OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 09:36:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spell-Checker  (Read 2718 times) Average Rating: 0
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« on: April 09, 2005, 08:11:43 PM »

Just a suggestion for the admins - can we get a spelling checker added here to the submission window?

I know it is common to have people with horrible spelling in their internet posts, but some of the recent ones I have been reading have been outrageous.  I'm not perfect, either.  And I also know that some of these guys could be copying their posts into Word or something beforehand.

Just a suggestion as a long-term idea.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Jennifer
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2005, 09:16:57 PM »

I don't know for sure but suspect that some of the posts you're referring to were written by people who are native english speakers. 

Landon77
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA (Antiochian Western Orthodox in exile)

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2005, 09:27:42 PM »

And maybe they are just like me- I just don't care.  If you can tell what it is saying, that's good enough.

"How stands your mighty god? My God is stronger than he."  -St. Boniface
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2005, 10:53:55 PM »

No, Landon, your posts are just fine... I'm talking about some of the guys whose posts are nearly incomprehensible - I think we only get the point because of the grace of the Holy Spirit enlightening us... otherwise, they're not even worthy of 4th grade.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
troy

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2005, 11:13:06 PM »

If someone is really concerned about their spelling they can download the new beta Google toolbar, available here.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2005, 11:22:30 PM »

I wish they were concerned about their spelling.... honestly, a few mistakes here and there are not bad (like Landon and myself), but when it's a struggle to read the post then we are talking about unprofessional, immature, etc. writing - which shouldn't be happening amongst those of us who have graduated from elementary school.

---------------------
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2005, 11:31:29 PM »

cleveland,
Not all of us have English as a first, or even second, language. And not all of us have local spell-checkers either. It is frustrating (but you should see IM's and cellphone text-messaging if you want real irritation.)
I don't know how we can get a board-hosted spell-checker working with our Spanish and Russian boards and Greek text throughout the forum. I'm not even mentioning Arabic or Coptic.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2005, 12:31:53 AM »

I have implemented an English spell checker for next version of OC.net  It will be possible eventually for me to add-in other language spellchecking, but unfortunately as of right now my time is limited.

If there was higher demand and interest on behalf of OC.net posters, I would move faster.  I have several times over the past asked for beta testers to try out new features, but received little response or interest.

The next version of OC.net is set to roll out the 2nd week in May after I finish my exams.

As always, feature requests can be posted here and I will consider and implement them.

Robert
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2005, 12:35:01 AM »

In further clarification, if it matters to anyone,

I will be able to include all modern language spell checking with the libraries I have, but languages like slavonic and coptic will unfortunately be up in the air until a) someone who knows it writes one or b) someone who knows the language can provide me with a list of every word in the specified language and common morphographical mistakes so I can implement a logic system.

thanks
robert
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2005, 12:38:46 AM »

That's a lot of work for a FSF or GNU effort. Ouch.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2005, 12:43:35 AM »

the new spell checker kicks ass. it highlights your errors and offers corrections.  well i like it anyway.

also some other new features I have implemented include:
support to preview/edit posts without reloading the page (a la gmail)
username autocompletion when writing PMs and whatnot(also like gmail)
more admin functionality
some user interface changes
bug fixes (lots)

and other stuff which im too lazy to type out
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2005, 12:48:33 AM »

I'm impressed  Smiley

Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2005, 12:50:38 AM »

thanks.

the only question is when will i run out of ideas to implement?

ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2005, 03:28:36 AM »

I'll be very offended if the new spell checker only uses American English and drops the "U" from "colour", "honour", "vapour" etc and doesn't recognise "autumn" Wink

George (Australia)

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2005, 03:39:30 AM »

I'll be very offended if the new spell checker only uses American English and drops the "U" from "colour", "honour", "vapour" etc and doesn't recognise "autumn" Wink

And perhaps most important on this board, if it doesn't recognise "Oecumenical"!

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Landon77
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA (Antiochian Western Orthodox in exile)

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2005, 09:25:42 AM »

No, Landon, your posts are just fine... I'm talking about some of the guys whose posts are nearly incomprehensible - I think we only get the point because of the grace of the Holy Spirit enlightening us... otherwise, they're not even worthy of 4th grade.

Oh, OK.  Yeah, those annoy me.

"How stands your mighty god? My God is stronger than he."  -St. Boniface
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2005, 05:27:41 PM »

waht do we ned a spill cheker fur?

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2005, 06:24:17 PM »

Why are you so unwilling to make allowances for people who post here and are from countries where English is not the native language?  Do you think that if you were posting in a language that is foreign to you that your grammar and spelling would be perfect.

So far I have had no problem following such posts.  Neither should you.

Orthodoc

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2005, 06:36:42 PM »

How rare...Orthodoc and I agreeing on something. I don't have the guts to try and post in my "other languages", Greek and Spanish - it would be too embarrassing. Kudos to those who participate here in a language other than their own.

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2005, 07:56:42 PM »

Wait now - I am encouraging people from other countries to post - I didn't say to put a national or ethnic ban.  I asked for a spell-checker - so that people from nations where English is not the first language can have the spell-checker go through and clean up the posts, so their ideas can be more clearly expressed.  If we (who speak English well) can help them in this way, then their ideas will come across more clearly - and better communication is in all our best interests.  I am sorry if I somehow made it sound like I don't want non-native English speakers to be posting - that is not my feeling or my intent.  I just want us to help them speak our language, just as I would hope that they would help us speak their language.

---------------------
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: