OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 21, 2014, 08:21:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Philaret of ROCA,  (Read 1308 times) Average Rating: 0
Justionios

« on: April 10, 2005, 12:03:27 PM »

Is there any american that can tell me more about Philaret , Is there anyone here that knew him ?

How big is Roca ? Is it the biggest Russian church, does it still exist ? I knew that the church that I am following has get its evlogi from the Russians. And I have heared that Philaret warned us from several things, what did he say about the antichrist ?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2005, 12:09:05 PM by Justionios » Logged

ΧΑΙΡΕ ΑΝΟΡΘΡΩΣΕΙΣ ΤΩΝ ΑΝΘΡΩΠΩΝ , ΧΑΙΡΕ Κ
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2005, 03:56:59 PM »

How big is Roca ? Is it the biggest Russian church, does it still exist ?

Yes, the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad (ROCA) does still exist. Regarding size, she has roughly: 340 parishes, 26 Monasteries, 14 bishops, 360 priests, 100 Deacons, 150 monastics, and 100,000 lay people. She is very, very small compared to the Russian Church inside Russia (Moscow Patriarchate), whose own numbers even in the diaspora are comparable to ROCA's numbers. This page might be of some help to you. Fwiw, I think Archbp. Averky of ROCA spoke about the antichrist more than Met. Philaret, so you might want to look around for stuff by him as well (e.g., on Google).
« Last Edit: April 10, 2005, 03:57:31 PM by Paradosis » Logged

I would strongly recommend Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future by Fr Seraphim Rose.
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2005, 04:27:24 PM »

I've got a question along similar lines.  Are ROCOR and ROCA the same entity?  I've seen some stuff that seems to indicate that they are, but the different names is kind of confusing if they are the same group.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2005, 06:50:44 PM »

Yes, the same.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2005, 07:20:45 PM »

Yes, the same.

Is ROCiE (Russian Orthodox Church in Exile) the same as well?  Maybe we should have a "sticky" to keep track of acronymns.

Now, in case anyone doesn't know, ROCOR/ROCA/ROCiE?  is NOT to be confused with ROAC (Russian Orthodox Autonomous Church), which is a schismatic group. 
Felipe Ortiz

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate

For He was made man that we might be made God.

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2005, 09:57:14 PM »

There are three different and separated entities:

(a) Russian Orthodox Church Abroad (ROCA) = Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia (ROCOR). It is also called sometimes as ROCOR (L), normally by the members of the two Synods below. "L" is for "Laurus", as the current First Hierarch of ROCOR is Metropolitan Laurus of New York.

(b) There is another entity that uses the very same name, Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia, but has no communion with the former. So it is usually called as ROCOR (V), where "V" is for "Vitaly", for its First Hierarch is Metropolitan Vitaly of Mansonville. Until recently they used the name Russian Orthodox Church in Exile (ROCiE). They separated from the former Synod in 2001. They claim to be the "true" ROCOR.

(c) Russian Orthodox Autonomous Church (ROAC) is a third group, also a dissidence from the first Synod above. They broke with ROCOR in the 90's. It is headquartered in Suzdal, Russia. They claim to be the Russian Church of the Catacombs.
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2005, 01:44:40 PM »

Is there any american that can tell me more about Philaret , Is there anyone here that knew him ?

I knew him in the capacity that he bounced me on his knee when I was a baby, and he taught my older sisters to snap their fingers.  He knew my parents, and when he came to San Francisco he would sometimes visit them, and play with us kids. 
Unfortunately he died before I got any real benefit, though my parents and grandparents speak of him as a friend and very spiritual man. 

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2005, 01:47:48 PM »

Thanks Felipe.
Felipe Ortiz

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate

For He was made man that we might be made God.

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2005, 03:40:05 PM »

Many aged people of the ROCA parishes in S+úo Paulo came from Harbin, China, and most of them knew Metropolitan Philaret quite well when he was still an Archimandrite there. They usually talk about him as a godly man. He is much admired here: I suppose one can find a big portrait of him in the trapeza room of every local parish.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: