον βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
Greek Font?
« on: May 12, 2014, 11:43:05 PM »
Hello
     I am beginning to learn Classical Greek in my spare time.  Since it is self-study, it may be an exercise in futility, but I am trying it anyway.   I have a question about Greek fonts.  So far, I am using the language bar in Microsoft Word 2010 to type the Greek.  The only way I know to get an acute or circumflex accent or breath mark typed is to use the insert function.  Does anyone know if there is a faster way with Microsoft Word, or does anyone use font software which (s)he likes?

Online wainscottbl

• Aspie weirdo of the forum
  • Archon
Re: Greek Font?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 02:58:52 AM »
I think you have to download the font from Microsoft or somewhere else. Other alphabets do not come with the version of Word here unless that;s what you order. I am sure you get it in Greece for example, though ancient Greek not sure. It's the same alphabet or no? Anyway sorry. Have to download it. Microsoft might not have it. But find a TRUSTED site. Run virus check on the download if you can and scan you computer after just to be safe.

EDIT: Microsoft should have it and you may have to pay. Microsoft is your best source because you can trust them. A little money is worth keeping your computer clean. I have learned that the hard way.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 03:00:35 AM by wainscottbl »
True patriotism sometimes requires of men to act exactly contrary, at one period, to that which it does at another, and the motive which impels them — the desire to do right — is precisely the same.

--Robert E. Lee

Offline Cyrillic

• Arbiter Elegantiarum
  • Toumarches
  • We must go back!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 05:37:53 AM »
"We are the hollow men
We are the stuffed men
Leaning together
Headpiece filled with straw. Alas!"
-T.S. Eliot

Online TheMathematician

• OC.net guru
  • Formerly known as Montalo
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 11:27:36 AM »
Hello
     I am beginning to learn Classical Greek in my spare time.  Since it is self-study, it may be an exercise in futility, but I am trying it anyway.   I have a question about Greek fonts.  So far, I am using the language bar in Microsoft Word 2010 to type the Greek.  The only way I know to get an acute or circumflex accent or breath mark typed is to use the insert function.  Does anyone know if there is a faster way with Microsoft Word, or does anyone use font software which (s)he likes?

You can always change the keyboard to a greek keyboard. For example, it is possible for me to use the AZERTY keyboard, which is native to France, on my QWERTY laptop. In addition, you can do it with other alphabets, such as Cryllic and I am sure greek too.

Offline isaelie

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 10:21:24 PM »
fish n chips  :police: