OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 03:19:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Panakhyda on the 9th day of repose  (Read 629 times) Average Rating: 0
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« on: April 29, 2014, 08:55:00 PM »

Why do we serve a panakhyda/memorial service on the 9th day of someone's passing?

As I understand it, burial is on day 3 (with Divine Liturgy and/or Panakhyda), Panakhyda on 9th day, 40th day and 1 year anniversary.

What is the significance of these dates?

I know what I've been taught, but, I'd like to hear what others have to say.

Thanks in advance.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 08:57:40 PM »

As I understand it, burial is on day 3 (with Divine Liturgy and/or Panakhyda), Panakhyda on 9th day, 40th day and 1 year anniversary.

What is the significance of these dates?

Very basically, this is a Christianisation of various cultural customs surrounding death, burial, and mourning.  There are regional differences in which days are particularly important for prayer and remembrance.   

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 08:24:44 PM »

So, anyone know why the Slavs hold day 3, 9, and 40 as significant?

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 08:55:38 PM »

Hi Liza.  Yes, I will pm you with the relevent section from my catechism. 
kelly
UNSUBSCRIBED from the world
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

laughter is the best medicine

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 09:11:10 PM »

Hi Liza.  Yes, I will pm you with the relevent section from my catechism. 

Could you send this to me too, Father?

kelly and I spend all our free time collecting pictures of Russian monarchs.  Its a thing we do.
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 09:47:05 PM »

Hi Liza.  Yes, I will pm you with the relevent section from my catechism.  

Thanks, Father!

That was most informative, and exactly what I was looking for!

What you sent is exactly what I had been taught....however, I have been told I was wrong and was told that the 9 days are symbolic of a 9 month human gestation period.   angel

I tried to tell them that wasn't right, but,....

« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 09:48:47 PM by LizaSymonenko » Logged

—St. Isaac of Syria
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 10:39:30 PM »

Hi Liza.  Yes, I will pm you with the relevent section from my catechism.  

Thanks, Father!

That was most informative, and exactly what I was looking for!

What you sent is exactly what I had been taught....

Is it a secret?

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

kelly
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 10:50:01 PM »

I didn't get the PM.

Can it just be posted here? I'd really like to hear the explanation behind the whole thing.

kelly and I spend all our free time collecting pictures of Russian monarchs.  Its a thing we do.
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 11:42:30 PM »

Greeks have the same tradition.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
kelly
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 11:56:15 PM »

I have an irrational--or maybe not irrational--fear that no one will have the 3, 9, and 40 day panikhidas for me. I'm the only Orthodox Christian in my family.

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 12:24:10 AM »

I have an irrational--or maybe not irrational--fear that no one will have the 3, 9, and 40 day panikhidas for me. I'm the only Orthodox Christian in my family.

It's not exceptionally difficult to arrange these things in advance, it just needs to be planned out a bit.  But many people think this is a bit morbid. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2014, 12:32:42 AM »

Kelly, if I'm still alive, and someone informs me of your passing, I will ensure these services are served for you.

Wink

—St. Isaac of Syria
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2014, 12:41:13 AM »

Kelly, if I'm still alive, and someone informs me of your passing, I will ensure these services are served for you.

Wink

Oh, God forbid that people like you two ever die!

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

LBK
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2014, 12:44:27 AM »

Wink

SECONDED!!!
kelly
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2014, 12:44:58 AM »

Wink

I'm actually immortal, I just wanted to throw you all off my trail.

Thank you, Liza. You're one of the shining lights of this forum, I really mean that.

kelly
OC.net guru

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2014, 12:45:38 AM »

Guys, I'm getting verklempt. I love you all too. GROUP HUG.

Father H
Archon

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2014, 12:45:51 AM »

The following is section 32 of chapter 27 of Orthodox Catechism.  I assume it won't have the proper formatting once I paste it, nor the footnotes.  I am therefore going to italicize the long quote from St. Makarios of Alexandria so that it will at least be somewhat sensible:

32. Why does the Church hold the funerary and memorial services on the days that it does, namely the 3rd, 9th, and 40th days after repose?:

The answer to this question comes from the Life of St. Makarios of Alexandria:

--When, on the third day, the body is brought to the Temple, the soul of the dead man receives from his Guardian Angel relief from the grief which he feels upon parting from his body.  This he receives because of the oblation and praise that are offered for him in God's Church, from which there arises in him a blessed hope.  For during the space of two days the soul is permitted to wander at will over all the earth, with the Angels that accompany it.  Therefore the soul, since it loves its body, sometimes hovers around the house in which it parted from the body; sometimes around the coffin wherein its body has been placed:  and thus it passes those days like a bird which seeks for itself a nesting-place. However, the beneficent soul wanders through those places where it would perform deeds of righteousness.
   On the third day He who rose from the dead commands that every soul, in imitation of his own Resurrection, shall be brought to heaven, that it may do reverence to the God of all.  Wherefore the Church has the blessed custom of celebrating oblation and prayers on the third day for the soul.    
After the soul has done reverence to God, He orders that it shall be shown the varied and fair abodes of the Saints and the beauty of Paradise.  All these things the soul views during six days, marveling and glorifying God, the Creator of all.  And when the soul has beheld all these things, it is changed, and forgets all the sorrow which it felt in the body, unless it is guilty of sins in which case, at the sight of the delights of the Saints, it begins to wail, and to reproach itself, saying: 'Woe is me! How vainly did I pass my time in the world!  Engrossed in the satisfaction of my desires, I passed the greater part of my life in heedlessness, and did not obey God as I should have so that I too might be granted these graces and glories.  Woe is me, poor wretch!'  
After having thus viewed all the joys of those who are just for the space of six days, the Angels lead the soul again to do reverence to God.  Therefore, the Church does well in that she celebrates the service and oblation for the Soul on the ninth day.
After its second reverence to God, the Master of all commands that the Soul be conducted to Hell [Hades], and there shown the places of torment, the different divisions of Hell [Hades]; and the various torments of the ungodly, which cause the souls of sinners that find themselves therein to groan continually, and to gnash their teeth.  Through these various places of torment the soul is borne during thirty days, trembling lest it also be condemned to imprisonment therein.
On the fortieth day, the soul is again taken to do reverence to God:  and then the Judge determines the fitting place of its incarceration, according to its deeds.  Thus the Church does rightly in making mention, upon the fortieth day, of the baptized dead.  (St. Makarios of Alexandria—from the Life of the Saint, the answer which the Saint received upon asking the angels which accompanied him why the Church celebrated religious services upon the third, ninth, and fortieth days after a death)

This passage, of course, refers to the soul's journey after death.  This ‘journey’ of the soul (Gk. psyche) has to be understood within the context that the soul physically is immediately in God’s presence already, for there is no place that He is not, and that the soul is already beginning the foretaste of bliss or torment.   It uses much symbolical language, and although not a dogmatic pronouncement of the Church, if understood correctly conveys truth.  One should keep in mind, however, that the soul does not perceive time in the same way once it is reposed.    
     St. Makarios roams the earth for a few days, and then for six days encounters the “pre-Judgment throne experience” of the abode of the Creator of all who created in the same amount of days as the experience (six).  Then for thirty days is driven into the wilderness of Hades, which is the 'abode' of the dead before the final judgment.  We are informed by the book of Revelation that at the final Judgment, Hades will be cast into the eternal hell (Gehenna) of fire, and therefore since sufferings also occur in Hades, it is also accorded the name 'hell' in many languages, since eternal hell is the final end of Hades.  
     After the 40th day, God determines the soul's appropriate place of 'incarceration' in the intermediate state.  The Lord calls the intermediate state of the abode with God “Paradise,” and in another place “Abraham’s Bosom.” The other abode is Hades. This is not the full eternal reward or condemnation that will be encountered at the Last and great Day of Judgment, but rather a partial judgment based upon God's foreknowledge of the future state of the soul and the final judgment. We therefore continue to pray for the soul after the repose of the person, since its end will not ultimately—from our point of view in time--be determined before the rest of humankind on the Last Day.  At the memorial services, often either kollyva or bread is brought as a type of prayer-act of the Church, in hopes that the soul will stand well in the resurrection of the dead.  

kelly
OC.net guru

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2014, 12:49:55 AM »

How did St. Makarios know this? (not being snarky)

Father H
Archon

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2014, 12:51:47 AM »

He was shown it. 
kelly
OC.net guru

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2014, 12:56:21 AM »

He was shown it. 

Thanks Father. I'll have to look into this more.

Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2014, 01:25:43 AM »

Thanks for your informative and inspiring Reply No 16, Father H.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
DeniseDenise
Warned
Archon

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2014, 01:54:11 AM »

Panakhyda Club anyone?     Grin
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2014, 10:33:53 AM »

Your paid membership guarantees you that a panikhida will be served at your home parish and a cathedral of your choice!

DeniseDenise
Warned
Archon

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2014, 10:38:19 AM »

Your paid membership guarantees you that a panikhida will be served at your home parish and a cathedral of your choice!

now now...paying for services is not so great....I was thinking more like a true club...a consortium of 'orthodox relative-less' people.....who keep in touch and keep track and do so as an act of comeraderie....
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2014, 11:28:55 AM »

I actually love that idea.

Seriously.

....because I love all of you, as if I truly knew in person.  Smiley

—St. Isaac of Syria
kelly
OC.net guru

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2014, 11:55:12 AM »

I am all for that. Members would have to check in every month. Dont check in and we'll assume you're dead.

DeniseDenise
Warned
Archon

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2014, 12:04:16 PM »

I am all for that. Members would have to check in every month. Dont check in and we'll assume you're dead.

well you also leave a 'in case of my untimely demise, please email these emails with the news'  instructions....

laugh

Just like everything else in my will, it will be taken care of by *gasp* a lawyer, since I will be the last of the last
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2014, 12:41:00 PM »

Yeah, I suggest leaving instructions with someone such as a lawyer, or taping a poster on the wall withe contact information.

Checking in monthly defeats the whole 3, 9 and 40 days cycle.  Grin

We would need to know immediately.

I think it would also be good to read the Psalms for said individual.

When my uncle/godfather passed away (it will be 10 years this year - may his memory be eternal), my mom and I spent the entire night locked in the church with his body, and I read through all the psalms over him....by candlelight....as mom dozed on a bench with a blanket over her.

It was actually rather nice.

—St. Isaac of Syria
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: