OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 07:13:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Other homeschoolers? Resources, etc...  (Read 2234 times) Average Rating: 0
Kerry W

Faith: Anglican - inquiring into Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: none

« on: April 30, 2014, 08:46:09 PM »

Hi, all!  I do NOT want to debate homeschooling.  I've been homeschooling my 4 children since my eldest was in 1st grade.  He's graduating and had his pick of 6 universities, so we've seen that it can work just fine!   Grin  (fyi -he's heading to James Madison Univ in VA!)

I'm new to the Orthodox world (not chrismated, but hope to be in God's timing) and am looking for like-minded homeschoolers (Orthodox, or leaning that way).  Any recommendations for forums, blogs, eloops would be so appreciated!!  Also - any curricula or other resources.  (A while ago I read a blog: "Evlogia", but I think she has quit blogging.  Anyway, she had been working on an Orthodox-based home school curriculum, but I'm not sure what became of that.)

Thank you in advance for any suggestions/help you may have to offer!

Kerry
in NC

SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 09:07:47 PM »

Christ is Risen!

Welcome to the forum.   Smiley
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 09:44:14 PM »

We homeschool 5 and it's a blast!  We use Rod & Staff curriculum (Mennonite curriculum).  It's excellent and biblically centered.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 09:45:20 PM by yeshuaisiam » Logged

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 10:08:20 PM »

Orthodox Christian Classical Homeschool Yahoo group
http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/orthodoxclassicalhs/info

Saint Emmelia Orthodox Homeschooling Conference, Antiochian Village, Ligonier, PA
http://www.antiochian.org/village-hosts-homeschooling-conference-families

Paidea Classics
http://paideaclassics.org/index.php

St. Raphael Orthodox Online Homeschool
http://raphaelschool.org/

Ages of Grace
http://thekhouriyehsaidwhat.wordpress.com/ages-of-grace/
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, you lack the proper φρόνημα

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 11:05:39 AM »

How would an Orthodox home school curriculum differ from non-Orthodox?

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 05:48:47 PM »

How would an Orthodox home school curriculum differ from non-Orthodox?

Matins. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 06:36:53 PM »

These are the biggest info hubs I could find. I haven't sifted through everything, so make of them what you will.

http://raphaelschool.org/
http://paideaclassics.org/index.php?sid=&show=faq&ref=105
https://www.pinterest.com/stormimay/homeschooling-the-orthodox-church/

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Kerry W

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 09:50:37 AM »

Thanks, all!  I do appreciate the links and suggestions.  :-)  And thank you for the forum welcome!

Kerry
Kerry W

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 09:52:01 AM »

We homeschool 5 and it's a blast!  We use Rod & Staff curriculum (Mennonite curriculum).  It's excellent and biblically centered.

I love homeschooling, too!  Good old Rod and Staff!   How old are your kids?
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 10:09:40 AM »

Why homeschooling? Doesn't that take an awful lot of time, energy and expertise in all sorts of subjects?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 10:09:56 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
Kerry W

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 10:52:11 AM »

Why homeschooling? Doesn't that take an awful lot of time, energy and expertise in all sorts of subjects?

Yes, but it is worth it. 
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 11:35:54 AM »

It also saves your kids from being indoctrinated into modern and mislead thought, ideals and suggestions.

I don't have kids, but, if I did....and knowing what goes on in my public schools, I would definitely pull for homeschooling.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Arachne
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2014, 12:19:07 PM »

It also saves your kids from being indoctrinated into modern and mislead thought, ideals and suggestions.

I don't have kids, but, if I did....and knowing what goes on in my public schools, I would definitely pull for homeschooling.

If schools in my area were as abysmal as I hear about over there, I'd go hungry myself to hire a tutor for my son, and enroll him into online school when older. I'm staggeringly inadequate to handle homeschooling by myself.

Thank goodness the system is good and supportive here, so I don't have to make any such choices.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2014, 12:25:36 PM »

If schools in my area were as abysmal as I hear about over there, I'd go hungry myself to hire a tutor for my son, and enroll him into online school when older. I'm staggeringly inadequate to handle homeschooling by myself.

Thank goodness the system is good and supportive here, so I don't have to make any such choices.

Really? I read that British schools were horrible. Then again, it was Theodore Dalrymple who said that and he isn't very optimistic about anything.

-Samuel Coleridge
Arachne
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2014, 12:35:30 PM »

Really? I read that British schools were horrible. Then again, it was Theodore Dalrymple who said that and he isn't very optimistic about anything.

With all the school options available here, I wonder how anyone could know enough for such a sweeping statement.

Thing is, the most important element in a school's quality seems to be the headteacher. A competent head can turn a school from failing to excellence in a couple of years. About as long as it takes an incompetent one to demolish it.

Eruvande

Faith: Anglican

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2014, 08:31:28 AM »

We home educated for a while, a mixture of academics and child-directed stuff. It was fun, and everyone enjoyed and speaks well of that time. I have a good friend who uses Sonlight. My children now attend mainstream schooling in the UK, and it's going well - at least one teacher said it was because they'd had a good kick-off at home Smiley Many blessings to you as you raise yours.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2014, 09:10:20 PM »

She didn't quit blogging, she just stopped blogging at evologia. She has a blog called seamless now that is more about her family, and less of a curricula. You can still find her stuff archived in some places.

We are homeschooling our kids. The eldest child is 12.5, the youngest is just about 1 year old. With deployments, and various health issues we have struggled with thru the years; we have found a pseudo-unschooling approach that works very well. It works well enough that despite not having anything formal outside of math, and handwriting, our kids surpass grade standards on their yearly assessments. Our eldest is at college level in certain subjects. We read a great deal, get out and do stuff whenever possible, and watch a lot of documentaries from various points of view. In other words; we don't tell the kids to believe the view that we lean toward, we introduce all the views whenever possible.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 09:14:20 PM by Quinault » Logged
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2014, 11:31:24 PM »

I love homeschooling, too!  Good old Rod and Staff!   How old are your kids?

15 down to 5 years old. Smiley

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2014, 11:32:48 PM »

The scriptures tell us to train up our children in the Lord so that they will not depart from it.   The public school system has abandoned God and forbidden his word to be taught to the students.

Eruvande

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2014, 08:13:08 AM »

Thankfully not all schools. Smiley
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2014, 08:28:46 AM »

Thankfully not all schools. Smiley

The American education system is different from ours. We have state-funded parish schools and confessional grammar schools. The Americans have a court-imposed laïcité, modelled on the French system. Their loss.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 08:33:41 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

-Samuel Coleridge
Eruvande

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2014, 10:26:49 AM »

Ah, of course.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2014, 05:16:00 PM »

The scriptures tell us to train up our children in the Lord so that they will not depart from it.   The public school system has abandoned God and forbidden his word to be taught to the students.

Abandoned would imply that God was in the system as a whole to begin with. It isn't coincidental that the church based indian re-education schools were the most abusive ones. I am utterly unconvinced that God had much to do with education on a national level in the US. It was a means of leveling the field. Some schools were excellent, others were awful. I think the same could be said for schools now. We unfortunately live in one of those places with a horrible educational system (50% graduation rate in some places, most can't pass the end of term classes on a given subject). Because it is so awful, we homeschool.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2014, 11:39:25 PM »

Abandoned would imply that God was in the system as a whole to begin with. It isn't coincidental that the church based indian re-education schools were the most abusive ones. I am utterly unconvinced that God had much to do with education on a national level in the US. It was a means of leveling the field. Some schools were excellent, others were awful. I think the same could be said for schools now. We unfortunately live in one of those places with a horrible educational system (50% graduation rate in some places, most can't pass the end of term classes on a given subject). Because it is so awful, we homeschool.

In the early days, "public school" was more like private school.  The parents who had children who went paid for it and were on the school boards.  Often this had prayer.

But yes, the fully public schools we know today, I agree never really had God to begin with.

kelly
UNSUBSCRIBED from the world
OC.net guru

laughter is the best medicine

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2014, 06:30:01 PM »

And which version of Christianity are the evil public schools supposed to teach? Orthodox? Catholic? Lutheran? Anabaptist? Not all Americans are one denomination.

kelly and I spend all our free time collecting pictures of Russian monarchs.  Its a thing we do.
xOrthodox4Christx
Warned
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2014, 06:41:58 PM »

And which version of Christianity are the evil public schools supposed to teach? Orthodox? Catholic? Lutheran? Anabaptist? Not all Americans are one denomination.

I agree. Teaching Protestantism (the majority American religion) in public schools would be a violation of the Constitutional rights of Muslims, Jews, Orthodox, Catholics etc.

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2014, 10:29:36 PM »

Then perhaps that strengthens my argument about public schools.  Because they can't.

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2014, 10:30:45 PM »

I agree. Teaching Protestantism (the majority American religion) in public schools would be a violation of the Constitutional rights of Muslims, Jews, Orthodox, Catholics etc.

Not teaching your children the scriptures is a violation of what God told us to do.  "Train your children up in the Lord"....   Most children go to an atheist school and go home to TV and video games.

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2014, 10:47:28 PM »

Not teaching your children the scriptures is a violation of what God told us to do.  "Train your children up in the Lord"....   Most children go to an atheist school and go home to TV and video games.

Then God should've given everyone a copy of the book, because AFAIK for most of human history, the average Joe didn't have the wealth or the literacy to afford and use a Bible. 

Or maybe "Train your children up in the Lord" means something other or more than beating a book into their little brains.   

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2014, 11:24:30 PM »

Then God should've given everyone a copy of the book, because AFAIK for most of human history, the average Joe didn't have the wealth or the literacy to afford and use a Bible. 

Or maybe "Train your children up in the Lord" means something other or more than beating a book into their little brains.   

I didn't say a book, nor that children should read a book.  Rather one should teach their children the scriptures.

And no thanks to the Catholic church, was the Bible repressed for a bunch of that history.

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2014, 11:46:24 PM »

And no thanks to the Catholic church, was the Bible repressed for a bunch of that history.

LOL.  You mean the Church whose monasteries reproduced Bibles by hand, read from it and prayed from it seven or eight times daily, and in so many other ways preserved it through the centuries so that Protestants could claim it as their own and pretend that they received it from the heavens without the benefit of fifteen centuries of tradition? 

Please. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

look into my lovable alpaca eyes

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2014, 11:47:12 PM »

I didn't say a book, nor that children should read a book.  Rather one should teach their children the scriptures.

Repressed in what ways specifically?

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
kelly
OC.net guru

« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2014, 03:40:53 PM »

Then perhaps that strengthens my argument about public schools.  Because they can't.

Yesh, I think you would be better off living on an undiscovered island by yourself with your family. You against the world.

kelly and I spend all our free time collecting pictures of Russian monarchs.  Its a thing we do.
kelly
OC.net guru

« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2014, 03:43:06 PM »

Repressed in what ways specifically?

I'm assuming he's referring to the Scriptures not being in the vernacular and not available for the average layperson. Nevermind the fact that your average layperson would've been virtually or totally illiterate for most of that time.

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2014, 11:49:00 AM »

LOL.  You mean the Church whose monasteries reproduced Bibles by hand, read from it and prayed from it seven or eight times daily, and in so many other ways preserved it through the centuries so that Protestants could claim it as their own and pretend that they received it from the heavens without the benefit of fifteen centuries of tradition? 

Please. 
"You are consistently one of the cruelest posters on this forum." - William

Geez, Mor, didn't you know that Christ gave us the NIV Bible for all nations?

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: