OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 10:35:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodoxy and minorities !  (Read 683 times) Average Rating: 0
Justionios

« on: April 10, 2005, 12:29:45 PM »

Is here anyone that is thinking of orthodoxy in historical terms ??
Have you thougt of that the true soldiers of Gud has always been minorities , minorities that have been hunted.
See David and Golitath ,
In the early church era there was always spiits where heretical christians where hunting orthodox christians as monophists,Arius and many more, , later we went in in another period with muslims and catholics that where hunting us and kiling us.

I have read about a time where it was a singal bishop Markos the friendly (o evgenikos) that stopped a unioin with Vatican. Bishop Markus is today one of our biggest saints,

In about 1700 AD there was only 60 000 orthodox in Greece left, but it was enough to keep the continouing of the faith and God sent the two saints Kosmas F and Kosma entolos , how helped to create an entire nation of this 60 000 that where left.

My biggest question is , how small can an orthodox group be, to be allowed to call it self as the true orthodox ??

Historically can somebody tell me what have happend to the ones that didn't follow that small orthodox groups historically ??
How could you see the diffrence beetwen the true orthodox and the many ??

This question can look silly today when everboy is taking about unions and love, but the history can hoppfully gives us answers on today's topics.

With Christ love

« Last Edit: April 10, 2005, 03:19:28 PM by Justionios » Logged

ΧΑΙΡΕ ΑΝΟΡΘΡΩΣΕΙΣ ΤΩΝ ΑΝΘΡΩΠΩΝ , ΧΑΙΡΕ Κ
Ntinos
Σαλός
Elder

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 08:17:37 AM »

I will not answer your question, since I am unfit to do it, but I will rather comment on something.

In about 1700 AD there was only 60 000 orthodox in Greece left, but it was enough to keep the continouing of the faith and God sent the two saints Kosmas F and Kosma entolos , how helped to create an entire nation of this 60 000 that where left.

Greece did not just stop being Orthodox for a few centuries, then become Orthodox again thanks to two Saints: Greece was Orthodox all the way round. During the Turkocracy, being a christian was not easy, so many were hiding. It was not just the Orthodox and the Muslims, it was the large population of the Orthodox and the small but ruling population of Muslims.
Saints Kosmas certainly did do a work equal to an apostle's, but he did not start out of the zero. He helped the Christians realise the magnitude of the Orthodox faith, not teach them Orthodoxy from the start.
And generally, 60 000 may seem small as a number now, but back then it wasn't.

Back that time it would have been easier to declare yourself a Turk and spare yourself and your children from a lot of trouble, that's why the Orthodox were considered a minority. So was the "kryptoxriastianoi" first used in Turkocracy.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: