OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 09:03:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Incense  (Read 530 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

Use your words!

« on: May 04, 2014, 09:05:26 PM »

How much stronger is your average incense than your average store-bought candle?

WPM
Archon

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 09:29:04 PM »

Its the kind you buy that are small charcoal cylinders placed in a incense burner/holder.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 09:30:14 PM by WPM » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Use your words!

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 10:11:07 PM »

But are they smelly?

DeniseDenise
Tiredness personified
Archon

Faith: Catechumen no more!
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 10:16:00 PM »

I am not sure of the question....

but to me...candles and incense are not at all comparable smell level wise.

even the most fragrant store bought candle, may make a room in a home have a hint of fragrance....

incense in church makes an entire sanctuary smell, however its not constant....so it would ebb and flow depending on the service and how much censing there is.

Please secure your own oxygen mask before assisting other passengers.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Use your words!

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 01:50:54 AM »

Ahh yes, good points. I asked because I have thought of using it, but one time the maintenance men came around knocking on the doors in my hallway, asking if someone was burning incense and saying they could smell it out in the hall. Why they'd care I don't know, maybe they thought someone was using it to mask the smell of pot. *shrugs* Anyway, I just was thinking that if I used any I'd want to find a milder variety. Of incense I mean. Tongue

JGHunter
Settling dust
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Kingdom of Heaven

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 04:42:15 AM »

Ahh yes, good points. I asked because I have thought of using it, but one time the maintenance men came around knocking on the doors in my hallway, asking if someone was burning incense and saying they could smell it out in the hall. Why they'd care I don't know, maybe they thought someone was using it to mask the smell of pot. *shrugs* Anyway, I just was thinking that if I used any I'd want to find a milder variety. Of incense I mean. Tongue

Using incense to hide the smell of pot has been a method used since forever it seems. Every college/uni campus knows this trick for example. Either a milder variety, or less of it? Having only recently learnt that the incense is small pieces that sit on the charcoal, I guess you could just use less pieces?

Lord Deliver Us.

I no longer use this profile for conversation, only news, PMs and prayer requests.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 09:20:47 AM »

Ahh yes, good points. I asked because I have thought of using it, but one time the maintenance men came around knocking on the doors in my hallway, asking if someone was burning incense and saying they could smell it out in the hall. Why they'd care I don't know, maybe they thought someone was using it to mask the smell of pot. *shrugs*

Keep doing what you're doing, and when they come back asking the same question, invite them in for prayer and a short catechetical talk. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 12:15:46 AM »

I would have told the maintenance man to mind his own business.

DeniseDenise
Tiredness personified
Archon

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 12:18:33 AM »

If the maintenance man went around my complex incense smell hunting....oh boy...

it would not be me with the 'let us cover the pot' incense smell constantly going....not sure why anyone bothers with that though....no one will get in trouble or arrested...

SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 12:20:09 AM »

If the maintenance man went around my complex incense smell hunting....oh boy...

it would not be me with the 'let us cover the pot' incense smell constantly going....not sure why anyone bothers with that though....no one will get in trouble or arrested...

For some people in WA and CO, old habits die hard.   Cheesy
DeniseDenise
Tiredness personified
Archon

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 12:22:21 AM »

For some people in WA and CO, old habits die hard.   Cheesy

indeed....i suspect i might be the only one with incense but NO pot.

laugh laugh

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2014, 10:10:15 AM »

Ahh yes, good points. I asked because I have thought of using it, but one time the maintenance men came around knocking on the doors in my hallway, asking if someone was burning incense and saying they could smell it out in the hall. Why they'd care I don't know, maybe they thought someone was using it to mask the smell of pot. *shrugs*

Keep doing what you're doing, and when they come back asking the same question, invite them in for prayer and a short catechetical talk. 

While opening the door saying, "Have mercy on me, O God, according to thy great mercy..."

Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2014, 01:19:19 PM »

While opening the door saying, "Have mercy on me, O God, according to thy great mercy..."

You could always do what one of our operators did when he saw the Jehovah's Witnesses coming toward his house after a night shift.  He waited for them to ring the door bell, and then he opened the door wearing nothing but a wife beater and skivvies and said "What the ++++ do you want?  I was upstairs trying to sacrifice a goat to the devil."  He said that he never saw them again.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2014, 01:22:52 PM »

You could always do what one of our operators did when he saw the Jehovah's Witnesses coming toward his house after a night shift.  He waited for them to ring the door bell, and then he opened the door wearing nothing but a wife beater and skivvies and said "What the ++++ do you want?  I was upstairs trying to sacrifice a goat to the devil."  He said that he never saw them again.

Nice. Grin  A knife in hand dripping with red food coloring would have been a nice touch.

Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2014, 01:46:13 PM »

A friend of mine did something similar when the JWs interrupted his sacrosanct D&D game. He looked back towards the gathering (there were several odd hats and other pieces of geek costume involved) and called, 'Just in time! The sacrifice is here!' laugh

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: