OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 12:22:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Great Pope, Bishop Hilarion Says of John Paul II  (Read 1698 times) Average Rating: 0
shanmo9

OC.net

« on: April 08, 2005, 06:09:12 PM »

Zenit News -- Russian Orthodox Official Hopeful for a Prompt Beatification

http://http://www.orthodoxytoday.org/articles5/HilarionPope.shtml

Any comments?

John

Lord Jesus Christ have mercy on me a sinner!
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2005, 07:08:17 PM »

[Any Comments?]

Yes. I'd like to comment on the following paragraphs -

---------

"A number of problems arose, in particular, between the Orthodox and the Catholics in Russia and Ukraine, which prevented the leaders of the Orthodox Church in both countries from meeting with the Pope. These problems still await their solution.

"I met with the Pope twice, on both occasions delivering to him a message from the patriarch of Moscow, Alexy II. On January 21, 2002, which was our second and last meeting, I was entrusted with a somewhat delicate mission of explaining to the Pope the conditions on which his meeting with the primate of the Russian Orthodox Church would have been possible."

"He was, of course, well aware of these conditions, which had never been made a secret. Among them were an explicit rejection of all forms of proselytism on the canonical territory of the Moscow Patriarchate, and the recognition of the fact that 'Uniatism' could no longer be considered as a way towards Christian unity.
-----------

This is the crux of the reason there never was a meeting between the Pope and Patriarch. It refers to the 'Quadripartite Agreement' made between the RCC, ROC, UOC, UCC regarding theose churches that were forced by Stalin to go under the ROC in the 1940's. The creation of the Unia was done through force. The average peasant never had a choice on whether they wanted to remain Orthodox or go under Rome. Since the Orthodox didn't want this to be repeated in 1940 the agreement stipulated that two representatives of each of the four churches would visit each parish AND THE PARISH MEMBERS WOULD VOTE ON WHETHER THEY WANTED TO RETURN TO THE UNIA OR REMAIN WITHIN THE ORTHODOX CHURCH. Six weeks after the agreement went into effect the UGC's turned their backs on the agreement and started to retake the churches by force. Since the Popes representatives also signed the agreement the MP spent two years sending telegrams and repesentatives to the Pope asking him to both speak out and honor the agreement he had made. The Pope remained silent.

So, in spite of eveything history repeated itself and the RCC said one thing but did the opposite.  The average parish member did not have a say in the future of their parish.  Today they are being told they are 'Orthodox In Communion With Rome.'

A discussion of this agreement that the Pope reneged on was the main requirement of the MP before they could meet. The Pope used it to paly with the western press. In meetings that were announced (most outside of Russia) the Pope would agree but once the meeting was announced to the world he would take the item off the agenda. The reaction would result in the cancellation of the meeting and the MP being slandered in the western press.

Since the so called ROC Bishop had inside info on this, and was the one personally explaining it to the Pope (who he states was also aware of it), he should ask himself if this is worthly of a saint!

Orthodoc
« Last Edit: April 08, 2005, 07:10:30 PM by Orthodoc » Logged

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2005, 09:35:41 PM »

No comment; Orthodoc covered it just fine.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Get_Behind_Me_Satan
2Cor. 5:15 And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again.
Moderated

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Julian Calender

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 07:04:49 PM »

This is not the owner of this ID.  I'm is mother.

I was a devoted Catholic for many years before I saw the errors of believing in a man running the spiritual body of Christ.

I am shocked by Bishop Hilarion's lauds of John Paul II.

JPII non Christian search for unity, witnessed by the prayers for peace in 1986 which scandalized many Catholics with the Buddhists putting a Buddha on the tabernacle in an RC church in Assisi.  He attended services held by Satanists, Jews Moslems and Hindus, submitted himself to anti Christ rituals.

He promoted the mason's faith of deism, the faith of the soon coming Anti-christ.

He was a mason.  No saint in my book.

“The testimonies of the western teachers I neither recognize or accept. I surmise that they are corrupted.
There can be no compromise in matters of the Orthodox Faith.”

St Mark Of Ephesus, Doctor of the church. (True Church)

Down with ecumenism!
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 07:46:02 PM »

This is not the owner of this ID.  I'm is mother.

If you are the mother of the person with the screen name Get Behind Me Satan,

then I implore you to read this link

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,25559.msg410371.html#msg410371

You son could well be in a serious spiritual and psychological unbalanced state either because he is genuinely possessed by demons (as he himself believes) or because he believes he is possessed by demons.  Either way, please, your son is in need of your help and intervention, and as soon as possible.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 07:57:27 PM »

Why does he care who is or is not canonized in the Roman church?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 08:38:26 PM »

Should have read article 1st before commenting...I have liked Bishop Hilarion since he started getting press and notice state side, a very keen person...

« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 09:03:26 PM by Jakub » Logged

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 08:49:12 PM »

Does Met. Hilarion appear to be fawning for some reason, or is it just  my imagination? Undecided

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 09:37:19 PM »

Does Met. Hilarion appear to be fawning for some reason, or is it just  my imagination? Undecided

Metropolitan Hilarion said those words on 5th April 2005 - that was only three days after Pope John Paul had died.  He was not yet buried.  Most of the world was saying these complimentary things.

Under the circumstances I would praise the Metropolitan for still insisting on mentioning the ongoing tensions between the two Churches, as Orthodoc has pointed out in his message.  While maybe somewhat flowery with his condolences, the Metropolitan still held firm to the Russian Orthodox bottom line of complaint against the pontificate of Pope John Paul.  

As far as diplomacy goes, and given that the body of Pope John Paul was still warm and the whole world and all the media focused on it, I think the young bishop did quite a good job!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 09:38:22 PM by Irish Hermit » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: