OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 02:47:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coptic Orthodox Characters on NBC's Rosemary's Baby  (Read 2436 times) Average Rating: 0
Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« on: May 12, 2014, 08:29:35 PM »

So, NBC just aired part one of a remake of Rosemary's Baby starring Zoe Saldana as Rosemary.

The story begins with a young Coptic Orthodox girl (Rosemary's predecessor) whose husband is in the process of selling her out to a clique of devil worshippers in Paris in exchange for wealth and success.  Her cross tattoo on the wrist is clearly visible.  She jumps to her death to escape her husband and his new cronies.

Later, Rosemary begins investigating the circumstances of the girl's death (her name is Nene) and after figuring out that she's Coptic locates a Coptic parish in Paris where she speaks to two Abounas.  They are accurately attired as married priests, with the proper caps and pectoral crosses, but one of the priests has the long hair of a monastic (something I've never seen on a married Coptic priest).  Their chapel looks more like a Byzantine chapel with Roman Catholic elements.  The priest with the long hair warns Rosemary against the devil worshippers, who later murder him and hang him from the ceiling of his church.

Looks like our public profile is increasing!

My sins run out behind me and I do not see them, but today I am coming to judge the errors of another.
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 08:56:42 PM »

They are accurately attired as married priests, with the proper caps and pectoral crosses, but one of the priests has the long hair of a monastic (something I've never seen on a married Coptic priest).  
Remakes often take noetic license.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 08:57:37 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 09:03:30 PM »

Roman Catholics and Russian Orthodox would probably tell us:  Welcome to the club  Wink
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 09:03:42 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 09:30:12 PM »

Roman Catholics and Russian Orthodox would probably tell us:  Welcome to the club  Wink

Grin Maybe one day we'll rate our own Deer Hunter!

My sins run out behind me and I do not see them, but today I am coming to judge the errors of another.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 11:15:15 PM »

That wrist cross tattoo was a big giveaway, although it was a big extravagant and black compared to regular tattoos.

You know what's funny, everytime I see something green on someone's wrist, I tend to examine the tattoo and the person carefully...lol

It's kinda funny how that cook was like, "oh ya she must be Coptic. There's one Coptic Church in Paris," as if that was common knowledge. His many common folks in Jersey City know there are two Coptic parishes there Tongue
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 11:19:55 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: