Author Topic: Horologions  (Read 589 times)

Offline Sam G

• High Elder
  • All ye Saints, pray to God for me a sinner.
Horologions
« on: August 06, 2014, 07:10:40 PM »
Where does the standard "Book of Hours" for Orthodox Christians come from?

The only Horologion I've seen in person is the one produced by the Old-Rite Church of the Nativity in Erie, PA, which is "according to the typicon of the Holy Land and Great Lavra of our holy and God-bearing father Sabbas the Sanctified". Are all Horologions according to the St. Sabbas Monastery, or is this an "Old-Rite" thing.

Thank you and God bless.
All of my hope, I place in thee, O Mother of God; do preserve me under they shelter.

Offline Ekdikos

• Elder
Re: Horologions
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 10:36:34 PM »

The only Horologion I've seen in person is the one produced by the Old-Rite Church of the Nativity in Erie, PA, which is "according to the typicon of the Holy Land and Great Lavra of our holy and God-bearing father Sabbas the Sanctified". Are all Horologions according to the St. Sabbas Monastery, or is this an "Old-Rite" thing.

Thank you and God bless.

Yes. Acctually, entire Byzantine rite today comes from redaction of Sabaite monks. :)

Offline Sam G

• High Elder
  • All ye Saints, pray to God for me a sinner.
Re: Horologions
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 11:05:32 PM »

Thank you and God bless.

Yes. Acctually, entire Byzantine rite today comes from redaction of Sabaite monks. :)

Thank you for your reply. In hindsight that should have been obvious, seeing as the reforms under Patriarch Nikon were only revisions of the service books.
All of my hope, I place in thee, O Mother of God; do preserve me under they shelter.