OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 02:00:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forget gay marriage: 'Fornicators and adulterers' in church a bigger issue  (Read 492 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: May 07, 2014, 01:29:45 PM »

Christians should clean up their own act before condemning gay marriage, said actor Kirk Cameron, who visits Alabama this month to lead marriage seminars.
"If the people sitting in the pews are fornicators and adulterers, the church will destroy marriages much more quickly than those outside the church. When God's people mock marriage, God doesn't take that lightly."

Cameron declined to criticize gay marriage and same-sex unions, saying that's not a priority.
"We need to be faithful in our own house," he said. "Jesus didn't go shouting at the Romans. He went into the temple. We have the same problem today that people had back then. We've had pastors drop like flies, guys I know. When that happens, it drags the name of Christ through the mud. When hypocrisy grows within the church, it's like pouring fertilizer on the weeds in your garden."

I disagree with his anti-evolutionism, but he was great in 'Growing Pains'.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 01:31:22 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 01:42:13 PM »

What's surprising is that he still has an audience that's willing to pay.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 01:44:15 PM »

Huh. I would have found it hard to believe that I'd agree with Kirk on much, yet here it is...

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 01:51:27 PM »

Huh. I would have found it hard to believe that I'd agree with Kirk on much, yet here it is...
I greatly respect Kirk.  He was a visionary before his time.  Let us reflect on some of his quotes.

Leave bigotry in your quarters; there's no room for it on the bridge.

There's only one kind of woman...or man, for that matter. You either believe in yourself or you don't.

Worlds are conquered, galaxies destroyed...but a woman is always a woman.

There are certain things men must do to remain men.

*sigh*  I'm getting all nostalgic now.  I think I'll go watch Star Trek this evening.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 01:53:06 PM »

I greatly respect Kirk.  He was a visionary before his time.  Let us reflect on some of his quotes.

Leave bigotry in your quarters; there's no room for it on the bridge.

There's only one kind of woman...or man, for that matter. You either believe in yourself or you don't.

Worlds are conquered, galaxies destroyed...but a woman is always a woman.

There are certain things men must do to remain men.

*sigh*  I'm getting all nostalgic now.  I think I'll go watch Star Trek this evening.

Wisdom....

Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas un Poirot

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 02:18:20 PM »

Cameron declined to criticize gay marriage and same-sex unions, saying that's not a priority.

That all sins are bad doesn't mean that some shouldn't be criticized because they're "not a priority". His logic stinks.

"Eheu fugaces, Postume, Postume,
labuntur anni"
-Horace, Odes II:14
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 02:19:12 PM »

I'm sure as more Americans support marriage equality, Evangelical Christians will back away from the issue.

Proverbs 22:7
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 02:29:33 PM »

That all sins are bad doesn't mean that some shouldn't be criticized because they're "not a priority". His logic stinks.

Maybe he didn't want to get dragged into the thousandth time that topic is discussed. Maybe he meant something along the lines of 'that is not a priority for me to speak about today,' knowing how people tend to fixate on gay marriage, and that once that cat is out of the bag that it wouldn't be possible to put it back in.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 02:29:54 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 02:31:16 PM »

Kirk Cameron, the closest thing Baptists have to a saint...except for Tim Tebow.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 02:34:06 PM »

Kirk Cameron, the closest thing Baptists have to a saint...
...uh, that would be MLK, Jr.

And, no, saints are not perfect.  Wink

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2014, 02:50:05 PM »

Um, that blog only mentions Episcopalians and Lutherans.

Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2014, 02:55:47 PM »

But MLK was a Baptist.

TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2014, 02:58:10 PM »

But MLK was a Baptist.
Speaking as a former Baptist, I would say that most of the more conservative strains of Baptists do not look favorably upon him. Of course, there are about 80+ different Baptist denominations, so that really doesn't tell you much.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2014, 03:02:13 PM »

But MLK was a Baptist.
Speaking as a former Baptist, I would say that most of the more conservative strains of Baptists do not look favorably upon him. Of course, there are about 80+ different Baptist denominations, so that really doesn't tell you much.

+1.  And with as many Independent Baptist churches that also happen to be homogenous and/or racist, good luck having them recognize MLK a saint.  Or any saint for that matter.  That be eye-doll-ah-tree, son.

minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2014, 06:29:12 PM »

Ya, he was being politically correct at that moment, but I think overall the quoted OP seems to be something I tend to agree with.  Increased divorce rates, adultery, and fornication became socially acceptable before gay marriage.  I think the underlying problem that lead to gay marriage is not gay predispositions, but an overall destruction of the very fabric of marriage itself, leading to a vain understanding of what "marriage" is in the secular world.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2014, 06:39:09 PM »

I'm sure as more Americans support marriage equality, Evangelical Christians will back away from the issue.
and contribute to accelerate societal collapse.  After all, they paved the way with divorce.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 06:39:47 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2014, 08:23:46 PM »

and contribute to accelerate societal collapse.  After all, they paved the way with divorce.

Your life isn't society.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Chalcedonian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2014, 08:26:42 PM »

Ya, he was being politically correct at that moment, but I think overall the quoted OP seems to be something I tend to agree with.  Increased divorce rates, adultery, and fornication became socially acceptable before gay marriage.  I think the underlying problem that lead to gay marriage is not gay predispositions, but an overall destruction of the very fabric of marriage itself, leading to a vain understanding of what "marriage" is in the secular world.

I think I agree. It seems to make more sense that gay marriage is not directly a cause, but a symptom, of the collapse of marriage.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2014, 08:39:16 PM »

Your life isn't society.
You're right: my sons are legitimate.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2014, 08:45:42 PM »

Or not "politically correct."

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2014, 08:55:25 PM »

I dunno, it seemed quite politically incorrect to me, taking into consideration the politics of conservative Christianity.

minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2014, 10:18:04 PM »

I dunno, it seemed quite politically incorrect to me, taking into consideration the politics of conservative Christianity.

Good point, but I think he was trying to attract the opposition with his double message of "I'm not concentrating on that right now" and "wo to you Christian fornicators and divorcees, hypocrites!"

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2014, 10:20:34 PM »

Your life isn't society.

I guess the government knowing who a kid's parent is more important than the kid knowing who they are. Strange twist coming from you.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2014, 10:33:30 PM »

Right, because heterosexuals never got divorces before. At least divorce is something you know about.

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2014, 10:36:39 PM »

and contribute to accelerate societal collapse.  After all, they paved the way with divorce.

Your life isn't society.

I guess the government knowing who a kid's parent is more important than the kid knowing who they are. Strange twist coming from you.
Last year, 40% of children in the US not living with their father (an ever increasing number) had not set foot in their father's house, a large number not even seeing him the entire year.
Good luck on them knowing who they are.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 10:40:55 PM by ialmisry » Logged

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2014, 10:38:44 PM »

and contribute to accelerate societal collapse.  After all, they paved the way with divorce.
Right, because heterosexuals never got divorces before. At least divorce is something you know about.
LOL.
The more you harp on that one note, the more you prove my point on this issue.
It takes only one person to get a divorce, it takes two people of opposite gender to make a marriage.

btw, in IL, as in NY, they had "same sex divorce" before they had redefined marriage.  In fact, in IL the first homosexual "divorcing" his "partner" filed two years ago.  Marriage isn't officially redefined in IL until next month.
How apropos!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 10:43:53 PM by ialmisry » Logged

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2014, 03:22:56 AM »

LOL.
It takes only one person to get a divorce, it takes two people of opposite gender to make a marriage.

btw, in IL, as in NY, they had "same sex divorce" before they had redefined marriage.  In fact, in IL the first homosexual "divorcing" his "partner" filed two years ago.  Marriage isn't officially redefined in IL until next month.
How apropos!

My mother's been through two divorces; two of my sisters are divorced.  Trust me, it takes two to divorce, but usually both parties think it only takes one.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 03:23:34 AM by JamesRottnek » Logged

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2014, 08:04:03 AM »

LOL.

btw, in IL, as in NY, they had "same sex divorce" before they had redefined marriage.  In fact, in IL the first homosexual "divorcing" his "partner" filed two years ago.  Marriage isn't officially redefined in IL until next month.
How apropos!

My mother's been through two divorces; two of my sisters are divorced.  Trust me, it takes two to divorce, but usually both parties think it only takes one.
No, it takes only one. Besides the admission by the ad hominem crowd that divorce (as opposed to my parents or siblings, though you can trust them when they say the same answer as mine) "is something [ I ] know about," and the same judgement of my ex's father confessor and our counselor (and, it would seem, our son's psychologist-although he hasn't come out and said it, he has said plenty on their mother), there is plenty of data that the divorce courts of this country churn out.  Let alone the plain language of the divorces statutes.

"Usually" doesn't mean "always."  I'm not sure of this issue if you can even substantiate it meaning "mostly."

The same ad hominem ilk used to point out that Reagan was divorced when he promoted family values.  Not something pertinent, mind you, like he signed the first no fault divorce law while governor of California (something he (and his son) said he regretted when he saw what he unleashed).  No, a personal attack because they couldn't argue the facts on the matter.  That his ex remarried and divorced after him-as she had married before him-and the number of years of their marriage outnumbered the number of years of her other marriages put together, while he remarried for over half a century until his death, would suggest a rather lopsided allotment of responsibility for the divorce.

Mel Gibson said the he alone bore the responsibility of his divorce.  Given his behavior, is there any contrary evidence?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 08:06:00 AM by ialmisry » Logged

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: