OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 20, 2014, 06:35:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Matins Gospel Procession  (Read 741 times) Average Rating: 0
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« on: May 03, 2014, 05:19:18 PM »

So in the GOA we normally process the Gospel after it is read, during the chanting of the 50th Psalm. 

We process it to the Narthex & leave it to be venerated by the faithful throughout the end of the Orthros & the Divine Liturgy. 

My question is...do we do this during the Pentecostarion period? 

It seems to me that every Sunday is like Pascha...and is celebrated almost like a Feast Day, not a normal Sunday.

My other question is...is the Gospel read from the side of the altar, or in front of the people? 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 05:33:32 PM »

So in the GOA we normally process the Gospel after it is read, during the chanting of the 50th Psalm. 

We process it to the Narthex & leave it to be venerated by the faithful throughout the end of the Orthros & the Divine Liturgy. 

It seems to me that every Sunday is like Pascha...and is celebrated almost like a Feast Day, not a normal Sunday.

My other question is...is the Gospel read from the side of the altar, or in front of the people? 

Ask your priest.  Tongue

I have no idea.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 06:14:19 PM »

For a Resurrection Sunday the Gospel is read by the priest from the south side if the altar. As far as being venerated by the faithful, it is done on all l Sundays not of the first class though Thomas Sunday is  a hybrid sharing both first class feast qualities as well as those of a typical Resurrection Sunday.  The rest of the Sundays of have readings from the Eothina and thus there will be a veneration.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 10:32:05 PM »

I guess then St. Thomas Sunday was my real throw-off b/c I was trying to figure it out ALL day that day.  ISTM that it's one of those days you could do either/or….no?

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 10:32:25 PM »

Ask your priest.  Tongue

I have no idea.

I tried…he wasn't available for comment.   Wink Shocked Kiss

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
frjohnmorris
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 11:51:27 PM »

For a Resurrection Sunday the Gospel is read by the priest from the south side if the altar. As far as being venerated by the faithful, it is done on all l Sundays not of the first class though Thomas Sunday is  a hybrid sharing both first class feast qualities as well as those of a typical Resurrection Sunday.  The rest of the Sundays of have readings from the Eothina and thus there will be a veneration.
Gospels of the eothinon, that is a Resurrection Gospel, are read from the south side of the Holy Table in memory of the angels who stood at the sides of the empty tomb. Feast day Gospels are read from the Ambon the same way that the Priest reads the Gospel during the Divine Liturgy. In Antiochian tradition when a Gospel of the eothinon is read, the Priest brings the Gospel out of the Altar to the Solea for the people to venerate the icon of the Resurrection on the cover of the Gospel. There is no veneration of the Gospel when a feast day Gospel is read.

Fr. John W. Morris.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 11:52:20 PM by frjohnmorris » Logged
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 07:09:30 AM »

For a Resurrection Sunday the Gospel is read by the priest from the south side if the altar. As far as being venerated by the faithful, it is done on all l Sundays not of the first class though Thomas Sunday is  a hybrid sharing both first class feast qualities as well as those of a typical Resurrection Sunday.  The rest of the Sundays of have readings from the Eothina and thus there will be a veneration.
Gospels of the eothinon, that is a Resurrection Gospel, are read from the south side of the Holy Table in memory of the angels who stood at the sides of the empty tomb. Feast day Gospels are read from the Ambon the same way that the Priest reads the Gospel during the Divine Liturgy. In Antiochian tradition when a Gospel of the eothinon is read, the Priest brings the Gospel out of the Altar to the Solea for the people to venerate the icon of the Resurrection on the cover of the Gospel. There is no veneration of the Gospel when a feast day Gospel is read.

Fr. John W. Morris.

Uh, yeah, That's pretty much exactly what I wrote. Why quote me and then rephrase?

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 01:15:11 PM »

Fr. John W. Morris.

Uh, yeah, That's pretty much exactly what I wrote. Why quote me and then rephrase?

Because it might be helpful to hear (a confirmation from?) from a priest who does this for a living? 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 02:43:04 PM »

^Yeah, because I'm an idiot; never mind that I've chanted Sunday Orthros  pretty much every Sunday for the last 10 years and doesn't know what is going on.

WPM
Archon

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 02:56:36 PM »

In the Eastern style, its read in front of the people. It may be to the side or some other liturgical arrangement. But that is what a fully-ordained Deacon is for.  
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 02:57:08 PM by WPM » Logged
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 03:04:00 PM »

^Yeah, because I'm an idiot; never mind that I've chanted Sunday Orthros  pretty much every Sunday for the last 10 years and doesn't know what is going on.

I have at least as much experience as you (if not more), but I would still have no problem deferring to a priest on rubrical questions concerning services that are in a special way his responsibility, even when our answers agree.  That you saw the need to pick on a 30+ year veteran archpriest for agreeing with your experience gained from a decade of weekly singing says more about you than it does about redundancy.    

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 05:05:45 PM »

I have at least as much experience as you (if not more), but I would still have no problem deferring to a priest on rubrical questions concerning services that are in a special way his responsibility, even when our answers agree.  That you saw the need to pick on a 30+ year veteran archpriest for agreeing with your experience gained from a decade of weekly singing says more about you than it does about redundancy.    

The original question was directed to the board as a whole so I answered.  Fr. John Morris, the archpriest in question, also answered essentially recapping what I wrote which made me wonder why he would quote me only to restate me.  I'm not picking on him. That you take such umbrage over a dialgoue that does not directly concern you says much about you.   

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2014, 06:34:14 PM »

That you take such umbrage over a dialgoue that does not directly concern you says much about you.   

I did not comment on a PM, but on a public post.  Were I to comment on my PM's, I should have a lot to say.  Anyway, I hope the opportunity to use "umbrage" made you feel better. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
frjohnmorris
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2014, 06:55:10 PM »

The original question was directed to the board as a whole so I answered.  Fr. John Morris, the archpriest in question, also answered essentially recapping what I wrote which made me wonder why he would quote me only to restate me.  I'm not picking on him. That you take such umbrage over a dialgoue that does not directly concern you says much about you.   

What I wrote was not intended to insult or offend anyone. I provided clarification as to why we read the Gospel of the Eothinon from the south side of the Holy Table. I did mention that in the Antiochian tradition, we do not have a procession with the Gospel book to the Narthex and leave it there for the people to venerate as was mentioned in one of the posts to which I was responding. I take the Gospel Book out of the Holy Doors to the solea and stand there holding it while the faithful venerate it and when they are finished take it back into the Altar and put it back on the Holy Table.

Fr. John W. Morris.
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2014, 08:17:39 PM »

That you take such umbrage over a dialgoue that does not directly concern you says much about you.   

I did not comment on a PM, but on a public post.  Were I to comment on my PM's, I should have a lot to say.  Anyway, I hope the opportunity to use "umbrage" made you feel better. 

It did. Thanks for inquiring.

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2014, 08:21:26 PM »

It did. Thanks for inquiring.

Kiss

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2014, 10:36:22 PM »

Right back at you, buddy. Grin

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: