Author Topic: Horologions  (Read 610 times)

Offline Sam G

• Minister of Silly Walks
  • High Elder
  • My walk has become rather sillier lately....
  • Faith: Orthodox Christianity
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR - Old Rite
Horologions
« on: August 06, 2014, 07:10:40 PM »
Where does the standard "Book of Hours" for Orthodox Christians come from?

The only Horologion I've seen in person is the one produced by the Old-Rite Church of the Nativity in Erie, PA, which is "according to the typicon of the Holy Land and Great Lavra of our holy and God-bearing father Sabbas the Sanctified". Are all Horologions according to the St. Sabbas Monastery, or is this an "Old-Rite" thing.

Thank you and God bless.
This user doesn't post here enough.

Offline Ekdikos

• Elder
Re: Horologions
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 10:36:34 PM »

The only Horologion I've seen in person is the one produced by the Old-Rite Church of the Nativity in Erie, PA, which is "according to the typicon of the Holy Land and Great Lavra of our holy and God-bearing father Sabbas the Sanctified". Are all Horologions according to the St. Sabbas Monastery, or is this an "Old-Rite" thing.

Thank you and God bless.

Yes. Acctually, entire Byzantine rite today comes from redaction of Sabaite monks. :)

Offline Sam G

• Minister of Silly Walks
  • High Elder
  • My walk has become rather sillier lately....
  • Faith: Orthodox Christianity
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR - Old Rite
Re: Horologions
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 11:05:32 PM »

Thank you and God bless.

Yes. Acctually, entire Byzantine rite today comes from redaction of Sabaite monks. :)

Thank you for your reply. In hindsight that should have been obvious, seeing as the reforms under Patriarch Nikon were only revisions of the service books.
This user doesn't post here enough.