OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 07:13:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icons and Cold Sores  (Read 339 times) Average Rating: 0
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« on: April 29, 2014, 10:21:43 PM »

I'm putting this in free-for-all because I think it fits the description of "silliness."  Cheesy

Is anyone else a germaphobe like me, who fears kissing icons because the last person to kiss an icon may or may not have had a cold sore?

Grin

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 10:27:16 PM »

Yes.  Sometimes I do so; sometimes I fake it and bump my head against the icon. 
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 10:31:29 PM »

No.
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 10:32:15 PM »

I have never considered that to be a concern. Sometimes, I rub my lips in a circular motion just to tempt fate.  Wink

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 10:37:27 PM »

I have never considered that to be a concern. Sometimes, I rub my lips in a circular motion just to tempt fate.  Wink

Welcome back! 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 10:39:52 PM »

I will admit not having ever considered cold sores, but...

Yes.  Sometimes I do so; sometimes I fake it and bump my head against the icon. 

...this is what I do when I have a reasonable certainty that someone sick venerated an icon or a cross before I am to do so. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 10:49:37 PM »

Welcome back! 
Thanks!  I hope you are not too disappointed.  Wink

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 11:00:18 PM »

I hope you are not too disappointed.  Wink

Never!

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Chalcedonian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 11:13:12 PM »

As much as getting scratched by objects makes me wonder if I contracted something, kissing anything has never caused me concern.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 11:23:54 PM »

I believe my faith protects me from illness while engaged in such pious activities. I have never really thought about it, to be honest. But then I haven't had a cold sore in probably 18-20 years so... outta sight outta mind maybe.

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 11:38:21 PM »

As much as getting scratched by objects makes me wonder if I contracted something, kissing anything has never caused me concern.

You dog...  Wink

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Chalcedonian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2014, 12:06:10 AM »

You dog...  Wink

I can't deny it, I have kissed many a Lady in my day. angel
LBK
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2014, 02:46:07 AM »

I've never been squeamish about venerating icons for fear of being infected with anything. As for cold sores, I have no fear of catching them, as I've been getting them a couple of times a year for nigh on 25 years.  Wink
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2014, 04:26:58 AM »

Nah. If you have to worry about someone venerating ahead of you having something catchy, that should be the sniffles, not cold sores. I've never seen the flu sweep through a parish like the plague, so...

For the record, whether you get cold sores or not is almost entirely on your own immune system, rather than any crud you get exposed to. By adulthood, about 90% of the population has been exposed (and developed immunity) to Epstein-Barr virus, and they will develop symptoms only if their defences are down. I've only had cold sores once in my life, when I was forced to work 13 days in a row without a break in the run-up to Christmas. Smiley

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Ferd Berfel

Jurisdiction: GOARCH

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2014, 08:29:58 AM »

Cold sores come from the herpes simplex virus, which is transmitted through bodily fluid contact. You would have to kiss the still-wet saliva or pus from another person's cold sore and get it into a cut on your lip or in your mouth to actually get a cold sore. In general, this isn't really something that you need to be terribly concerned about. If you're really worried, just do the nose touch instead.  Wink
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2014, 08:55:42 AM »

If I feared getting a cold sore from the person in fron of me, I would just kiss another spot/corner on the icon.

TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2014, 09:02:07 AM »

In addition to saving the soul, I think of Orthodoxy as the ultimate immune system booster.  There are so many germs getting shared with all the kissing and touching things, it builds up your immunity.

LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2014, 09:03:12 AM »

If I feared getting a cold sore from the person in fron of me, I would just kiss another spot/corner on the icon.

^This.

If you are truly worried, kiss a location that most folks don't kiss.  People usually head for the feet, hands, shoulder, and some kiss the faces,....

Just kiss the corner of the icon....

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2014, 09:04:02 AM »

In addition to saving the soul, I think of Orthodoxy as the ultimate immune system booster.  There are so many germs getting shared with all the kissing and touching things, it builds up your immunity.

So true...especially this time of year!

You can hardly meet someone without exchanging, not ONE, but, THREE kisses with them!   Kiss   Kiss   Kiss 

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2014, 09:07:55 AM »

I was at an OCA parish on Palm Sunday and there was very little kissing.  Is that normal for OCA parishes?  At my Antiochian parish, we kiss everyone and everything. I just assumed that was normal.

DeniseDenise
Tiredness personified
Archon

Faith: Catechumen no more!
Jurisdiction: OCA

What curls do on a bad hair day!

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2014, 09:35:24 AM »

I was at an OCA parish on Palm Sunday and there was very little kissing.  Is that normal for OCA parishes?  At my Antiochian parish, we kiss everyone and everything. I just assumed that was normal.

I think each parish varies.  Ours is kissy, but I think kissing like that is a cultural thing, so many Americans are not comfy with it in general even outside Orthodoxy.

Affection is saved for parents and romantic partners.

I on the other hand grew up kissing all and sundry. Try explaining to people that you have kissed every cousin you have, on the lips. Platonically so, but folks still freak right out.

Please secure your own oxygen mask before assisting other passengers.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2014, 09:44:58 AM »

I was born a worrier, so this is naturally one of my big concerns.  I try to kiss a very obscure part of the icon that most won't go for - the far corner, or even part of the frame.  I feel better.  I also like to arrive earlier to Church and venerate the icons before anyone else is there, that way they've been freshly cleaned. Smiley

When it comes to other stuff, like the base of the chalice, the gospels at confession, the cross, or even Father's hand, I just have to take my chances. 

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2014, 10:12:09 AM »

Nah. If you have to worry about someone venerating ahead of you having something catchy, that should be the sniffles, not cold sores. I've never seen the flu sweep through a parish like the plague, so...

For the record, whether you get cold sores or not is almost entirely on your own immune system, rather than any crud you get exposed to. By adulthood, about 90% of the population has been exposed (and developed immunity) to Epstein-Barr virus, and they will develop symptoms only if their defences are down. I've only had cold sores once in my life, when I was forced to work 13 days in a row without a break in the run-up to Christmas. Smiley

Never had a cold sore, so venerating icons doesn't seem to be a factor. Like Arachne said, also haven't noticed any increase in communicable diseases in the parish.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2014, 10:36:03 AM »

I think each parish varies.  Ours is kissy, but I think kissing like that is a cultural thing, so many Americans are not comfy with it in general even outside Orthodoxy.

Affection is saved for parents and romantic partners.

I on the other hand grew up kissing all and sundry. Try explaining to people that you have kissed every cousin you have, on the lips. Platonically so, but folks still freak right out.

Our parish is kissy, but, like you, I grew up in a kissy environment.  Kissing all relatives is pretty normal, especially kissing our elders even if they are not related to you.

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2014, 12:13:26 AM »

I have memories of being 4 years old at St. Vlad's on forgiveness Sunday.  All I can remember is there were literally hundreds and hundreds of men with beards - and to a 4 year old, they were very pokey and scratchy.

I think it was penance for things to come, because my face was raw for a month.  LOL   I was so happy when the occasional lady came by - especially an old woman with really soft wrinkly skin.

To add afterwards my mother rubbed alcohol on my cheeks for germ reasons!!!!

For icons I wouldn't really think people would slobber kiss those.   I do remember cleaning them because of lipstick so that's kind of gross.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2014, 12:15:43 AM »

I was born a worrier, so this is naturally one of my big concerns.  I try to kiss a very obscure part of the icon that most won't go for - the far corner, or even part of the frame.  I feel better.  I also like to arrive earlier to Church and venerate the icons before anyone else is there, that way they've been freshly cleaned. Smiley

When it comes to other stuff, like the base of the chalice, the gospels at confession, the cross, or even Father's hand, I just have to take my chances. 

Many monks don't bathe, just letting you know.   J/K they wash but not bathe like you or I.

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2014, 12:47:58 AM »

I think it was penance for things to come, because my face was raw for a month.  LOL   I was so happy when the occasional lady came by - especially an old woman with really soft wrinkly skin.

YiM, this is entirely too arousing.  Please stop tempting us with un-canonical sexuality. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2014, 12:53:21 AM »

YiM, this is entirely too arousing.  Please stop tempting us with un-canonical sexuality. 

haha.   The truth doesn't hurt.  Wink

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: