Author Topic: Incense  (Read 972 times)

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
  • my finger points
Incense
« on: May 04, 2014, 09:05:26 PM »
How much stronger is your average incense than your average store-bought candle?

Offline WPM

• Revolutionary Writer
  • Archon
Re: Incense
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 09:29:04 PM »
Its the kind you buy that are small charcoal cylinders placed in a incense burner/holder.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 09:30:14 PM by WPM »

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
  • my finger points
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 10:11:07 PM »
But are they smelly?

Offline DeniseDenise

• Protokentarchos
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 10:16:00 PM »
I am not sure of the question....

but to me...candles and incense are not at all comparable smell level wise.

even the most fragrant store bought candle, may make a room in a home have a hint of fragrance....

incense in church makes an entire sanctuary smell, however its not constant....so it would ebb and flow depending on the service and how much censing there is.

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
  • my finger points
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 01:50:54 AM »
Ahh yes, good points. I asked because I have thought of using it, but one time the maintenance men came around knocking on the doors in my hallway, asking if someone was burning incense and saying they could smell it out in the hall. Why they'd care I don't know, maybe they thought someone was using it to mask the smell of pot. *shrugs* Anyway, I just was thinking that if I used any I'd want to find a milder variety. Of incense I mean. :P

Offline JGHunter

• Settling dust
  • Elder
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 04:42:15 AM »
Ahh yes, good points. I asked because I have thought of using it, but one time the maintenance men came around knocking on the doors in my hallway, asking if someone was burning incense and saying they could smell it out in the hall. Why they'd care I don't know, maybe they thought someone was using it to mask the smell of pot. *shrugs* Anyway, I just was thinking that if I used any I'd want to find a milder variety. Of incense I mean. :P

Using incense to hide the smell of pot has been a method used since forever it seems. Every college/uni campus knows this trick for example. Either a milder variety, or less of it? Having only recently learnt that the incense is small pieces that sit on the charcoal, I guess you could just use less pieces?
Lord Deliver Us.

I no longer use this profile for conversation, only news, PMs and prayer requests.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Protostrator
  • All who love ZZ, honour ZZ!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Czech Lands
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 09:20:47 AM »
Ahh yes, good points. I asked because I have thought of using it, but one time the maintenance men came around knocking on the doors in my hallway, asking if someone was burning incense and saying they could smell it out in the hall. Why they'd care I don't know, maybe they thought someone was using it to mask the smell of pot. *shrugs*

Keep doing what you're doing, and when they come back asking the same question, invite them in for prayer and a short catechetical talk. 
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

New thread topic.  Rate the sexual attractiveness of members of OC.net on a scale of 1-10.

Mor Ephrem: 11/10

Offline username!

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 12:15:46 AM »
I would have told the maintenance man to mind his own business.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 12:18:33 AM »
If the maintenance man went around my complex incense smell hunting....oh boy...

it would not be me with the 'let us cover the pot' incense smell constantly going....not sure why anyone bothers with that though....no one will get in trouble or arrested...

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 12:20:09 AM »
If the maintenance man went around my complex incense smell hunting....oh boy...

it would not be me with the 'let us cover the pot' incense smell constantly going....not sure why anyone bothers with that though....no one will get in trouble or arrested...

For some people in WA and CO, old habits die hard.   :D

Offline DeniseDenise

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 12:22:21 AM »

For some people in WA and CO, old habits die hard.   :D

indeed....i suspect i might be the only one with incense but NO pot.

:laugh: :laugh:

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Άγιος κέιθ ο Υμνογράφος και Μελωδός, να μας σώσει!
    • Blog
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Puerto Rican Orthodox Sobor
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2014, 10:10:15 AM »
Ahh yes, good points. I asked because I have thought of using it, but one time the maintenance men came around knocking on the doors in my hallway, asking if someone was burning incense and saying they could smell it out in the hall. Why they'd care I don't know, maybe they thought someone was using it to mask the smell of pot. *shrugs*

Keep doing what you're doing, and when they come back asking the same question, invite them in for prayer and a short catechetical talk. 

While opening the door saying, "Have mercy on me, O God, according to thy great mercy..."
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Punch

• Taxiarches
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2014, 01:19:19 PM »

While opening the door saying, "Have mercy on me, O God, according to thy great mercy..."

You could always do what one of our operators did when he saw the Jehovah's Witnesses coming toward his house after a night shift.  He waited for them to ring the door bell, and then he opened the door wearing nothing but a wife beater and skivvies and said "What the ++++ do you want?  I was upstairs trying to sacrifice a goat to the devil."  He said that he never saw them again.
I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Άγιος κέιθ ο Υμνογράφος και Μελωδός, να μας σώσει!
    • Blog
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Puerto Rican Orthodox Sobor
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2014, 01:22:52 PM »

You could always do what one of our operators did when he saw the Jehovah's Witnesses coming toward his house after a night shift.  He waited for them to ring the door bell, and then he opened the door wearing nothing but a wife beater and skivvies and said "What the ++++ do you want?  I was upstairs trying to sacrifice a goat to the devil."  He said that he never saw them again.

Nice. ;D  A knife in hand dripping with red food coloring would have been a nice touch.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • In life as in art, grace glides on blistered feet.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2014, 01:46:13 PM »

A friend of mine did something similar when the JWs interrupted his sacrosanct D&D game. He looked back towards the gathering (there were several odd hats and other pieces of geek costume involved) and called, 'Just in time! The sacrifice is here!' :laugh:
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Radical Revolutionary Nutbar
  • Taxiarches
  • #FeelTheBern
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2015, 04:21:21 AM »
How much stronger is your average incense than your average store-bought candle?

The best question ever asked by mortal man.
Not everything I type or have typed in the past is reflective of the teaching of the Orthodox Church, or may not reflect my contemporary views on a subject. (5/30/2015)

I am scaling back posting because the crack in my computer screen makes it harder and harder to type.

Offline homedad76

• High Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2015, 08:47:39 AM »
You also may want to check your lease for any rules that may mean you can't burn incense.  Also if your neighbors are bothered by the smell that could become an issue.
"However hard I try, I find it impossible to construct anything greater than these three words, 'Love one another' —only to the end, and without exceptions: then all is justified and life is illumined, whereas otherwise it is an abomination and a burden."

—Mother Maria of Paris