OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 05:51:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Two Greek typikons  (Read 652 times) Average Rating: 0
Regnare
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA catechumen

« on: May 11, 2014, 09:21:51 PM »

From what I have been told, though most Greek parishes (I assume this includes the broader "Greek churches" as opposed to "Slavic churches", not just the Greeks themselves) use a reformed version of the Sabaite Typikon which is mostly abbreviated for practicality: for example, it eliminates the Vigil rank of feasts so that all feasts and Sundays are commemorated with just Vespers and Matins, changes the order of Matins, and (I'm guessing) gets rid of the single orarion for deacons. But I've also learned that this is only true of parishes. Greek monasteries, meanwhile, use the original, predating the mid-19th century reforms. Is this the product of specific rulings by the churches involved, or is it merely custom? Could a monastery decide to use the "Violakis Typicon", or conversely, a parish priest to use the Sabaite (over his congregation's protests)?

"I give praise to your holy Nature, Lord, for you have made my nature a sanctuary for your hiddenness and a tabernacle for your holy mysteries, a place where you can dwell, and a holy temple for your Divinity." --Venerable St. Isaac of Nineveh
frjohnmorris
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 11:40:56 PM »

From what I have been told, though most Greek parishes (I assume this includes the broader "Greek churches" as opposed to "Slavic churches", not just the Greeks themselves) use a reformed version of the Sabaite Typikon which is mostly abbreviated for practicality: for example, it eliminates the Vigil rank of feasts so that all feasts and Sundays are commemorated with just Vespers and Matins, changes the order of Matins, and (I'm guessing) gets rid of the single orarion for deacons. But I've also learned that this is only true of parishes. Greek monasteries, meanwhile, use the original, predating the mid-19th century reforms. Is this the product of specific rulings by the churches involved, or is it merely custom? Could a monastery decide to use the "Violakis Typicon", or conversely, a parish priest to use the Sabaite (over his congregation's protests)?

A parish or monastery normally must use the typikon authorized by the Bishop with authority over the parish or monstery. You can download a copy of an English language translation of the Violakis Typikon with notes indicating differences with the St. Sabba Typikon at http://almoutran.com/pdf/typikon.pdf
Antiochians use the Violakis Typikon but without the changes he made. For example we chant the Matins Gospel in its traditional place before the canon. Instead of after the 8th ode of the canon as specified by Violakis' revisions. 
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 11:44:47 PM by frjohnmorris » Logged
Jonathan Gress
Warned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 02:10:11 PM »

Another thing is that, on the rare occasions that a Vigil is celebrated, Greeks actually make it longer than Slavs, i.e. after Matins they go through all the Hours and then Divine Liturgy, whereas Slavs stop after the First Hour and resume with the Third and Sixth Hours and Liturgy the following morning. Are the Greeks following the original practice in how they celebrate the Vigil?
isaelie

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 10:18:44 PM »

fish n chips  police
Regnare
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA catechumen

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 11:30:23 PM »

I command this thread to rise from its freshly-dug grave and do my bidding once again.
The use of the Sabaite and Violakis Typicons is often used as the basis of differentiating between the classic extremes of "Greek" and "Russian" practice. Fr. John Morris gave, above, an example of how the Antiochians are different from both. Does anyone know where the other Orthodox Churches fall on this spectrum, like the Romanians, Serbs, and Bulgarians, or, for that matter, the Georgians, Alexandrians, or Jerusalemites? Which typicon do they use, and do they modify it at all?

"I give praise to your holy Nature, Lord, for you have made my nature a sanctuary for your hiddenness and a tabernacle for your holy mysteries, a place where you can dwell, and a holy temple for your Divinity." --Venerable St. Isaac of Nineveh
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: