OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 06:47:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is "hanoot"?  (Read 2464 times) Average Rating: 0
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« on: April 09, 2005, 12:26:45 PM »

A very dear Coptic Orthodox friend of mine has given me a gift of what looks like the crushed leaves (and possibly petals) of a very fragrant plant, which I am pretty sure she called "Hanoot" but didn't know how to translate it into English or Greek. She explained that they had been placed on the relics of St. Menas. Can somebody please tell me what "Hanoot" is?

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2005, 12:45:54 PM »

Hanoot is simply the arabic name for those very fragrances/myrrh placed upon the relics.

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2005, 01:11:05 PM »

Actually i'm not 100% sure if Myrrh is included. Hanoot is simply a generic name for the mixture of perfumes. With regards to what specific plants are used, im not quite sure, someone else will have to answer that for you.

It's a blessing nonetheless; St Mina the Wonder Worker is truly a great Saint and a victorious Martyr, a favourite for all Copts.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2005, 01:11:54 PM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2005, 08:52:21 PM »

Thanks EA!
I consider it a great blessing.
As far as you know, is hanoot  made from the same specific ingredients each time or can different fragrances be acxhieved? The fragrance is exquisite!

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2005, 09:39:38 PM »

As far as you know, is hanoot  made from the same specific ingredients each time or can different fragrances be acxhieved?

All I can say with regards to that; is that I myself have hanoot, and the covers of certain relics which still permeate strong fragrance of the hanoot; of about 8 different Saints and Martyrs from various church’s and monasteries all over Egypt, and they all smell exactly the same.

The fragrance is exquisite!

Quite addictive too!

Peace.

lpalmer83

Faith: Coptic Orthodox

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 02:52:35 PM »

What is hanoot and how is it made?
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 10:39:24 PM »

Welcome to the forum!   Smiley

Fr.Kyrillos

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 01:14:26 AM »

What is hanoot and how is it made?

Hanoot is a mixture of precious spices and perfumes that are mixed together and then usually applied and spread all over the (usually wooden) reliquary containing the relics of a saint. The wooden reliquary is then covered in a red velvet cover with the name and icon of the saint stitched on it.

Here are examples I found on-line of the making of the hanoot and the relics as they appear when covered:

http://www.stdemiana.ca/index.php?option=com_g2bridge&view=gallery&Itemid=29&lang=en&g2_itemId=1991

http://politicalmonkey2010.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/relics.jpg

On the eve of the saint's feast there is a service (usually during Vespers) where a new application of hanoot is applied to the relics case.  The hanoot is also given as a blessing to people by placing a small amount on the back of a wallet size paper icon of the saint. It can stay fragrant for years.

God bless,
Fr. Kyrillos
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 01:24:35 AM by Fr.Kyrillos » Logged
Tags: Coptic Orthodox Church relics 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: