OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 27, 2014, 09:20:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The WR Sanctorale  (Read 364 times) Average Rating: 0
Caelestinus

Faith: orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« on: May 11, 2014, 06:19:28 PM »

As the use of the (Roman-Catholic) Missale Romanum prior to Paul VI. is permitted (with the known modifications concerning the epiclesis), are or should the feasts and commemorations of post-schism saints be suppressed? If yes, from witch date on (1009, 1054, 1204, ..)?

Vladika Jerome wrote in his interview from last year that the WR (ROCOR) do not have corpus Christi and seven sorrows. What about Mary Queen (31th of May), Heart of Jesus (feast and votive mass on certain Fridays), Immaculate Conception (8th of December)?

Is there already any clarification or official statement concerning post-schism feasts and veneration of saints?

BTW: What about the commemoration of Non-Orthodox Christians in the Liturgy in the Memento of the living and the dead? If it is not permitted like it is in the 'normal' Rite, where is it layed down in written form (or will this be part of the expected work of the ROCOR-commission)?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 06:19:55 PM by Caelestinus » Logged
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 07:28:26 PM »

Are you looking for an official ruling?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Caelestinus

Faith: orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 02:14:18 AM »

Are you looking for an official ruling?

Guidelines would be helpful in my regard..

For example Coelestin, Gelasius, Gregory and Martin of Rome are undoubtetly saints of the Russian Church. Others were venerated as saints in the West before the schism, but I have no knowledge (except for the saints of the British Islands approved by Moscow) that their feats/veneration is approved for WR-parishes and lastly, I regard it as problematic to celebrate fests of Roman-Catholic departed (Saints), like John Baptist de la Salle, Pope Pius V., Francis Xavier, Bon Bosco etc., but they are in the RC Missal, and as far as I know, nobody of the responsibles (Vladika Jerome, ..) spoke out restrictions or gave instructions concerning the Sanctorale.

What do you know? What is your opinion?
Jay_Orthodox

Faith: Orthodox in the Anglo-Catholic tradition (Western rite Orthodox)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Catholic Church (Western rite)

Blessed Catherine, Patroness of Philosophers

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 07:54:05 PM »

Intriging question. I am an amateur liturgist and sacred music connoisseur, so I will try to answer to be best of my knowledge. The liturgical calendar does not retain feasts such as Corpus Christi, something I personally do not approve of.

I think that retaining a feast in the liturgical calendar should be decided as the question arises. Corpus Christi should be retained, while other feasts, like Christ the King, should not. Saints canonised after 1960 should definitely not be honoured, however. The merit of the life of the saint in question and the feast's significance should be always in question when we look at these things.
Sleeper
OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 09:52:52 AM »

In the Antiochian Western Rite, there are no Western saints post-1054 included on our calendar.

Feasts such as Corpus Christi, Christ the King, have been and remain part of our calendar for decades, with full knowledge and approval of Met. PHILLIP (of blessed memory). The reason simply being that there is no earthly reason why we would eradicate feasts of such theological profundity and beauty, and still call ourselves "orthodox" with a straight face.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 11:04:05 AM »

In the Antiochian Western Rite, there are no Western saints post-1054 included on our calendar
It depends on what you mean by "Western Saint". St. Raphael of Brooklyn could be considered a western saint. We commemorate him.

What about the commemoration of Non-Orthodox Christians in the Liturgy in the Memento of the living and the dead?
I have never heard of commemoration of non-Orthodox saints in the Western Rite. If I did, I would seriously consider leaving the Western Rite for the Eastern.

Feasts such as Corpus Christi, Christ the King
Although "ok" and I've attended these, I've always had issues with these....same with Our Lady of Walsingham.

PP
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 11:05:39 AM by primuspilus » Logged

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: