OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 02:49:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is the catholic holy water "holy"?  (Read 6826 times) Average Rating: 0
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #90 on: January 18, 2012, 05:13:06 PM »

If someone finds a label used to identify them offensive and an alternative is just as easy to use and is just as descriptive, the only reason to use the former is pride.

The term "uniate" was invented by the "Orthodox in union with Rome"  to describe themselves.  They wore it with pride.  In Europe the term is still used.  It is not so offensive there as it is now seen in the US.   Look at the writings of the Polish Professor Waclaw Hryniewicz, a Catholic theologian and director of the Ecumenical Institute at the Catholic University of Lublin

Like I've said before, I never sensed, growing up where and when I did that the 'U' word was offensive. The Orthodox and the Greek Catholics used it to refer to the Greek Catholics. Don't hear it so much nowadays so perhaps it just sounds offensive today. However, in deference to board policies, I abide by the rule - although I have 'slipped' from time to time when my fingers type faster than my brain!

Board policies are wise because most members are American and there seems greater sensitivity there to some words.
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #91 on: January 18, 2012, 05:40:21 PM »

I've never understood why it offensive. I had a Ukrainian Byzantine Catholic advisor who had no qualms about using the word to  describe herself.

The word itself is neutral.  It is the way it is used that makes it offensive.  Most Orthodox that insist on using it mean it as code for traitor/scum.  Vatican is a neutral word as well but from Isa's keyboard it becomes offensive.  Schismatic and dissident are neutral in themselves as well  but if I use them an alternative name for Orthodox they become offensive. 

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #92 on: January 18, 2012, 08:50:41 PM »

I've never understood why it offensive. I had a Ukrainian Byzantine Catholic advisor who had no qualms about using the word to  describe herself.

What I find offensive is "Orthodox in communion with Rome." It gnaws at my innards because it is 1) so obviously false and 2) an attempt to hijack our heritage.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #93 on: January 18, 2012, 08:51:16 PM »

Schismatic and dissident are neutral in themselves

I don't think I can agree with you there. As Sir Thomas More said in A Man For All Seasons, about the word heretic, "It's not a likable word. It's not a likable thing."

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Tags: Holy Water blessed water cheval mort cheval ressuscité 
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: