Author Topic: Where to purchase Old Jordanville Prayer Book  (Read 849 times)

Offline Ousia

Where to purchase Old Jordanville Prayer Book
« on: November 04, 2015, 04:29:24 AM »
Dear all,

Forgive me if I have asked this question in the wrong forum. I am looking to purchase a copy of the Old Jordanville Prayer Book somewhere in North America (preferably in the US) and am at a loss as to where to obtain one. Would those of you who know please steer me in the right direction? The only place that I could find statewide that at least carried it at one time was here: http://www.sjkp.org/ though they seem to be out, as the listing price for that particular title seems to be the only one that is absent. I have found a U.K. supplier, here: http://sgois.co.uk/index.php/store/item/prayer_book1 but they do not ship outside of the UK. They also mention at the link above that there is "one mistake where page 344 was printed twice with no page 343". Is this true for most editions, or repressed editions of the OJPB? They say there will be a new edition of the prayer book out soon, but again they do not ship outside the UK, and they have not responded to any of my emails (scratching head).

Well, if anyone could assist me, it would be extremely appreciated! Thank you all so much.

In Him,
Ousia

Post: I've heard that in the OJPB there is no use of the word Theotokos. Could someone knowledgeable please explain why and what is used in it's stead? Would I be wrong to assume it is because of the Greek? Thank you!

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
Re: Where to purchase Old Jordanville Prayer Book
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 04:45:10 AM »
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 06:25:45 AM »
They use "Mother of God" instead of "Theotokos". Some English ROCOR folks thought that was a perfectly good term and there was no need to use the Greek word.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Serbian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of New Gracanica
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 12:24:47 PM »
Here my usual go to for any book: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=jordanville+prayerbook

Also, the Holy Trinity Monastery itself: http://bookstore.jordanville.org/books/english/liturgics/liturgical-texts-music/prayer-book/

(It took a bit of searching to find it on the Monastery website.)

I will check page 344 when I get home (if I remember...if no one else answers feel free to PM to jog my memory.)
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 12:28:08 PM »
That's the "new" prayer book (the older one uses the translations of Fr. Lazarus Moore). I actually think the new one is better but some prefer the older one.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Spiritual Vision of God's Radiance
  • Faith: hesychast navel gazer
  • Jurisdiction: high level theosis with pews
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 12:28:40 PM »
They use "Mother of God" instead of "Theotokos". Some English ROCOR folks thought that was a perfectly good term and there was no need to use the Greek word.
I agree with your sentiment regarding that translation, its imprecise at the very least.
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 12:29:39 PM »
She responds to the petitioner either way...how could She not?
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2015, 12:29:42 PM »
FWIW I recommend this:

Prayer Book - In Accordance with the Tradition of the Eastern Orthodox Church Kindle Edition
by All Saints of Alaska Orthodox
Church

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004TGUYRA/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1446654557&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165&keywords=alaska+orthodox+prayer&dpPl=1&dpID=31ehuHyhxGL&ref=plSrch

Best prayer book you can get and its only $4.99
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 12:30:23 PM by nothing »
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2015, 12:31:34 PM »
I think "Mother of God" is fine generally. It's imprecise, sure, but not to a degree of any importance.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2015, 12:34:42 PM »
I think "Mother of God" is fine generally. It's imprecise, sure, but not to a degree of any importance.
Yeah I was honestly waiting for someone to complain its too Westernized lol.

Offline Ousia

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2015, 05:32:10 PM »
Thank you all so far for your time and words. It truly is appreciated. I should have guessed the title "Mother of God" was used. I don't see why Theotokos should have been a problem. As if shunning the Greek.

That's the "new" prayer book (the older one uses the translations of Fr. Lazarus Moore). I actually think the new one is better but some prefer the older one.
What about the new one do you prefer? Just one, or a number of things? Thanks!

Unfortunately the hunt continues, please let me know if any of you all come across a seller for the *Fr. Lazarus Moore* translation. Preferably a new, unused copy.

God Bless

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2015, 05:35:08 PM »
Thank you all so far for your time and words. It truly is appreciated. I should have guessed the title "Mother of God" was used. I don't see why Theotokos should have been a problem. As if shunning the Greek.

What about the new one do you prefer? Just one, or a number of things? Thanks!

Unfortunately the hunt continues, please let me know if any of you all come across a seller for the *Fr. Lazarus Moore* translation. Preferably a new, unused copy.

God Bless

I generally find that the new translation flows better (ie, better prosody). Of course others may feel differently.

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2015, 06:14:11 PM »

They didn't change the cover much then!  Lol.

I will look at mine when I get home and see which one it is.  It is rather old, but not 1960's old fwiw.
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαύμα!
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: GOA
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2015, 06:56:40 PM »
Except in hymns where both are used--especially close to each other, such as the Axion Estin.

It also has the potential to throw off poetic comparisons in other hymns. I can't think of any examples at the moment, but it happens.
You sound like a professional who knows what he's talking about.  That's because you are.

"This is the one from the beginning, who seemed to be new, yet was found to be ancient and always young, being born in the hearts of the saints."
Letter to Diognetus 11.4

"The human being is earth that suffers."
Letter of Barnabas 6.9

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2015, 10:27:27 AM »

They didn't change the cover much then!  Lol.

I will look at mine when I get home and see which one it is.  It is rather old, but not 1960's old fwiw.

Ok, mine is a 1980's revision printed sometime in the 90's.